• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Roy Green: An opportunity to honour reservists

CDN Aviator said:
Its more than what most people i know outside the CF have available to them.

There's fair compensation and recognition and then theres whining and unreasonable.

We are rapidly aproaching that fine line.......

It's the issue of having to leave a fulltime job to go over for me. I'm not screaming for this plan, but it sounds pretty sound to me.

CDN Aviator said:
No one is twisting your to deploy.

And no one's suggesting returning reservists be given a blank cheque upon return either.

CDN Aviator said:
Its more than what most people i know outside the CF have available to them.

There's fair compensation and recognition and then theres whining and unreasonable.

We are rapidly approaching that fine line.......

I absolutely agree. Being in a position to grant aboriginal funding to band members, it must be done in such a manner to provide the best return for the organization. A small percentage of members (in both organizations) apply for such funding. If all requests were entertained, a large sum of funds would be expended that may be detrimental to any organization to maintain said program. As long as the organization has some level of return, be it contractual or whatnot, then an abuse of said system is completely minimized. A little help is better than trying to win a competition on some anonymous bursary any day. I personally believe the system in place is more than satisfactory.

:2c:

RHFC_piper said:
Well... Something like what is being suggested is being offered to Reservists who have been injured overseas.  In the latest incarnation of the Education Reimbursement - Primary Reserve program (or a related program), PRes members taking part in an education upgrade for a back-to-work program due to injuries sustained in Operational Deployment are covered for 100% of the costs outlined in the program details (opposed to the 50% upto $2000)... or so I've been told by my CoC at JPSU / IPSC.

Unfortunately, from what I understand, this offer is pretty new and is not retroactive... so for troops who have started an education program under ER-Res F before these changes (like me), are stuck in the 50% upto $2000 deal.

Oh well... At least they're actually trying to change things.

Just a quick correction to my post; apparently, the 100% sponsorship is only available to regular force members who have been injured.... reservists, injured or otherwise, are only entitled to the 50% up to $2000 per year ($8000 lifetime max). 

I got my hopes up for nothing... again...  :(

RHFC_piper said:
Just a quick correction to my post; apparently, the 100% sponsorship is only available to regular force members who have been injured.... reservists, injured or otherwise, are only entitled to the 50% up to $2000 per year ($8000 lifetime max). 

I got my hopes up for nothing... again...  :(

Glad to hear that reservists are only ever half as injured as a regular force member. What a crock of sh**.

Teeps74 said:
Glad to hear that reservists are only ever half as injured as a regular force member. What a crock of sh**.

Well... to be fair, the education reimbursement (50% up to $2000 per year) is available to all reservists (pending completion of BMQ and good attendance), injured or not...  so, in reality, there is no program to assist injured reservists.

RHFC_piper said:
Well... to be fair, the education reimbursement (50% up to $2000 per year) is available to all reservists (pending completion of BMQ and good attendance), injured or not...  so, in reality, there is no program to assist injured reservists.

Yarp, this I knew. One would think that the bright lights in Ottawa would be able to surmise that reservists injured were injured as a direct result of Ottawa calling for reservists for deployment wherever. Ergo, there is a duty to provide for those injured soldiers, and that duty is no less then the one owed to injured regular force members.

From what I have seen, there are still many difficulties surrounding PRes member injured on deployment.  Though the situation is certainly better then 20 years ago, it is still a mess.

Brutus said:
It's the issue of having to leave a fulltime job to go over for me. I'm not screaming for this plan, but it sounds pretty sound to me.

Most provinces have legislated protection. I believe BC was the last one, and that was put through in 2008. Pro-active employers will have a policy in place that is in-line with the legislation: you will be returned to a similar position; if that is not available you will be put in an initial interim position and effort will be made to gradually return you to your original position. Or something along those lines.

My company's had a policy in effect since 2003, and as far as I know I'm the only one to take advantage of it for deployment. I work full time, and had no issues coming back.

Back