• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an email recently for all Vancouver Civvie U students to attend an SEM briefing and ARV's at the end of the month, and that it is considered as a parade and attendance is mandatory. Does anyone know what this is? The extent of the email is that it is to conduct annual readiness of verification of our personal forms, but is there something more to it? Thank you.

clownfool said:
I just got an email recently for all Vancouver Civvie U students to attend an SEM briefing and ARV's at the end of the month, and that it is considered as a parade and attendance is mandatory. Does anyone know what this is? The extent of the email is that it is to conduct annual readiness of verification of our personal forms, but is there something more to it? Thank you.

It is exactly what the email said it will be, pretty standard stuff.

clownfool said:

The ARV is the Annual Readiness Verification - where they check their records against your records to see where you stand with respect to training, qualifications, vaccinations, etc.  It is a standard practice that we all have to go through.  It's about ensuring that as many people as possible are ready to deploy if necessary.

clownfool said:

As mentioned above, this is an "annual" briefing provided to all SEM Students.  They will be going over the current SEM Guide, your academic reimbursement entitlements, admin requirements/processes, CoC and your basic responsibilities/requirements on your part as a member of the BTL/ULO.  They have now also included the ARV (Annual Readiness Verification) process as a component of these briefings, so you will also be subject to this (ie; reviewing forms such as the ECN, NOK, Wills, SISIP Coverage, Medical Status, Fitness Status, etc, etc).

Read through your SEM Guide that should have been provided to you and if you have any questions, now would be the time to ask them.

Greetings,

I tried to do a search and it was difficult to pin down any responses that cover this topic.  Created a new one to start the conversation.

What types of opportunities are there for a young adult to get leadership exposure.

Some examples I can think of:

Scouting/Guides Canada has youth leadership that really requires a one day a week commitment after a bit of training. (plus camps etc)
Coaching/assistant coach of a youth sports team.
Cadets would be very good but if you have not come up in the program not sure it would work out.
Reserves again would be more long term as you would need to rise up the ranks.
Volunteer work where you can take supervisory roles or lead by example in the community

One of the questions I have also is what type of education is available out there. Is there Leadership 101 you can do by distance learning.
Any good self study programs or books one could Study.

Any examples would be greatly appreciated as I am sure there a lots of opportunities I have just never been exposed too.

I must stress though that it has to be something you really want to do. Do not just do it to have a check mark in the box as that is not the intent.

Cheers.

I got enrolled into rotp civ uni as an officer cadet; received the offer just a few days before first day of school. No basic training yet. No uniform. No military ID. My ULO claims that this is a very rare case and he's not heard of it before. Nobody has a clue when I go to Basic and if I do the whole 15 weeks. Has anyone else started school before Basic? Please share your experience.

Cheers

I am in the same boat as you.

I was enrolled about two weeks before school started as an ROTP officer cadet. In all of British Columbia, there were only two of us that actually got this offer at such a weird time, so yes, very rare. I heard that this a new thing that just started this year. I wasn't even assigned a MOSID.

Everything is coming together though. I'm getting my military ID in a few weeks time, but I don't have a uniform and I have no idea when I'm going to CFLRS either.

Some schools have a leadership club.  Otherwise, just get out and volunteer - show initiative, be leader on a sports team, a club, student government. Check out Rotary - some communities have a Junior branch. Other community service organizations may have the same.

Find something in the school or community that needs doing, convince a group of your friends to do something about it, come up with a plan, and do it. 

Check out the Duke of Edinburgh award criteria, work towards achieving it.

Some thoughts to start the process.  There are a multitude of opportunities out and about.  Part of leadership is identifying issues, and doing something about them.

BCOG

rayyy said:
I got enrolled into rotp civ uni as an officer cadet; received the offer just a few days before first day of school. No basic training yet. No uniform. No military ID. My ULO claims that this is a very rare case and he's not heard of it before. Nobody has a clue when I go to Basic and if I do the whole 15 weeks. Has anyone else started school before Basic? Please share your experience.

Cheers

I'm the second ROTP OCdt mentioned above. Enrolled a couple weeks before class, and like you don't really have anything to identify myself as being a member of the Forces yet. Don't sweat it though, as long as you have all your documentation squared away and your ULO isn't panicked, everything should come together relatively quickly. Being in the third year of my schooling, I think they are going to have me complete Mod 1 and 2 of BMOQ together, but if you're first or second year they might elect to split it up for you. From what I've experienced thus far, just stay on top of your classwork and keep checking your emails for updates from your ULO. As far as uniform goes, there isn't really anything we will need it for until we get to CFLRS, for your SEM ARV you just wear business casual. You're not alone, there are a few of us late top-up selections kicking around at civi u!!

Hi, I recently enrolled in one of the officer training programs and have been extremely frustrated by my ULO and their lack of competence. This might be a bit harsh, but do not seem to be very informed about my training program and have repeatedly failed to respond to my emails and phone calls. In fact, even after countless attempt to confirm my initial clear in appointment, I was left without a response and didn't know what time or where to report on my first day. I am currently waiting on a time-sensitive inquiry and yet again, my emails and phone calls seem to be utterly useless.

I am concerned because I know that my ULO will be my point of contact for a number of time-sensitive issues in the near future and I feel that I cannot rely on them. What can I do in my situation? Can I request a different ULO? Do I really just have to suck it up and keep pestering this person to do their job?

For reference, perhaps ULO will be merged with,

All Things Civilian U (merged)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/45419.0/nowap.html
12 pages.

I feel your pain. I've been trying to get the ULO to answer a question regarding PLD for a member attached to my unit, and they will simply not respond.

Their chain of command structure makes no sense either. The whole ULO seems to be an orderly room that answers to a Sgt, and that's it. Technically, there is a Capt who is in their chain of command, but he doesn't actually seem to be involved in any way with the ULO itself.

The ULO structure is one of my pet peeves.

In a previous job, CMP expected me and my staff to look after 54 university students spread over a province with no extra financial or personnel resources allocated, on top of our day jobs.

Some of the files were exceedingly complex and like any other demographic, some of the students developed quite "interesting" problems that took hours, days or weeks of staff time to unravel.

So to the OP, your ULO is probably a one man/woman band attempting to juggles dozens of files, on top of other duties. It sucks, but there it is.

Thanks for the responses. It looks like there isn't much I can do.

SeaKingTacco said:
In a previous job, CMP expected me and my staff to look after 54 university students spread over a province with no extra financial or personnel resources allocated, on top of our day jobs.

I appreciate that it's a hectic job. It's too bad that ULOs can't be designated to liaise with students from a specific geographical area or program of training.

paranoidandroid said:
I appreciate that it's a hectic job. It's too bad that ULOs can't be designated to liaise with students from a specific geographical area or program of training.

For the most part, the assignment or designation of a ULO is based on numbers and generally is considered to be a "secondary duty" at most locations.  Nevertheless, you should be afforded the same treatment as any member of the CAF and administered accordingly.

I'd suggest you check your SEM Guide (Subsidized Education Management) and address your issues to your Regional SEM Manager.  If your local supporting office is not helping, they will surely become involved.

ULO Duties are not that demanding and work is sporadic at best, with Sep-Nov being the busiest and it's mostly claims.

DAA said:
For the most part, the assignment or designation of a ULO is based on numbers and generally is considered to be a "secondary duty" at most locations.  Nevertheless, you should be afforded the same treatment as any member of the CAF and administered accordingly.

I'd suggest you check your SEM Guide (Subsidized Education Management) and address your issues to your Regional SEM Manager.  If your local supporting office is not helping, they will surely become involved.

ULO Duties are not that demanding and work is sporadic at best, with Sep-Nov being the busiest and it's mostly claims.

Disagree strongly with your final sentence, at least in my experience. Perhaps I was unlucky, but I had to deal with a number of tricky and time consuming ULO files. The Regional SEM manager (when he could found) was usually unhelpful.

mcglone63 said:
I'm the second ROTP OCdt mentioned above. Enrolled a couple weeks before class, and like you don't really have anything to identify myself as being a member of the Forces yet. Don't sweat it though, as long as you have all your documentation squared away and your ULO isn't panicked, everything should come together relatively quickly. Being in the third year of my schooling, I think they are going to have me complete Mod 1 and 2 of BMOQ together, but if you're first or second year they might elect to split it up for you. From what I've experienced thus far, just stay on top of your classwork and keep checking your emails for updates from your ULO. As far as uniform goes, there isn't really anything we will need it for until we get to CFLRS, for your SEM ARV you just wear business casual. You're not alone, there are a few of us late top-up selections kicking around at civi u!!

There was only myself with this case from Winnipeg, but glad to know that there are (at least) three of us with the same case here (I am now in BC). Who knows, maybe we'll see each other in Basic. Good luck to you all! :salute:

Hey, I'm a third-year ROTP "top-up" from Winnipeg too! We should meet up or something, haha.

That would be cool! [:) Just out of curiousity, when and how was Basic like for you? Were you in for the whole 15 weeks, or split like normal?

rayyy said:
That would be cool! [:) Just out of curiousity, when and how was Basic like for you? Were you in for the whole 15 weeks, or split like normal?

The norm is BMOQ is not split over two summers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back