• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
mathabos said:
Yes, they called me mid october to let me know I was officially on the list. That was about 3 weeks after I completed my interview.

I see.. thanks for the info!

Hi all!
Just in case this info is useful to anybody...I was originally told by my recruiter that I would most likely not go away to training next summer, given that I were to be selected for ROTP, because I would not have a full acceptance to university by the time the March selections were made. I was told that since I would only have a conditional offer of acceptance to university at that time, I wouldn`t be eligible for enrollment or training in 2010. However, I received a call from this same recruiter today, who informed me that in fact, I am eligible for ROTP selection in March with a conditional offer of acceptance to university. I am currently completing a Pre-health sciences program at college, therefore I would be about halfway through the program in March and thus would not have an unconditional offer to university till April 2010: I have to keep my marks high. Thanks to this info, I have hope that I may go away this year, pending that I am selected for ROTP in the first place :) It`s been a big day for me

Hello. I am a reserve Med Tech and applied for ROTP nursing 2010-2011 (currently a 1st year student in Nursing) in the Reg Force (civi U). Just curious, who else on this forum is applying ROTP Nursing Officer?

I am currently a 1st year nursing student and I have also applied to ROTP for 2010 intake.  What school are you at?

Well I am brand new to this forum and used the search bar, couldn't find any related topics, and am not quite sure this is in the proper category, so sorry in advance if I misplaced this topic. Anyways here we go :christmas happy:

I was wondering if going to a Civilian University with ROTP is a better option as opposed to RMC simply for the experience. To my understanding, RMC Ocdts and Ocdts in civi U receive the exact same summer training courses, such as CAP 1, CAP 2 etc, so is there more to gain from enjoying life at a civilian university while also training hard in the summer as opposed to going through a rough schedule at RMC and not having as much freedom?

I'm at RMC however my gf is at civi U

1) You do same trainning over the summber however it's different.. for civi u bmoq is 15 weeks and if your from RMC it's 11 or maybe even less.
2) RMC you have military trainning every week, not only that but alot of your university courses are geared towords military application even english class..
3) It's not a strech to say that RMC grades rank up faster
4) you Have so much fun at rmc, I'm home for xmas right now and I already miss it.
5) personally i didn't join the military to only train during a few months in the summer, rmc builds leadership
6) If a normal life is what you want choose civi u, but If you want to gain the most military expeirence then choose RMC

I am guessing that spelling, proper writing skills and grammar are not part of the overall curriculum ;)

There are a few hotly debated threads on the subject already, I think if you read through the RMC thread that is stickied, there is quite an discussion on the matter.

While I am sure Dilanger is quite pleased with his choice, the truth is that going either route conveys no special privileges nor any hindrance to one's career or learning of military subjects.  You have to do your research and choose what is best for you.

Ok, I will check out the stickies, sorry about that. Thank you both for your input as well. So to clarify things, if I choose to go to a civilian university with ROTP I will still have a comparable knowledge of military subjects+training in comparison with RMC cadets?

It's been awhile and perhaps things have changed, but I don't recall being given a choice.  I applied for ROTP and was asked for my preferences.  However, in the end, I was then told which institution I would be attending.  It is also worth noting that sometimes people who start BMQ thinking they will be going to civvy U upon completion, end up being told before the end of the course that things have changed...

NB:  Even if you really want to go to RMC, you still need to apply to a few civilian schools in case you are accepted to ROTP, but not to RMC.

Dilanger said:
I'm at RMC however my gf is at civi U

1) You do same trainning over the summber however it's different.. for civi u bmoq is 15 weeks and if your from RMC it's 11 or maybe even less.
2) RMC you have military trainning every week, not only that but alot of your university courses are geared towords military application even english class..
3) It's not a strech to say that RMC grades rank up faster
4) you Have so much fun at rmc, I'm home for xmas right now and I already miss it.
5) personally i didn't join the military to only train during a few months in the summer, rmc builds leadership
6) If a normal life is what you want choose civi u, but If you want to gain the most military expeirence then choose RMC

7) At CivU you have to be a big boy/big girl and take care of yourself. ie. Meals, housing, etc. ;)

8) Only RMC students actually believe #3. For them it justifies the completly lack of attractive women at RMC.

9) RMC doesn't build leadshership; it aids in the building of leadership. Leadership abilitlity lies with the member. There are plenty of RMC grads (and CivUs) who couldn't lead a dog on a leash.

In my case I wanted RMC, but got sent to CivU(and later realized it was probably because they evaluated my profile with my old transcript). That being said, I’m having an awesome time a uOttawa… being a bit older than most of the ROTPs the independence factor is a huge plus. There’s pros and cons to them both… most of them are quite obvious, and in the end you may or may not have the choice of where you get to go. Good Luck.

GoCanada said:
if I choose to go to a civilian university with ROTP I will still have a comparable knowledge of military subjects+training in comparison with RMC cadets?

At the end of the day you CAN have the same military knowledge by the time you are done university.
The difference is that if you go to a civilian university it is up to you to acquire that knowledge through distance education (google OPME), volunteering with a unit, etc if you want. You don't have to do so and there will not be anyone forcing you to do so.

It is all up to you if you can take care of yourself and motivate yourself to stay in shape, improve your knowledge and do so on your own I would suggest going to a civilian university and enjoying your time.

Otherwise maybe RMC would be a better choice exceptionally if you are lacking motivation and would prefer to go to a school with a smaller population (and with no girls  ;D).

4 years ago I decided to go the civi way and it was the best decision of my life of course this is my opinion and no matter what you chose you will enjoy your time.

Hmm thanks alot for your answers guys, I have applied to 3 civilian universities as well as RMC, so guess i'll just have to wait for them to answer to make my choice! :D

I have been trying to understand how civ rotp works but i dont think i quiet understand to my own satisfaction. I want to apply for Civ Rotp im in grade 12.  Can someone understand how it will happen from start to end.

Instead, why don't you read on the subject, come up with questions on what you don't understand?

im sorry i worded that wrong, it came out wrong.
My question was how are u selected for Civ rotp im in grade 12 and i wanna apply to civ rotp how am i selected? do i have to have a acceptance from a university cause thats what i think and knw so far. correct me if i am wrong

haidermaan said:
im sorry i worded that wrong, it came out wrong.
My question was how are u selected for Civ rotp im in grade 12 and i wanna apply to civ rotp how am i selected? do i have to have a acceptance from a university cause thats what i think and knw so far. correct me if i am wrong

I might suggest that if you want to get into any institution of higher learning, including ROTP, you might want to improve your grammar, spelling, and sentence structure.  You want to at the very least appear to be educated if you want to apply.

If you are offended by the last two sentences, please read the Site Guidelines as to what we expect of the members on this site.

I'm sure your local Canadian Forces Recruiting Center (CFRC) can answer your questions as they've heard them all before. Heck you can even call them. How convenient is that!?

Fill out the forms from the CFRC (which is the CF form and the RMC questionnaire), apply for the universities you want to go for, and then on the questionnaire, you want to make sure you have your civilian university as your first choice. Then, at the very end of the application, they're going to make you write an essay for the reasons as to why you would like to attend your first choice. They'll read it and be like, oh so this guy wants to go for Civi-U under the ROTP. After that, you just wait and hope you get in.... having done the medical, interview and the CFAT successfully of course.

Filling out the forms from the CFRC isn't enough because you also have to apply for the civilian universities you would like to go to. You need the acceptance from the civilian universities in order for the ROTP plan to work. Once the ROTP accepts you, they'll pay for the university you get accepted into.

PM me if you have any questions.

Happy New Year!

montana said:
At the end of the day you CAN have the same military knowledge by the time you are done university.
The difference is that if you go to a civilian university it is up to you to acquire that knowledge through distance education (google OPME), volunteering with a unit, etc if you want. You don't have to do so and there will not be anyone forcing you to do so.

Honestly Really good idea!
I knew some of the CPl's at a local unit(C Scot R) and asked them, and they told me to come in and talk to the CO('s), and I have learned so much already to prepare me for BMOQ as the large majority of people left right now, because of Afghanistan and Op. Podium, are untrained Pte.'s they have me take part in the lessons(Nav, C7, patrol,first aid) & of course PT! :D. When not doing that, I help the Officers and senior NCO's with a large verity of tasks.
Over all an Excellent experience, would recommend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back