• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rules for additional gear for overseas?

multihobbist

Inactive
Reaction score
I spent about two years in Canadian Forces
and I find that the knee pads and elbow pads are not part of the standard issue.

For example, knee pads for myself were essential spending months in Meaford, espicially when it comes to short halt on the gravel roads everytime the navigator screws up.

Also, I find that with the standard body armour with plates, kneeling is preferred over prone position
I would like to know if the additional protection such as ballistic knee pads found on this website:
http://www.tacarm.com/
are allowed overseas.

You're right, kneepads & elbow pads are not "standard" issue, but troops that utilize this eqpt (including those deploying who will be utilizing it) ... are indeed issued it. And, from comments that I gotten and the amount of non-entitled people looking for it - they like it too.

As for your real purpose being to find out about "rules for additional gear overseas" --- search the site --- there's plenty of threads discussing civ kit overseas.

I was issued Hatch OD knee and elbow pads from my unit SQ. Have you tried asking there?

ArmyVern said:
As for your real purpose being to find out about "rules for additional gear overseas" --- 
If I was the betting sort, a quick posting history perusal suggests the "real purpose" is more likely LCF at Meaford or Connaught.  ;)

I'm not asking for the issue of the knee and elbow pads.
I'm wanting to know if I can carry additional ballistic protection in person overseas, I wish to get these products early because I wish to go by "Train as you fight"

Besides, I already broke 2 pairs of knee pads in meaford and my knees do give away once a while.

Another thread not worth contributing to...do you have a clut to what ballistic protection is and what it weighs and where do you expect to carry this additional protection

as a matter of fact I do know what ballistic protection is
do I know if it's approved and tested? There is no such way unless it is actually field tested.

I expect to carry this additional protections on knees and elbows since I usually use elbow and knee pads anyways,
what harm would there be if I train with them on my person, unless if that is a violation to the rule?
It will only be an advantage to have the extra protection if I could use them overseas.

The point of this thread was asking if there's a policy in Canada, law against having extra ballistic protection when going on a tour
since the U.S. does not allow certain body armours overseas.

2 years in the army eh? Know what your chain of command is? At the end of the day it's their call and you're better off asking them. As it stands I can't think of any one wanting more weight on them over seas, but hey, each their own.

multihobbist said:
since the U.S. does not allow certain body armours overseas.

That's because their were some troops buying their own vests at clearance prices and ended up being seriously injured when it failed.

Just wear a Redman suit and surround yourself in a bubble, then you'll be completely bulletproof and can roll the taliban into submission!!

I would love to be there when you show up with a whole bunch of extra crap for your first patrol....

and then when you come back from your first patrol....

And then see what you're wearing at the start of your second patrol...

CoC is all I needed to hear,
and yes, I did expect "you're an idiot" comments because I do know I wanna carry as light as possible
but I think it'll make no difference if I train with extra equipment for a long time, maybe does
when I decide to admit how stupid i am and take them off while trained to endure more weight.
-Thanks

That made absolutely no sense...

Perhaps we should concentrate on how to gather thoughts in a coherent manner?

That's more important to your survival then a set of tricked out elbow and knee pads.

multihobbist said:
I spent about two years in Canadian Forces
and I find that the knee pads and elbow pads are not part of the standard issue.

For example, knee pads for myself were essential spending months in Meaford, espicially when it comes to short halt on the gravel roads everytime the navigator screws up.

Also, I find that with the standard body armour with plates, kneeling is preferred over prone position
I would like to know if the additional protection such as ballistic knee pads found on this website:
http://www.tacarm.com/
are allowed overseas.

So really, what you mean is, "Hi, I've been a reservist for two years, and I want to buy some gucci body armour augmentation just in case my area get sanother tour after 1-10, and I'm actually selected to go."

Put it this way; you've got a long way to go before you're having to worry about whether our issued PPE is deficient or not. Unless you're worried about some hippie kicking you in the knee at G20, I wouldn't worry about buying enhanced ballistic protection.

The odds of fragmentation/fire hitting exactly the are covered by an elbow or kneepad, and ONLY that area - without causing incapacitating damage on either side of said pad on the unprotected part of the limb - is slim.

Kneepads and elbow pads are great, but buying some sort of gucci version with ballistic inserts is overkill. It's your money to waste, but particularly since you aren't slotted to go on tour, I wouldn't give it any further thought for the time being.

From a few of your past posts I'd bet you're either a Cameron or a Foot Guard. Both units have plenty of guys who've been overseas. Ask one of them. If you're with someone else, there ought to still be someone who can tell you more about deployment and kit.

I've used the knee pads for a couple months now and they are lighter than I thought they were
and they are also stiffer than the conventional knee pads and give me nice padding when I'm kneeling
on rocks and pebbles. Besides the cost, I think it is so far a nice investment. It also actually gives
some bit of protections from blunt force too. I'm talking about falling down from crater to crater and landing
on my knees, which with the other pair of knee pads it would hurt like **** but this one gives a nice
dispersion of force.

Back