• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Marine covers grenade with body and survives

bick

Reaction score
Havent many details, but L/Cpl Matt CROUCHER, RM, covered a grenade with his patrol pack and his body and survived blast with minimal injuries.  Brit newspapers are saying he has been recommended for a VC.  If awarded, will be first RM to be awarded one since WW2.

Bick

can we have the source of this article? not that I don't trust ya

all I gotta say is give the man a VC :salute: and what kind of pack was he using? I was one  :warstory:

Not thinking about self, protects the rest of the lads...Yup! Victoria Cross    :salute:
Excellent.  :army:

That is truly  amazing that he survived  I hope that he gets a medal for his show of courage  job well done .  Like some one else said a Hero.

Clothing stores in Bastion probably diffied him for the daysack...

He's been awarded a gong - the George Cross (since the Taliban apparently weren't firing at him his act is technically not in the face of the enemy, therefore the VC can't be awarded!). Story here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2445513/Royal-Marine-who-jumped-on-grenade-awarded-George-Cross.html

Bloody Marvelous.
Now that I've reread the entire colunm plus the one where he was awarded the GC; I noticed that he's from my hometown of Birmingham...small world...my great uncle was awarded the GC in WWII...another small world.
Looks Good On Ya Lad!! 
:cdn: 

we need a UK one too, mods??

I imagine he's pretty happy that he thought to put his pack between him and the grenade.

daftandbarmy said:
He would have, if he wasn't 'just a reservist'  ;D

Doubt the fact that he's "just a reservist" came into it - there seems to be some very strict interpretation on the requirement for enemy incoming fire to be awarded a VC; there was a case in one of the Gulf Wars where a lad ran back into a blazing armoured car to rescue others while being strafed from the air - the award of the GC rather than the VC was on the basis that the incoming rounds were "friendly fire" from an A10 rather than hostile fire from the other side. If you ask me, both cases deserved a VC due to being earned on the field of combat in an operational context, but then again my opinion will probably count for little since I'm "just a reservist" [ret'd]  :salute:  ;)

Ex-Pat FlagWagger said:
Doubt the fact that he's "just a reservist" came into it - there seems to be some very strict interpretation on the requirement for enemy incoming fire to be awarded a VC;

Roger that. We practise catch and release here, so feel free to remove barbless hook from lip!

Greymatters said:
Possible protective armour plates for rucksacks in the future... ?

Or as interpreted by the penny-pinching UK MoD, "Possible to use rucksacks in place of protective armour".

Incredible story. I was impressed and I have seen some close calls with frag grenades but not that close.

Back