• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Canadian Air Force headed to mission in Africa ‘very soon’: top general

Jarnhamar said:
I'm kinda looking forward to getting told I'll be charged and sent home if I spray paint any vehicles (or wear unauthorized patches) if we deploy  ;D

You're making some RSMs head explode.....fortunately not mine.  [:D

Hamish Seggie said:
You're making some RSMs head explode.....fortunately not mine.  [:D

Do we have an authorized patch thread?  Since coming back as a civie, I am noticing a lot of bling on the sleeves of the new combat shirt.  Mostly in the field but I am starting to see pretty coloured formation patches in the hard stand. 

Lightguns said:
Do we have an authorized patch thread?  Since coming back as a civie, I am noticing a lot of bling on the sleeves of the new combat shirt.  Mostly in the field but I am starting to see pretty coloured formation patches in the hard stand.

All brigade commanders and up (along with their RSMs) are wearing formation patches to "promote" the upcoming decision for all troops to wear formation patches.  The idea is that it will help instill esprit de corps within the soldiers  ::)

dangerboy said:
All brigade commanders and up (along with their RSMs) are wearing formation patches to "promote" the upcoming decision for all troops to wear formation patches.  The idea is that it will help instill esprit de corps within the soldiers  ::)

Funny.  Us old Recce guys used to have quite a bit of esprit de corps by camming up and removing all patches and rank.  Times have changed.

Colin P said:
Now this is something we could do and help us increase our own capabilities http://aviationweek.com/defense/unmanned-peacekeepers-africa

UAV use in the Sahel would be an asset given the region is mostly flat, sparsely covered and with predictable, often clear and windy, weather conducive to flying operations.

Blue berets not carrying rifles, but flying unarmed UAVs and providing medical support would fit the current government's utopian ideals.

ballz said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-3771443/Central-Mali-town-falls-suspected-jihadists-officials.html

Yup, blue helmets seems real appropriate...

Looking at Googlemaps, one small town off the main highway, but quite a few towns in the area, would be a hard place to police without a lot of local support.

daftandbarmy said:
You mean, like the Taliban?

Blue helmets are never a correct response to an insurgency unless said insurgents have decided to lay down arms.  Blue helmets in an active insurgency are just another source of arms and fodder. 

Jarnhamar said:
We could hire the Taliban to provide security in Africa.

Brilliant.

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is pretty much how the Gurkhas got started on the Imperial payroll :)

Of course hiring the Nepalese pissed off the Hindu Regiments hired by the East Indian Company which helped to stir stuff up for the Mutiny. 

Rider Pride said:
UAV use in the Sahel would be an asset given the region is mostly flat, sparsely covered and with predictable, often clear and windy, weather conducive to flying operations.

Blue berets not carrying rifles, but flying unarmed UAVs and providing medical support would fit the current government's utopian ideals.

Yes, not to mention that REDFOR tends to operate near sources of fresh drinking water.  It's how the French are able to get away with a relatively small force for such a large plot of land.  All that is required is a few OPs watching the few rivers and oasis that exist, with a Fireforce waiting in helos back at base and catching the terrorists becomes far easier.  Just ISR soak the rivers and the rats will be found.

Rider Pride said:

I can't see me providing medical support in that craphole unarmed any more than I can see you doing that, celestial camouflage hat or not.

MM

medicineman said:
I can't see me providing medical support in that craphole unarmed any more than I can see you doing that, celestial camouflage hat or not.

MM

Do you need rifles in Nevada?  (Well, maaaaybe  ;D ).  And as for medical assistance - drop first aid kits from 20,000 feet.

Chris Pook said:
Do you need rifles in Nevada?  (Well, maaaaybe  ;D ).  And as for medical assistance - drop first aid kits from 20,000 feet.

You never know - aliens from Area 51, rattlesnakes, mobsters, drunken tourists...the medical supplies from 20K up sounds good to me ;D

MM

Tick, tick, tick?
Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan will travel to London, UK, from September 7 to 8, 2016, to participate in the UN Peacekeeping Defence Ministerial and to highlight Canada’s commitment to contributing to future UN peace support operations ...
So, rehash of this, or NEWS news?
:pop:

milnews.ca said:
Tick, tick, tick?
Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan will travel to London, UK, from September 7 to 8, 2016, to participate in the UN Peacekeeping Defence Ministerial and to highlight Canada’s commitment to contributing to future UN peace support operations ...
So, rehash of this, or NEWS news?
:pop:
Rehash it is, then -- the Minister's speaking notes from the U.K. this week -- tea leaf highlights mine:
Defence Secretary Fallon, Defence ministerial colleagues, Ladies and gentlemen.

Thank you for this opportunity to address everyone today.

Last month, in an effort to better understand the ground truth of Africa’s many conflicts, I undertook a five-country visit on the continent.

The trip reinforced what all of us here know to be true: Conflicts today are more complex than ever before.

The actors are not always well defined, their goals are not always clear and their methods are far from conventional.

In short, we must elevate the conversation on peacekeeping. This is not peacekeeping of the past. Where peace does exist, it can often be tenuous.

Conflict resolution requires a creative, comprehensive approach. One that engages broadly, one that enlists the support of all organizations whose collective work will make peace endure.

Political, security, development, and humanitarian responses are all needed to establish peace. These solutions must be brought together under the umbrella of “peace operations”.

Canada is committed to being part of those solutions. Last month, our Government pledged up to 600 Canadian Armed Forces personnel to be available for possible deployment on United Nations peace support operations. Canada has also renewed the International Police Peacekeeping Program and committed to deploying up to 150 police officers over the coming years.

The women and men of our military are well trained and prepared to offer a range of capabilities.

Canada’s contribution to peace operations will have the protection of civilians as its principal objective. We will work to defend and protect the most helpless civilians in war torn areas, especially women and children, who bear the brunt of human rights abuses in conflicts.

We are determined to prevent sexual violence and protect other human rights abuses. We know that integrating gender perspectives in our mission planning and operations is a key to our success in these areas.

But we also know that real peace – lasting peace – requires more than a reactive approach. We must identify the factors that make protracted conflict possible. And we must eliminate them before the kindling is sparked.

We know that child soldiers, for instance, represent a near endless supply of fighters for radical groups bent on exploiting them.

In some African nations, the population under 25 years is nearly 60%. Not only are these youth the most vulnerable victims of conflict, they are the very fuel that powers the militias who enslave them.

The future stability of Africa hinges, in large part, on preventing the recruitment of children into armed conflict, and also on providing this new generation with hope and economic opportunity.

Canada’s contribution will not be only military in nature. We bring a ‘whole of government’ effort to the table. I work closely with my colleagues the Minister of Foreign Affairs Stephane Dion and International Development Minister Bibeau.

Together we are committed to the broad range of activities involved in peace support operations, including conflict prevention and mitigation, dialogue, and the empowerment of women in decision-making for peace and security.

A couple weeks ago, the Government of Canada also announced that we would devote $450 million dollars to our new Peace and Stabilization Operations Program.

We’re going to use this funding in a variety of ways.

Canada will support and enable Canadian diplomacy; especially by addressing the root causes of conflict. We will facilitate dialogue and conflict resolution, so that communities can recover their livelihoods and a sense of normalcy. We also want to make sure that women can participate meaningfully in peacebuilding, because we believe that this -- and all of the other activities I listed -- will lay the groundwork for stability in the troubled regions where we’ll operate.

We must stretch beyond traditional military roles and work closely with local authorities, NGOs, diplomats, and a range of international and regional partners, too.

Police officers must also be integrated in peace support missions, as will other trained professionals focussed on the prevention of sexual violence and human rights abuses. Each brings a specific skillset to our comprehensive response.

There is work to be done on so many fronts. But Canada has a rich history of leadership in supporting peace and can be a leader again.

Next year marks Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation. Throughout the year and across the country, we are planning activities to showcase and honour our history and what it means to be Canadian. In a most appropriate convergence of events, 2017 also marks the 60th anniversary of Lester B. Pearson’s Nobel Peace prize, for his role in resolving the Suez Crisis.

Supporting and encouraging peace is certainly part of what it means to be Canada. For that reason, I am pleased to announce today that Canada will host this Defence Ministerial conference next year. We truly look forward to continuing this important work with you.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the United Nations has welcomed Canada’s contribution and renewed engagement in peace operations.

Canada has a rich history of supporting and building peace around the world. We have seen the tremendous contributions that Canada and our allies can make, and we stand ready to take up this role again.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Speaking Notes for the Honourable Harjit S. Sajjan, Minister of National Defence - Canada News...pdf
    52.8 KB · Views: 384
milnews.ca said:
We must identify the factors that make protracted conflict possible. And we must eliminate them before the kindling is sparked.
Would that be a Platoon or a Company task?    :pop:

One infantry platoon ... supported by a 550 people strong Corps level HQ, obviously.  :threat:

I find it interesting that, outside of Canada, at international conferences, Mr. Dion is identified as the Foreign Affairs minister - none of that "Global" crap.

I am looking at what the M.N.D. claims Canada wants to achieve in Africa, and all I can think of is "Good luck achieving that in our century!"

Back