• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Canadian Air Force headed to mission in Africa ‘very soon’: top general

MarkOttawa said:
And the UNEF peacekeeping force for Sinai in 1956 was not just a brilliant idea of Mike Pearson's--see second para here (with some personal background):

Mark Collins

And now the return "East of Suez".

https://imperialglobalexeter.com/2016/05/10/britains-return-east-of-suez-a-historical-perspective/

MarkOttawa said:
And the UNEF peacekeeping force for Sinai in 1956 was not just a brilliant idea of Mike Pearson's--see second para here (with some personal background):

Mark Collins

The other aspect of that operation that people forget is how it impressed and influenced the future PM Pearson on the importance of a distinct Canadian identity.

Most of the equipment for the Canadian UNEF force contingent was shipped onboard HMCS MAGNIFICENT, Canada's then aircraft carrier. But like all Canadian warship of the time, she flew the same White Ensign as the RN ships, and the Egyptian threatened to sink her if she entered their waters. A quick "re-branding" using a combination of the Canadian blue and red ensigns was required as last ditch measure. Later, as PM, Pearson remembered this important draw back in independent operations abroad and that is what caused him to seek the adoption of a completely distinct and "non-British" Canadian flag, Diefenbaker's tears notwithstanding.

You may recall that the first Canadian contingent to UNEF was supposed to be the Queens Own Rifles of Canada (QORofC) but Egyptian President Nasser objected, on the not unreasonable grounds that he would not be able to explain to his own people why a regiment that "belonged" to the same queen whose aemy had just invaded Egypt was now being sent to "keep the peace."

A very nimble Canadian Army general staff very quickly tasked the Armoured Corps, Signals, and the Ordnance, Service and RCEME corps to cobble together squadron/company sized units that were, of course, a real godsend to the force commander and that became the template for other UN missions, including the Congo, UNEF II and the Golan Heights.

There's a brilliant cartoon about it ...

E.R. Campbell said:
You may recall that the first Canadian contingent to UNEF was supposed to be the Queens Own Rifles of Canada (QORofC) but Egyptian President Nasser objected, on the not unreasonable grounds that he would not be able to explain to his own people why a regiment that "belonged" to the same queen whose aemy had just invaded Egypt was now being sent to "keep the peace."

A very nimble Canadian Army general staff very quickly tasked the Armoured Corps, Signals, and the Ordnance, Service and RCEME corps to cobble together squadron/company sized units that were, of course, a real godsend to the force commander and that became the template for other UN missions, including the Congo, UNEF II and the Golan Heights.

There's a brilliant cartoon about it ...

Ted

As I recall, the real downside was that one of the QOR battalions was posted to Egypt from Currie Barracks in Calgary. The system reacted and made them clear out on posting, including vacating their PMQs which then went to the next folks on the list. When the deployment was cancelled, they came back to Calgary and the members who had been in PMQs went to the bottom of the waiting list. (I was in high school at the time, but saw a newspaper story about it. The QOR officer who was BM of 4 CIBG confirmed the story to me ten years after the event.) It may be a military legend, but it sounds like something the army of the time would have pulled.

E.R. Campbell said:
. . .  the first Canadian contingent to UNEF was supposed to be the Queens Own Rifles of Canada (QORofC) . . .

While it doesn't get into a detailed explanation for the rejection of the QOR, this is an interesting clip about the preparations of the battalion and the "Maggie".

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/blue-berets-help-not-wanted

He's waiting for Telford and Butts to tell Trudeau what to decide. Dollars to donuts they even have the size nailed down, and the minister's report is "taken under advisement" and then promptly placed in the Somalia Photocopier™.

PuckChaser said:
He's waiting for Telford and Butts to tell Trudeau what to decide.

This stuff gets tiring.  Unless you were there, you have no idea, proof, or even suggesting evidence that this is the case.

jmt18325 said:
This stuff gets tiring.  Unless you were there, you have no idea, proof, or even suggesting evidence that this is the case.

Indeed.

PuckChaser, you forgot Dion.

Chris Pook said:
Journeyman will need an extra bucket of popcorn - and a couple of flats of beer for this one.
If that's what it takes....  :nod:      :cheers:

Good2Golf said:
Indeed.

PuckChaser, you forgot Dion.

Hmmm.....that's a little above his paygrade.....no?.....

jmt18325 said:

Lol... if you think you can convince the gentlemen on this site, with your words alone, that our current PM is nothing more than a puppet for the Laurentian elites, then as they say, "You done come to the wrong town, partner".

jmt18325 said:

It is rather naive to think that Telford and Butts are not 'right in there' advising Trudeau what to do. 

Lumber said:
Lol... if you think you can convince the gentlemen on this site, with your words alone, that our current PM is nothing more than a puppet for the Laurentian elites, then as they say, "You done come to the wrong town, partner".

Unless he was there, he has no idea, proof, or even suggesting evidence that this is not the case.

George Wallace said:
It is rather naive to think that Telford and Butts are not 'right in there' advising Trudeau what to do.

I'm sure they are advising him.  I doubt that they're puppet masters, as many here seem to constantly imply.

George Wallace said:

Yeah, does not make a tin foil hat to believe that the PM's BFF since uni and former WWF kingpin is not making some inroads into how Canada is run.  And those inroads likely are counter to how the country has been run successfully in the past.  As for ``Laurentian elites``, I am not sure what rock face they are standing on but they don`t shop where I do.  The reality is that there is a group of people who by hook, crook, or cash attempt to control a lot of stuff that can get you and me maimed, killed or taxed to death. 

Lightguns said:
Yeah, does not make a tin foil hat to believe that the PM's BFF since uni and former WWF kingpin is not making some inroads into how Canada is run.  And those inroads likely are counter to how the country has been run successfully in the past. 

Counter?  I've seen nothing that differs much from Chretien or even Harper when it comes to economic policy, or even foreign policy (somewhat different from Harper there, but not that much.

Sorry, I'm off topic.

jmt18325 said:
How magnificently ironic.

jmt18325 said:
Sorry, I'm off topic.

This is what happens when you lock the political thread...

Loachman said:
Unless he was there, he has no idea, proof, or even suggesting evidence that this is not the case.

touché...

In any case, I'm just excited to find out what the mission is so I can see if they need an OpsO or other staff job I can apply for.

Journeyman said:
How magnificently ironic.

That was actually, exactly the point.  I get stomped on for evidenced claims that experience tells some here to disagree with.  Politics is something I've studied for years - people providing un-evidenced claims are definitely something I was going to stomp on.

Back