• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Canadian Air Force headed to mission in Africa ‘very soon’: top general

Loachman said:
Unless he was there, he has no idea, proof, or even suggesting evidence that this is not the case.

I don't have to prove that something that you have no proof of doesn't exist.

Journeyman said:
:rofl:  That must have been autocorrect;  the term you were looking for is "repetitious."

Nope, according to the CFSME handout on the C7, repetitious is something you put your C7 on.

Lightguns said:
Nope, according to the CFSME handout on the C7, repetitious is something you put your C7 on.
Yes.  I'd deleted the comment because it's really not worth the effort.

jmt18325 said:
I don't have to prove that something that you have no proof of doesn't exist.

AH!  The Jean Chretien School of Philosophy: "A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

George Wallace said:
AH!  The Jean Chretien School of Philosophy: "A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

The live version is even better than words, GW.  :nod:

Jean Chretien - A proof is a proof.

George Wallace said:

It's well established that you don't have to prove a negative.

jmt18325 said:
It's well established that you don't have to prove a negative.

and this is what is coming out of the gene pool that elected this government.......lord love a duck!!  ::)

George Wallace said:
I believe that you have fallen afoul of a fallacy.

Me: Prove to me that there is a god.

Relgious people: Prove to me that there isn't a god.

Me: No.

GAP said:
and this is what is coming out of the gene pool that elected this government.......lord love a duck!!  ::)

Yes logic is a real killer in society.

hmm all seems vaguely familiar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNkjDuSVXiE

Meanwhile, it seems they are trying out balloons to see what the public might think about all this adventurism. Peacekeeping in Africa is really trying to square the circle. 

We can't know that until we see the details of what's going to happen.  It's likely they're feeling for responses of what people would accept.  We'll have to see what they come up with before we can properly judge.

Why? Politicians are always quite quick to judge and act before the facts are known.  [:)

The Liberals want/need a Peacekeeping adventure that fits the myth. Sanijin has the difficult job of attempting to make his parties desire into reality. Frankly I am glad they have the ex-military representation they do have in order to educate the rest of them on reality. Those people may be able to move this from a massive Cluster.... to just a bad idea.

Some politicians more than others.

As long as there is a need for help somewhere in Africa (or elsewhere), the necessary help can be delivered at reasonable cost and risk, the help provided is likely to improve the lot of the people in that somewhere, and this government genuinely wishes to do something constructive, I can support a deployment.

I do not, however, believe that to be the case.

It looks more like a vanity-fulfillment exercise to me than anything else.

If CF members are going to be maimed and killed, it had better be for the right reason.

I do not think that I have EVER had reservations about a potential mission before. I do not know if I have changed, post-Afghanistan, if I simply do not trust this government, or a bit of both, but I strongly suspect that my reservation is more Number 2 than 1 or 3.

So your reservations are mostly political.  That's the reality that you've presented.

jmt18325 said:
So your reservations are mostly political.

The reason for going to Africa is wholly political point-scoring. There's no "Responsibility to Protect" narrative, there's no push to go to Mali to stem the tide of Islamic extremism. We get a "fact-finding" tour, going to only 1 active UN mission and visiting a bunch of third-world countries who contribute vast amounts of warm bodies because the UN pays the country $1300 USD a month per soldier deployed.

My belief, based upon several decades of fairly close observation of Homo Liberalis, is that this government is more interested in doing what will look good to the facebookarazzi than in doing something that is actually good.

No mission calls, but they will find one anyway, dammit, no matter what it takes.

Colin P said:
I am glad they have the ex-military representation they do have in order to educate the rest of them on reality.
Dependent, of course, on the receiving callsigns' ability/willingness to be educated ...

jmt18325 said:
So your reservations are mostly political.  That's the reality that you've presented.

Not a wrong thing, particularly in light of what Clausewitz espoused...n'est-ce pas?

Just a refresher on African countries currently engaged in war, insurgency and civil strife:

Western Sahara
Mauritania
Morocco
Mali
Algeria
Tunisia
Libya
Niger
Chad
Nigeria
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Angola
Burundi
Mozambique
Uganda
Kenya
Somalia
Ethiopia
South Sudan
Sudan

And, of course Egypt which - by virtue of the Sinai brings us into Asia and

Israel
Palestine
Saudi Arabia
Yemen
Iraq
Iran
Pakistan
Afghanistan
India
Bangladesh
Myanmar
Thailand
Phillipines
West Papua

And then there is
Lebanon
Syria
Turkey
Azerbaijan
Armenia
The Caucasus
And of course

Ukraine.

All of those conflicts are contiguous

Now, where do you want to put your 1000 Canadians so that the Millenium will arrive, Jesus will come and peace will break out?

Attachments

• The Arc of Instability.jpg
    The Arc of Instability.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 114
Back