• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running Question

SoldierInTheMaking

Inactive
Reaction score
Well I just started running not to long ago, I started off maybe once a week and moved to 2-3 times a week I'm starting to feel and improvement so I was wondering, is bad to run everyday, I don't go for very long runs because I'm still building the distance but If I'm not sore the next day is it alright to go running again? I haven't done my first 5k yet but by the time basic comes I want to be able to do 5k like nothing.

I think the "experts" say to take a day off between working out.  But if you change up muscle groups each day that is not needed.  If you do not change muscle groups (IE: running everyday) you potentially build endurance.  And keep in mind, you will be doing alot of running, marching, climbing stairs during your basic training.  So, if you get in the habit of giving it your all everyday now it'll be much easier when the time comes.

That's just my two cents.  If you're in the forces now though, and wondering about a training schedule the PSP staff are always there for you.

I also read the most efficient way to train is to do both strength training and cardio training everyday, just do different muscle groups each day so that you don't strain anything.

From my experience during BOTP, if you train hard before you go and you a very fit, you may become less fit while on course.  If you do not train at all prior then going on course you will become a lot more fit.  If you are about average before course, you probably remain the same.  All and all, it's way better to be prepared or even over prepared before course as it'll be one less thing to worry about while there.  (It's better to be sore at home when you can get well rested and recover, than on course where you will lack the rest and recovery time)

No I am not in the forces...as I said I'd like to be in the best shape by the time I get to Basic......and I do switch muscle groups usually everyday I'm always doing push-ups and pull-ups or chin-ups and some sit-ups time to time sometimes I'll go to the gym and do some weight training as well so I'm always doing something different but I just want to get n the habit of running more because that is basically my only weakness. So I want to improve it the best I can.

Sounds like you're on the right track.  Once you work you way up to about 5km you should be good.  I'd say that's about the average run you'd be partaking in.  Also, get used to doing it at 0500h, morning PT is an excellent opportunity for your staff to take you out for a run.

so your saying I should start waking up at 0500h and go for a run.......I'll try and do that, I'll have to find me an alarm clock first lol but yea that should be pretty interesting.

ive known people that run everyday...I don't think that it effected them in a bad way.

You can definitely run everyday without any ill effects, as long as you don't run so hard you hurt your muscles, ie shin splits or anything like that.

SoldierInTheMaking said:
No I am not in the forces...as I said I'd like to be in the best shape by the time I get to Basic......and I do switch muscle groups usually everyday I'm always doing push-ups and pull-ups or chin-ups and some sit-ups time to time sometimes I'll go to the gym and do some weight training as well so I'm always doing something different but I just want to get n the habit of running more because that is basically my only weakness. So I want to improve it the best I can.

Your muscles are like a machine that rebuilds itself.

When you go to the gym, you break down the muscles. When you get home, and eat and rest (very important and often overlooked) the muscles you broke down rebuild themselves.

This is where there is a difference between humans and machines....those muscles will rebuild themselves as bigger and stronger than before (a fraction bigger but considerably stronger). This is the sore part of the story.

You should do different muscle groups each day because this shocks the system. If you do the same thing repetatively, the body gets "used" to it and almost starts to expect some sort of work out. When you do something different, the body must repair unexpected muscle groups and it does that better.

I did my first 4km run today pretty happy with myself, I no it's not much but for me it's a decent jump from what I was running, wasn't tired after or nothing just a bit sore in the feet.....I can see a big improvement already. Wednesday I'll go for the 4.5k or maybe even the 5, we'll see. My goal is to be able to run at least 6.5 or 7km by the time I get to basic.

I've been more or less following this schedule I saw off runnersworld.com.

Basically it builds you up to 5k in five weeks. Basically you run one day then rest or cross train the other day with Saturday as a rest day and a long run on Sundays. Each weeks the runs are longer and builds you up to 5k in the end.

What I've been doing is one long run a week, so far 4k, though I could do 5k if I pushed myself since it's only two and a half more laps. During the other days I do shorter 2.4k (6 laps) runs or 1.2k (3 laps) runs then another 1.2k sprinting down the straightaways and walking the curves. This interval training pushes the heart rate up and is a good cardio workout.

That's sort of what I have been doing but I made my own routine up. I started with 2.1k did that a few times then started doing 2.5k runs a couple times then I did a 3k run a couple times and yesterday I did my first 4k. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully get up to around 7k by the time I leave for basic or maybe even 8k. I usually run every other day depends how my body is feeling it or not but sometimes I'll even go to the gym and hit up the treadmill I started running on the treadmill  a while ago I ran for 20 min the first time on level 6, the second time 25 min on level 6 and the last time I did it I ran for 45 min so I can really see a big improvement. Last year I could probably only run on the treadmill for 15 min and I was really tired....but then again I use to be a smoker so I can see why.

Make sure you include some hills in your route, that really builds the strength and endurance.

There's no hills around where I live but there is an overpass so I'll start running on that, thanks!

SoldierInTheMaking said:
There's no hills around where I live but there is an overpass so I'll start running on that, thanks!

;D

Maybe you are not running far enough.  Any valleys around?

George Wallace said:
;D

Maybe you are not running far enough.  Any valleys around?

Well if I were to run to the nearest hill I would have to go about 10km and by the time I got there most likely wouldn't make it up the hill lol, I live in Sarnia.....there is nothing here.

[Edit to fix link]

SoldierInTheMaking said:
Well if I were to run to the nearest hill I would have to go about 10km and by the time I got there most likely wouldn't make it up the hill lol, I live in Sarnia.....there is nothing here.

Seriously; that would be a good goal to set for yourself.  Perhaps you could cycle to a park nearby and then use some running trails. 

George Wallace said:
Seriously; that would be a good goal to set for yourself.  Perhaps you could cycle to a park nearby and then use some running trails.

That would be a good goal, I'm always running on roads, because there's not much around where I live, so yea I might try it out and see how it goes.

Back