• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Marine covers grenade with body and survives

the great white north said:
Very brave, and lucky. VC for sure.

Agree but don't speculate on the UK's awarding of medals criteria(especially the VC) unless you are in the know.

The Victoria Cross is awarded for

“ ... most conspicuous bravery, or some daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice, or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy.[1]

jumping on a grenade qualifies.

“ ... most conspicuous bravery, or some daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice, or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy.[1]

jumping on a grenade qualifies.

Except when there's no enemy actually shooting at you - he got the GC

He's picking up his latest gong today.....

Hero marine who threw himself on grenade to receive George Cross medal from Queen
A Royal Marine who threw himself on a hand grenade to save his comrades is to receive the George Cross medal at Buckingham Palace.

Chris Irvine, telegraph.co.uk, 30 Oct 08
Article ilnk

L/Cpl Matthew Croucher is only one of a select group of 20 living recipients of the medal, awarded for acts showing the same degree of heroism as the Victoria Cross.

He will receive his award from the Queen on Thursday morning ....

More on link

Good on L/Cpl Matthew Croucher and may I say he would make a good military poster boy.  ;)

Minor sidetrack here - how did this guy get -1800 MP when he only has 5 posts?

Other than that, nice to see heroism like Croucher's acknowledged...

Greymatters said:
Minor sidetrack here - how did this guy get -1800 MP when he only has 5 posts?

Click on his MP and it will show you the history.  He's been a b-a-a-a-a-d boy......

Ah, I see, I didnt know you got -500 for that... and that... and that...

Back