• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Artillery to take UAV to Afghanistan

big bad john

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/EquipmentAndLogistics/RoyalArtilleryToTakeUavToAfghanistan.htm

Royal Artillery to take UAV to Afghanistan
9 Jun 06
Soldiers from 32nd Regiment Royal Artillery are preparing to deploy to Afghanistan shortly with an unusual piece of equipment - an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).

2nd Lieutenant Olivia Rotheram, 24, from Langport in Somerset with the Desert Hawk UAV surveillance system. Olivia is a Troop Commander within 18 Battery.
[Picture: Sgt Gaz Tyson]
Around seventy men and women from 18 (Quebec 1759) Battery, 32nd Regiment Royal Artillery based at Roberts Barracks, Larkhill in Wiltshire, will deploy alongside soldiers from 16 Air Assault Brigade, taking with them the Desert Hawk Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV).

Desert Hawk is a portable UAV surveillance system which provides aerial video reconnaissance. It has a flight time of approximately one hour, and can fly anywhere within a 10km radius of its ground control station. It has both day and night time (thermal imaging) capability. The equipment can be used for a variety of tasks, such as force protection for convoys and patrols, route clearance, base security, reconnaissance or target tracking.

Soldiers from 32nd Regiment, which has served continually in Iraq since March 2003 using the Phoenix tactical UAV, have recently been trialling the new Desert Hawk system in California. Now they are ready to deploy and are well prepared. Captain Nick Newton said:

"18 Battery is deploying to Afghanistan in support of the Helmand Task Force. The Regiment has plenty of recent operational experience under its belt and is looking forward to contributing to the coalition efforts in Afghanistan."

Bombardier Richard Lewis (left) and Sergeant Simon Mulvany (right) operating the equipment that will enable them to remotely fly the Unmanned Aircraft.
[Picture: Sgt Gaz Tyson]
32nd Regiment Royal Artillery is the Army's only Unmanned aerial Vehicle (UAV) regiment. It deploys to Afghanistan as part of Operation Herrick. Operation Herrick is the creation of a 9,000-strong Multi-National Brigade (South), led by the Canadians, which will be centered on the southern Afghan province of Helmand. Other contributing nations include Estonia, Romania, and the United States, who will eventually withdraw to concentrate on other operations.

The UK mission in Afghanistan aims to support the democratically elected Afghan Government to improve the lives of ordinary Afghans. This is true for all aspects of the UK Government’s mission, be it military operations to defeat insurgency and criminality, or reconstruction projects, counter-narcotics support, governance programmes and training Afghan security forces.

The UK military contribution is one part of the UK Government’s support to the elected Afghan Government. The military mission aims to create the conditions whereby other work can happen, namely reconstruction work and increasing the reach and authority of the elected Government. The military mission is not an end in itself.

And you guys wonder why I roll my eyes at pure-light blue zoomies who spew out stuff like "if it flies, we should fly it".... ::)

I say make the thing out of low density C4 and call it "Battle Hawk"...  ;D

Cheers,
Duey

Duey said:
And you guys wonder why I roll my eyes at pure-light blue zoomies who spew out stuff like "if it flies, we should fly it".... ::)

I say make the thing out of low density C4 and call it "Battle Hawk"...  ;D

Cheers,
Duey

Like a Harpy UAV?
http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/aircraft/uav/harpy/HARPY.html
harpy_t.jpg

Back