• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running Question

stabmasterarson said:
I looked at the fitness prep pdf for the passing times for the 2.4k run, and I was wondering if you had to run constantly for the whole time at a steady pace when qualifiying. The reason I ask is I did the run the other day and finished it in 10:52 which for my age (35) is considered superior. The thing is is I kind of ran a little too fast on the first 3 laps (1:30ish), so I was sucking wind a bit in my last 3 laps and walked probably a total of 100m out of the 2.4k on the last 3 laps.

On all the PT tests I've done, they never cared what our time was for each lap, just the end time. If your total run time was a pass, thats all they cared about an not that you started out fast an slowed down. An like armychick said on BMQ you will do the beep test. But you can expect to run for morning PT.

As for the shuttle run prep some people here have recommended downloading the beep test an training for that. I don't buy into that theory. What I do for PT is running varied distances aswell as intervals, Crossfit/BrassRingFitness/MilitaryAthlete, weights an ruck marches. I've never specifically trained for the beep test/shuttle run an I've always scored good on it.

Thanks for the info guys. I have the beep test but I can't run it yet because my surgeon told me I couldn't sprint then come to a dead stop just yet, it would be too hard on my hamstring graft. I think I can start doing that stuff in February. The way my application is proceeding I think it's highly unlikely I would be offered a job or get sent to BMQ before then anyway.

Hello all

I've been training in preparation for BMOQ for several weeks now, mostly strength work with some cardio exercises thrown in. A general workout for me has been, so far, 35 pushups, 40 situps, and 3-5 minutes of jumping jacks. It works up a good sweat for me, and it isn't easy yet, but by pushing myself, and giving myself short breathers between exercises, I can do it. Also, every couple of days I will go into my school's weightroom and get a good 15-30 minutes in on the bicycles.

So I'm thinking it's time to start my least favourite exercise, but one of the most important ones for the Forces: Running. Yesterday, I tested myself on a 1.5 mile run on my treadmill, which I finished in 13 minutes, from a brisk walk and a bit of jogging to warm up, followed by several minutes of full running, and then a couple minutes of walking to cool down after I hit the 1.5 mile mark. I was dead tired afterwards, and spent maybe a minute laying on my couch, breathing heavily. I was just wondering if there's any specific 'trick' or something to running, or do you just keep doing it until it's easy, like most other exercises? Also, I have a few questions about gear: I've just been wearing my Air Cadet-issue PT t-shirt, shorts and shoes. The shoes are workable, but not that great, and I know nothing about running shoes, so any suggestions on what would be a good kind for treadmill training in preparation for BMOQ?

Any advice you guys have would be much appreciated!

Running isn't very fun.  I hate it, but there are ways to make it better.

First, Google "Good Running Form".  It's essentially good posture, swinging your arms forward as opposed to side by side (across your chest), keeping your body relaxed while also making sure your arms are bent at the elbow.  You also want to land on your feet a certain way to avoid shock, and to help with the "bounce".

Second, I can't help you with shoes, but you will want them.  They help a lot.  Go to a sporting goods store like SportChek or Source For Sports and check out their running gear.  They should have running shoes.  Put a few pairs on and see how they fit.  You want them to fit snug, while not pushing on your feet in any uncomfortable manner.  The bottoms should provide some cushioning.  For a good pair, you could spend $70.00+ but it'll be worth it -- Especially once you go over for BMQ.

Third, running sucks.  Some love it, and others hate it.  The more you keep at it, the better you get at it and the longer you can go without hating it.  It's a necessary evil.  I completely feel your pain.

I used to love running but I hate it now and my knees remind me of that daily.

Shoes and form are very important. If you are serious, I would suggest that you seek the advice of the local running room or a store like it. My last runners were well over $150. Footwear is the only thing where I think the more expensive ones might actually be worth it. Take care of your feet, knees and back etc. Trust me.

I like swimming better now, and I do about 2 hrs a week of it.

Prairie Boy, I'll give you what little knowledge I know on the subject.

When you go to the shoe place, you'll be greeted with a plethora of shoes... probably about 50 different kinds to choose from, maybe more.  Which to choose? So many!

I have about five pairs. One is a good running shoe... one is a trail running shoe... one is for cross-training, and one for the gym only.

Each fit my feet differently. Each do a different job. For example, the running shoe has more of a roll to it, so you lean forward more and less impact on the knees. My trail running shoe has a bit more ankle support and less of a roll, flatter... to help with running over roots/trees, etc. with a better grip. My gross-training shoe is the one I (used to) use for triathlons. It had enough of a roll but a more harder surface which helped with pedaling. Gym shoes are designed to give better ankle support when you're playing indoor-type activities where you'd need that kind of support.

Now, when I did this 3-week course this past summer, I brought my running shoe and my cross-trainer. When the Sgt. saw I had two pairs of shoes, he said "You only need one pair". I wasn't about to argue WHY I brought two pairs but it's definitely something I'm keeping in mind for when Basic Training comes my way... I'm going to bring the cross-trainer. I know there's a lot of indoor PT stuff that we'll be doing and a proper running shoe just ain't going to cut it...

Maybe this is the part where I can ask one of the instructors (not meant to hijack the hijacked thread!) ... can we bring two different pairs of shoes to Basic? Or, just one? If it's just the one, definitely am brining the cross-trainers. If I can bring two, then I'll obviously bring the runner AND the cross-trainer.

Whatever you do... make sure you try on as many as you can without driving yourself ape-shit. Runners should feel nice and light, breathable (helps get rid of sweat plus on raining days, you don't get the squish-squish feeling in there as badly resulting in less blistering!)... and, buy yourself a good pair of proper running socks. Seriously, they make all the difference.

This all being said?

I hate running, with a passion. A necessary evil but... I hate it. The triathlons sucked because I really only liked the swim portion and biking...

Good luck with it!

popnfresh said:
I like swimming better now, and I do about 2 hrs a week of it.

Why didn't I think of that before!?

It's hard to categorize this workout, but it's got cardio, muscle strength, and endurance all combined into one...  B.J. Penn does it to build his cardio up.

You run underwater.  There's weighted brick things you can get, and you put them in your hands and they sink you to the bottom of a pool and you just start going full speed in one direction.  Once you want out, you drop the bricks and swim up.  You'll need to retrieve the bricks, but just get them one at a time and you're fine.  It's a fun thing to add to a workout.  Especially for those who love the pool and want to build some cardio.  Don't hold your breath too long and too often in one go though, it can be unhealthy.  As long as you don't put yourself into a situation where you're gasping for air when you come out of the water, you're okay.

Wow that sounds pretty tough...whatever floats..errr sinks your boat I guess.

The good thing about water skills is that they are in some ways directly transferrable to your career. You might encounter water and it is good to be confident in your abilities.

I'm a pretty good swimmer now, so the next thing I want to learn to do is tread water with weight. With my luck however, I will end up "running" on the bottom in short order.

popnfresh said:
Wow that sounds pretty tough...whatever floats..errr sinks your boat I guess.

The good thing about water skills is that they are in some ways directly transferrable to your career. You might encounter water and it is good to be confident in your abilities.

I'm a pretty good swimmer now, so the next thing I want to learn to do is tread water with weight. With my luck however, I will end up "running" on the bottom in short order.

Haha, I've only done it a couple of times, but you're completely right.  It's fun to do with other people too.  You can compete to see who can go the farthest.  You'll feel it the next day though.  Muscles all over will be aching!

Treading water with weights, eh?  I haven't tried that.  Sounds horrible :p

Anyway, didn't mean to derail the thread too much haha.

owa said:
Don't hold your breath too long and too often in one go though, it can be unhealthy.  As long as you don't put yourself into a situation where you're gasping for air when you come out of the water, you're okay.

What's considered too long?

I thought you started killing brain cells after ~ten seconds?

I also thought the whole point of the running underwater exercise was to essentially go for as long as you possibly could, coming up for air only when completely necessary. Each training session, you strive to increase the time you are able to stay under.

Also, until recently, BJ Penn was notorious for his lack of training and coasting solely on his talent, so I don't know how much stock I'd put in his methods.

Running with a big rock in the ocean looks pretty bad a**, though.

Get some 1 1/2" nylon web strap and hang a couple of plates front and rear, run back and forth across the pool about mid chest depth.  Does the same thing without the oxygen deprivation.  We did this in high school for rugby and football, builds endurance like a mofo.  Made rucking and mauling way more efficient.

You can also kill brain cells by shaking your head too vigorously? What your point?

In all seriousness though, you won't kill any brain cells solely by holding your breath. Your body's natural reaction would be to pass out and start breathing again, before it would let you kill yourself slowly by holding your breath.

That poses a problem if you are underwater when it happens of course, but that is beyond the point.

There are a lot of websites out there offering swimming stuff. It's awesome cardio and it allows great room for improvement... you can work yourself as hard or as easy as you like.

I just started treading water with bricks... I grabbed a 20 pounder and started to do it in 15 second increments. I kept almost going under and these old ladies were all, "Wow! That looks hard! How much does it weigh?" I told them only 20 pounds... then, I said... "I just lost 50 pounds. How on earth did I swim before????" Laughter all around. But, in all seriousness, try a 10 pounder first. The next day, my legs definitely felt the workout... it actually felt like I had done a ton of lunges... so, I got the muscle workout I needed without the extra strain of gravity. If you want to make it harder, you can try lifting the weight above your head or in front of you.

However, don't try and be a super hero or try to look cool and hold the weight if you're struggling. Just let it go and try to retrieve it from the bottom if you can. I'd hate to see any of you drown out there!

BTW... try the smaller weights first and go up from there. I used to be a lifeguard so I knew I could handle the 20-lbs but I'd definitely recommend a lighter weight.

Other things to try... legs only (scissor, egg-beater) to travel your lengths. Really builds the thigh muscles. Also they have those pads which can go on your hand to make front crawl much more difficult. And finally, if you want to give your arms a great workout, find one of those floaty things that go between your ankles or thighs to keep your legs afloat and use your arms only for the lengths.

Water workouts can be as easy or as difficult as you decide to make it!

Kratos said:
What's considered too long?

I thought you started killing brain cells after ~ten seconds?

I also thought the whole point of the running underwater exercise was to essentially go for as long as you possibly could, coming up for air only when completely necessary. Each training session, you strive to increase the time you are able to stay under.

Also, until recently, BJ Penn was notorious for his lack of training and coasting solely on his talent, so I don't know how much stock I'd put in his methods.

Running with a big rock in the ocean looks pretty bad a**, though.

I'd put a lot of stock into what BJ Penn is doing.  In his last fight he dominated for all 5 rounds and looked as fresh at the end as he did going in.  Plus, it's not like he's the one coming up with the training plans.  He has world-class trainers to tell him what he should be doing.  Just like he has world-class trainers teaching him how to fight and hone his natural talent.

You can decide on what you want when underwater.  I use it to simply try and go farther then I did last time.  I naturally increase my length underwater, but I don't push myself to the point where I'm turning purple and really struggling to get air when I get out of the water.

But yeah, pushing a big boulder on the beach in neck deep water gives a pretty badass mental image haha.  Certainly a neat trick to show the lady friends, haha.

I like what "Kat Stevens" posted.  I might try that.  Although, being underwater is a lot of fun, haha.

ballz said:
You can also kill brain cells by shaking your head too vigorously? What your point?

In all seriousness though, you won't kill any brain cells solely by holding your breath. Your body's natural reaction would be to pass out and start breathing again, before it would let you kill yourself slowly by holding your breath.

That poses a problem if you are underwater when it happens of course, but that is beyond the point.

My point was the guy said not to stay under too long because it's unhealthy when the point is to stay under as long as you possibly can.

Also, yes, yes you do kill brain cells by holding your breath. Lack of oxygen starts to take effect pretty quickly. Obviously not to any noticeable effect, because as you mentioned, your body won't let that happen, but it does kills brain cells.

Kratos said:
My point was the guy said not to stay under too long because it's unhealthy when the point is to stay under as long as you possibly can.

Also, yes, yes you do kill brain cells by holding your breath. Lack of oxygen starts to take effect pretty quickly. Obviously not to any noticeable effect, because as you mentioned, your body won't let that happen, but it does kills brain cells.

That isn't the point though.  The point is to push your body physically without hurting yourself.  As you get more comfortable in the water, you'll be able to stay under longer, but the real point is to push yourself for 30-60 seconds and then come up for air.  Maybe tread water and swim around, and then do it again a couple of minutes later.  You'd probably do it 5-8 times, but you won't force yourself to struggle for air.  It'd be great if one could do it while being able to take in air, but it isn't necessary because you'll still increase cardio and general muscle endurance when doing it in short bursts.  It's not the be all and and end all workout, but it's a great thing to do from time to time.

That's all I was saying.  I'm not sure how it got so confused.  I thought I was pretty clear.

Edit:  It is important to note that I do tend to stay under until I absolutely can't stay under anymore, but I know this is bad for me.  I accept that risk.  I just wasn't going to come on here and recommend everyone do it that way.

I still like what "Kat Stevens" said about keeping your head above water but still using weights so you can run effectively.  That'd be a neat thing to try.

Back