• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quag said:
Just my own observation but I think it is for the best that you ended up going to Civilian University.

You sound like you need maturing if you require the "babysitting" services of the CF.  Please don't take this the wrong way, but you need to age like a good cheddar before you will ever be competent in leading men.

Hahaha.

Civvie-u is better suited to the prospective officer who is more self-directed...RMC is better suited to those who require 'babysitting' (your words, not mine).

As for the 'aging like good chedder' comment, allow me to share a comment made by an officer faaaaaaaaaaar superior in rank and experience then any poster here. He described RMC as an establishment that took young officers in at 18...kicked them out at 22 with absolutally no advancement in social skils or maturity (he called it 'social retardation').

Some food for thought.

Piper said:
Hahaha.

Civvie-u is better suited to the prospective officer who is more self-directed...RMC is better suited to those who require 'babysitting' (your words, not mine).

As for the 'aging like good chedder' comment, allow me to share a comment made by an officer faaaaaaaaaaar superior in rank and experience then any poster here. He described RMC as an establishment that took young officers in at 18...kicked them out at 22 with absolutally no advancement in social skils or maturity (he called it 'social retardation').

Some food for thought.

That is my view also. Not trying to bash RMC in any way but what drove me to choose Civvie-U over RMC (Yes I was offered both at certain points) was the more independent living and learning how to take care of myself better on my own.. etc etc..

I am applying for ROTP for 2010-2011 school year.  I am also going to civi U as Nursing is not offered at RMC.  I have one year of college which was a certificate program for pre-health sciences.  I don't know if I am wrong but I was told that they would take my 90% average from my college certificate program as opposed to my 75% in highschool.  Can someone maybe answer this?

NO Hopeful said:
I am applying for ROTP for 2010-2011 school year.  I am also going to civi U as Nursing is not offered at RMC.  I have one year of college which was a certificate program for pre-health sciences.  I don't know if I am wrong but I was told that they would take my 90% average from my college certificate program as opposed to my 75% in highschool.  Can someone maybe answer this?

Have you tried asking the Recruiting Center?  I am sure they have the latest, greatest information on these Plans.

So, I was told today at my recruiting office that they take your most recent grades.  They still want the old transcripts as well but I should be in good condition as my grades went up significantly.

Spinaker said:
Sorry I should have been more clear there.  What I should have said is "If you were to take an additional course at civvie U it would incur an additional cost."

The fact that you are taking additional courses at civvie u and incure extra costs in one semester is not the case in this matter. Having gone through this process twice in the past I know. What happens is that if you want to take electives during school that do not aide to your completion of your degree there is no additional cost to the military, the CDA and thus the CDN tax payer. If you want to justify taking courses that do not feed directly into your degree program simply state that you are taking your core courses needed for your degree but are required to take a number of elective courses to complete the required credit hours in order to obtain your degree from your specific academic institution. If you clearly outline this to your SEM and back it up with proof from an academic counciller at your university there will be no questions asked.

On top of that may I suggest the fact that it is easier to do and ask forgiveness than it is to ask in the first place within the CDA system. The worst they are going to make you do is pay back the ~$500 cost of your one course.

And for future ref it is possible to pay for individual classes out of your own pocket in the ROTP program (fail a class and you will find that out very quickly from what I have been told).

You are required to take 5 courses per term tho...and not all degrees have that many
for example this is my first semester

ENGL 115 F09N22 UNIVERSITY WRITING AND RESEARCH
FRCH 100 F09N02 BEGINNING FRENCH I (FORMERLY FRCH 102)
HIST 111 F09N01 CANADIAN HISTORY BEFORE CONFED
POLI 151 F09N01 LAW AND POLITICS IN CANADA
PSYC 111 F09N12 CONTEMPORARY PSYCHOLOGY I

English, Politics, and Canadian history are the only required ones for a History BA for first semester of year 1
French I am taking so I can ace that Bilingual test(hopefully), and psychology I am taking because it was interesting in HS and was the only other useful course I could take first semester

albe8660 said:
The fact that you are taking additional courses at civvie u and incure extra costs in one semester is not the case in this matter. Having gone through this process twice in the past I know. What happens is that if you want to take electives during school that do not aide to your completion of your degree there is no additional cost to the military, the CDA and thus the CDN tax payer. If you want to justify taking courses that do not feed directly into your degree program simply state that you are taking your core courses needed for your degree but are required to take a number of elective courses to complete the required credit hours in order to obtain your degree from your specific academic institution. If you clearly outline this to your SEM and back it up with proof from an academic counciller at your university there will be no questions asked.

On top of that may I suggest the fact that it is easier to do and ask forgiveness than it is to ask in the first place within the CDA system. The worst they are going to make you do is pay back the ~$500 cost of your one course.

And for future ref it is possible to pay for individual classes out of your own pocket in the ROTP program (fail a class and you will find that out very quickly from what I have been told).

Huh?

Every semester I sent in my list of courses to my ULO and that was that. I didn't have to justify taking any courses that were not immediatly obvious as being part of my degree. As long as I graduated at the end of my four years with the degree I started with...I could taking basket weaving 101 if I wanted and no one would say boo.

Piper said:
Hahaha.

Some food for thought.

Piper,

There is nothing quite as telling as an non-attributed quote bolstered by a nonsense word like "faaaaaaaaaaar" from an opinionated poster with an incomplete army.ca profile - to provide "some food for thought."

Give us some profile (after many months on the site) to assist in understanding the wealth of experience from which you speak.

Perhaps your non-attributed source would be referring to USMA or West Point as in this blog site:  http://abumuqawama.blogspot.com/2009/04/shocking-news-usma-graduates-socially.html 

"I guess when you take four years (~18 to ~21 years) in which their peers are experimenting and expanding horizons and experiencing freedom and instead put kids in wool uniforms with regimented schedules, it has an effect on where they end up in comparison with their peers."    ;D

CEEBEE501 said:
You are required to take 5 courses per term tho...and not all degrees have that many...

Is there the option of taking an OPME as a DL option to count as one of your 5 courses per term?

Most OPMEs are covered in the RMC curriculum which means less to worry about on that front after grad.  How does civi U compare in that regard?  I doubt the same courses are available.

Little over a week until the Civvie U Orientation in St. Jean,. . should be interesting to say the least haha. Who else is going? :)

CEEBEE501 said:
Kinda off topic but.
Any one here from Vancouver Island?
ya man kinda late but i live on the island in victoria

So question to everyone.......has anyone recieved an offer this late?

Do you CiviU St Jean kids have to spend a week at your ASU? I report into my ASU on Tuesday and head to RMC for the 12th.

Heff18 said:
Do you CiviU St Jean kids have to spend a week at your ASU? I report into my ASU on Tuesday and head to RMC for the 12th.

As far as i was told its if you come from far outside the city with your support base then you have to spend the week there.

Dilanger you didnt happen to be at the enrollment on the 16 did you?

CEEBEE501 said:
Dilanger you didnt happen to be at the enrollment on the 16 did you?

No......yesterday actually I Just got my call of acceptence to the RMC Rotp.....Pilot...Air ops Yesterday......I'm so happy ever since april i've been under the impression that i was not selected.....but There is a bit of confusion...I'm selected for ROTP senior but it says my first year is at RMC st. jean.....which is confusing them becuase we are under the impression that it isonly from the Jr. guys who do the prep year... So im supposed to go down to the CFRC Victoria on tuesday since monday is B.C day.....to get all my info.... Has anyone else gotten accepted this late..... when i went down today they said there were a few people who got this rlly late call...

CEEBEE501 said:
ME ME!  ;D

Very cool CEEBEE! I am OCdt Marshall , but who knows how many Marshall's there may be haha. Should be an interesting time though.

RMC Kingston On Tuesday!

How exciting was every ones in-clearance last week!:p
Also did you guys from the rest of Canada get to stay at the Officers Mess If you had to stay at the base?

CEEBEE501 said:
RMC Kingston On Tuesday!

How exciting was every ones in-clearance last week!:p
Also did you guys from the rest of Canada get to stay at the Officers Mess If you had to stay at the base?

In-clearance at CFB Halifax, was, interesting. Nothing "exciting" though. haha.

I'm going to be applying for both Civi U and RMC ROTP going back to pick up Calculous and redo english because of a bad time in my life that I went through. Looking to apply for BA probably Infantry w/ 80%-85% average some sports a seasonal summer job I've held for over 5 years and 200 volunteer hours. I just hope I'm competitive enough.

This summer I've dropped 20 pounds while building muscle and dropped 5 minutes off my 5k now running it in about 25. Would like to get it sub 20 in the next half year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back