• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP going to IAP This summer

cda84

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys, so my CT went through and im good to go for ROTP Pilot, going to IAP this summer either June 27th? i believe or July 4th? i think it was. They didnt know which one for sure yet, but any other guys on here in the same deal? I believe the course to be 6 weeks too eh?

Chris

cda, where did you hear IAP was only 6 weeks? When I did it, it was 9 weeks. I believe you might be thinking of BOTP which is 5 weeks long plus the Week 0.

Hey, I heard it actually right off the website. Here is the quote.

All Officers of the Canadian Forces will take this training.

Phase I. Basic Officer Training: Upon selection into the Pilot occupation, you will be enrolled in the Canadian Forces as an Officer Cadet and will then proceed to the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, for a six week Initial Assessment Period (IAP) and then a seven week Basic Officer Training Course (BOTC). At Saint-Jean, you will be introduced to life in the Canadian Forces. You will learn military regulations and customs as well as leadership techniques and acquire the fundamental military skills of drill, dress, deportment, weapon handling and first aid. You will also participate in physical training and sports programs. The Basic Officer Training Course is given in either English or French (depending on your fluency) and successful completion is a prerequisite for further training. For those enrolled under the DEO entry plan, you will then be commissioned in the rank of Second Lieutenant.

My IAP was 9 weeks as well. It looks like they MIGHT have moved 2 weeks from BOTC and stuck them on IAP because my BOTC was also the 5 weeks (w/ week 0).

Hey cda84,
I've also applied for ROTP pilot, I'm going through the aircrew selection process the week after next, and if I pass that I'm booked for the medical in Toronto a week or two later (they broke it up because of easter).  How was the aircrew selection in Trenton? Lots of testing? What is there to do in Trenton during time off (haha, I hear it's a hole)? I should know if my application went through by the end of April so hopefully I'll be seeing you in St-Jean this summer.
                                                                                                                                  Later, Sheldon Roy

Kid_X said:
(haha, I hear it's a hole)?
                                                                                                                                   Later, Sheldon Roy

I'd get used to 'holes' if you want to fly in the forces!

LMAO, true, but I am currently living in Carlsbad Springs, 15 minutes out of Ottawa, it doesn't get worse than this.

The Aircrew selection isn't bad....kinda stressful at times, but CAPSS is incredibly fun.  Best advice is to listen to what the CO and Cpt's tell you to do because they have a lot of good advise.  If you going to do anything in Trenton outside of testing it will probably just be the Gym, theres not a whole lot else to do, well not when I was there, it was about -30 so I wasn't about to go sightseeing.

Awesome, it's been averaging between 10 and 20 degrees this past week so I'll probably bring a bathing suit, lmao.  Also, thanks for the advise, should I know the manual they gave me really well before doing CAPSS?

Yeah, know it inside and out as best you can.  CAPSS does a review for you when you sit in it, so as long as you have the basics.  The one thing they will tell you when you get there and is not in the manual is CAPSS is VERY sensitive.  One of the Cpt.'s will give ou an idea of how easy it is to over control CAPSS and he is not kidding.  Just have fun and try to stay relaxed

Just a quick note ref the BOTP course length. 

St. Jean seems to have dropped the week 0 from the course.  This includes those attending civi U on ROTP, UTPNCM and the like.  The BOTP serials starting 1 May that are mainly comprised of UTP's and ROTP's ends on 2 June. 

From what I understand week 0 was used as a refresher.  Getting back into doing SMESC format, re-learning how to build bipods/tripods, etc....  This is just what I've heard though and is not fact.

SweetNavyJustice said:
From what I understand week 0 was used as a refresher.  Getting back into doing SMESC format, re-learning how to build bipods/tripods, etc....  This is just what I've heard though and is not fact.

That was about it - review of the basic things learned on IAP such as knots, nav, stoves, tripods/bipods, rope bridges, mil writing, etc.

EDIT:

RMC people don't do the Week 0 (or at least they didn't last summer). Many actually wanted the Week 0 as they were generally as rusty on things as the Civi U people. Apparently CFLRS believed the RMC people would have kept up with this stuff, but that wasn't the case.

I will be doing basic this summer from May 29th to July 28th. I am going ROTP Pilot civie U.

- Zach

Piper said:
To add to what was said, I think 'week 0' has been dropped...seeing as I have been told to report to St Jean on May 1st.

That's when I reported for Week 0...

joshi said:
Hi, i do not know if this is true. I heard somebody commited suicide on Basic last sumer. Is this true?

What is the relevence of this question?  I recommend that people do not answer until we have a reason to do so.  Remember there are tons of people out there that would like to dig up *dirt* for no particular reason. 

For what it is worth, I am confident in saying that basic training does not make candidates suicidal.

Zach15 said:
  I will be doing basic this summer from May 29th to July 28th. I am going ROTP Pilot civie U.

- Zach

I will also be on course 29 May to 28 July.

Back