• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RMC personal belongings question

Marshall

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I was just reading about some of the restrictions and regulations for a Officer Cadet at RMC. (Also talking to a friend who is a 1st year there)

I noticed it mentioned something about not being able to use your vehicle except on the weekends. Is this true or is it referring to FYOP?
Is it even worth having a vehicle in Kingston? How far away are major outlets? I know there is a small town of some sort with a convenience store and barber, but thats about it?

Also, I know you are allowed to bring a personal computer for your room. I am wondering what the view and rules are on things such as gaming consoles, while I fully realize I'd be limited in usage time I was just wondering if they are worth keeping and bringing to RMC or to just sell. (Already getting rid of my 42" TV, that won't fit ;) )

Also, in that sense is a small television allowed in the rooms? Or do they rather you just use the ones in the lobby or what-not.

Note that I know your limited and might not even have space for personal belongings during FYOP. (wish I hope to work around since I live in N.S.)

Thanks for the information if any, just trying to plan out the rest of this year in spending habits (car, hobbies, etc) So I do not have a mess before I leave (If I even get accepted, ha)

-Marshall

I'll give you answers for the time I was there (2002-2006)

Marshall said:
I noticed it mentioned something about not being able to use your vehicle except on the weekends. Is this true or is it referring to FYOP?
Is it even worth having a vehicle in Kingston? How far away are major outlets? I know there is a small town of some sort with a convenience store and barber, but thats about it?

You can forget about your vehicle during FYOP.  In 1st year, we weren't allowed to leave the campus on week days and we could only go out 6 days a month on week ends.  There is a decent sized mall about 15 minutes from the campus (car) and Princess Street (shopping strip and bar scene) is at walking distance (15-20 minutes).

Marshall said:
Also, I know you are allowed to bring a personal computer for your room. I am wondering what the view and rules are on things such as gaming consoles, while I fully realize I'd be limited in usage time I was just wondering if they are worth keeping and bringing to RMC or to just sell. (Already getting rid of my 42" TV, that won't fit ;) )

You won't be allowed a computer in your room on FYOP.  You will be after.  TVs, you can forget about it for the first 2 years, as well as gaming consoles.  3rd and 4th year, possibly.  Depends on the squadron you're in.

Marshall said:
Also, in that sense is a small television allowed in the rooms? Or do they rather you just use the ones in the lobby or what-not.

There are TVs in the Squadron Lounges (big screen).  Read above for the TVs in the rooms.

Marshall said:
Note that I know your limited and might not even have space for personal belongings during FYOP. (wish I hope to work around since I live in N.S.)

AFAICR, you can't have any personnal belongings in your room during FYOP (aside from scool stuff).  All your civies must be put away in your kit bags and stored under your bed.

Marshall said:
Thanks for the information if any, just trying to plan out the rest of this year in spending habits (car, hobbies, etc) So I do not have a mess before I leave (If I even get accepted, ha)

I'd bring minimal stuff during FYOP.  Afterwards, bring/buy stuff you need and want little bit by little bit.

The rules may have changed in the last 2.5 years.

Max

I can't talk to the standards of what personal belongings you are allowed as I'm sure it's changed quite a bit since I was there, but wrt the town of Kingston, it is by no means small.  The downtown core has more than enough to keep you going and is just a short walk from the campus.  If you are looking to hit up any of the malls or big box stores you can always take the bus.  A cab ride one way will cost about $15.  This will get you to the west end.

Downtown has a bunch of little shops (clothing, electronics, sports, etc) and loads of restaurants and coffee shops and a couple of movie theatres.

The west end has both a large indoor mall and outdoor shopping area.  The outdoor mall has a great movie theatre and some good shopping.  Everything from Future Shop and Best Buy to Old Navy and other clothing stores.

As for a gaming console, you probably won't have much time in your first year for gaming, other than whatever games you have on you computer.  Your day is very regulated and the first year tends to be the hardest wrt schooling so any distractions from studying are not the best thing.

Great help thank you.

I was doubtful with the electronics anyways. I know FYOP is very restricted so I was under the impression you can not use any of it anyways.

As for the vehicle, maybe I will just wait to get one AFTER the RMC period then :) A 20 minute walk is nothing when I'd be paying for a heap of metal collecting dust if I should have a car.

Thanks, Id say that I got my answers and this can be closed unless anyone else has further information.

Thanks again.

Here's how it is from someone who is there right now.

Marshall said:

Many students have a car here, and those who don't wish they did (it's usually a matter that they can't afford it). The only good shopping areas are the Cataraqui Mall and the RioCan power-center. These two are right next to each other and are a good 15-20 minutes DRIVE. Princess street is alright, but it can be very expensive (restaurants are really nice though).

I would definitely recommend driving your car here, or if you don't have one yet, get one if you can afford it. I didn't have a car for first year and bought one for second year and it has been a very worthwhile investment.

As for when you can use your car and when you can go into town here how it is right now, and I can't see it changing much in the next year or two, IMO. FYOP: you have zero time on FYOP but this is only the first month so we will ignore this. The rest of the year in FIRST year, you can leave campus, with you car if you wish, anytime before 1630 and any weekend, every weekend, so long as it is not a duty weekend. The only limit is on weekday evening. First years are (for the first time this year) only allowed to leave the campus after 1630 on a weekday a maximum of 8 times per month. As I said there is no limit on weekends or on leaving campus before 1630.

After first year you can leave the campus whenever you like, as much as you like, so long as you are back for your next timing (Class, form-up, etc.).

Marshall said:

BRING IT! Even my engineering friends who are swamped with homework and midterms are still playing Xbox when they have time. In first year you

Marshall said:

Me and my friends share a 40" LCD that fits perfectly in our rooms. We've had it since second year, you wouldn't be allowed it in first year, although if you wanted to, you could keep it put away in storage during the week and bring it out on weekends.

Otherwise, each (most) squadrons have a lounge that has a 50" plasma TV that you can hook up your Xbox, PS3 or whatnot.

Marshall said:

I'm not sure what you refer to as "personal belongings", but anything you might want to have access to bring it. If they don't let you keep it in your room, all they are going to do is ask you to put it in the storage room. If you need it you can go get it and put it back alter, or if it is the weekend, you can go get it and leave it in your room all weekend. (this goes for TVs on weekends too!)

If you want more detail on just what your day to day life is like AFTER FYOP, just ask.

Cheers.

More good info. Thanks :)

Well, maybe I will give first year a shot without my other stuff like a car etc. And after first year when I know of ALL the rules I would need to know then maybe I'll consider it. And 8 times a month leave after 16:30, hmm. Another thing to take into consideration if I NEED a car or not.

Marshall said:
More good info. Thanks :)

Well, maybe I will give first year a shot without my other stuff like a car etc. And after first year when I know of ALL the rules I would need to know then maybe I'll consider it. And 8 times a month leave after 16:30, hmm. Another thing to take into consideration if I NEED a car or not.

Thats the best solution. Keep it to the minimum, especially during FYOP. Otherwise you just have extra stuff to worry about. Once FYOP is finished, and the standards relax a little then you can find out from your staff what you will and won't be allowed. Every Sqn is different, and new rules come out every week it seems.

FYI only two first years in my flight have cars. Also the 8 times a month also applies on weekends, or at least it does to my Squadron.

During FYOP, our flight was only allowed our internet cables 2 hours a week, and cell phone access for 15 minutes/day. So forget about doing anything major with a computer during FYOP. After, you can play games, what not, but judging by those in my flight who are failing some of their courses, they seem to be the ones that spend a lot of time screwing around with video games or Facebook. Keep in mind your time is very limited, as you have a heavy courseload, plus mandatory sports, duties, etc. You do have some free time, but you really have to make sure you don't fritter a whole day away playing video games. Just bring some bare essentials, anything else you can pick up in Kingston, or get shipped from home later.

RMC_Cadet said:
Also the 8 times a month also applies on weekends, or at least it does to my Squadron.

It must depend on the squadron, because in my sqn they have unlimited come and go privileges on weekends, starting at 1630 Friday afternoon.

I think RMC Cadet was referring to rules for first year cadets (8 times a month), not to general cadet rules. Loads of "special" rules for first years. Oh well, life could be much worse, we all could be at McDonalds earning a garbage wage going, "Would you like fries with that?". No thanks.

On the note of belongings and such, I was wondering about laptop policies at RMC, since to only other thread about laptops turned in to a discussion about how many locks you will need.
But are laptops allowed in class for notes or is that up to the instructor, and if I under stood it correctly if you have a laptop it must be kept out of sight in a separate locker in the room? And I would assume that a smiler policy applies to personal media devices (i.e ipod)?
Am I understanding this correctly?

CEEBEE501:  Laptops in classes are up to the prof.  I've never seen a prof allowing it in my classes.  All hand written notes.  As for laptops in the rooms, it's allowed after FYOP.  Depending on your military staff, they may or may not want you to hide it during hte day.  If I was you, I would lock it somewhere.  Even though I trusted my roommates (some more than others), your room is still shared and you're not the only one in control of who comes in and out.

CEEBEE501 said:
On the note of belongings and such, I was wondering about laptop policies at RMC, since to only other thread about laptops turned in to a discussion about how many locks you will need.
But are laptops allowed in class for notes or is that up to the instructor, and if I under stood it correctly if you have a laptop it must be kept out of sight in a separate locker in the room? And I would assume that a smiler policy applies to personal media devices (i.e ipod)?

For recruit term and FYOP mp3 players were not allowed, and laptops were to be used for school purposes only during FYOP. During recruit term computers were a no-go.

As to laptops in classes, I use mine for as many of my classes as I can. That is to say, all except for my math courses. However it is up to your Prof as to whether they are allowed of not.

breezie said:
I think RMC Cadet was referring to rules for first year cadets (8 times a month), not to general cadet rules. Loads of "special" rules for first years. Oh well, life could be much worse, we all could be at McDonalds earning a garbage wage going, "Would you like fries with that?". No thanks.

I was referring to first year cadets as well. Our are allowed off as much as they want on weekends, but only 8 times a month during weekdays after 1630, or so that's how it has been explained to me by them and their chain of command (who happen to be my friends).

CEEBEE501 said:

First of all, we should stop bringing up the rules for FYOP, IMHO, because they change so much from year to year, and FYOP only last 1 month of your 4 years at RMC.

Second, you have a desk in your room to do homework at. So, you have your computer sitting on that desk. If it is a laptop, it sits on that desk. Why would you put it away somewhere else (i.e. a locker)? Right now I have a stereo system, a mouse, an external hard drive, an ipod charger, a webcam and my digital camera all hooked up to my laptop. It would be a huge hassel to disconnect it all, lock up my laptop and reconnect it all every time I left and returned to my room.

As for other small devices, it will depend on your staff. As a first year, you will be required, at a minimum, to keep you room tidy when you're not in it. However, 'tidy' might allow you to have extra things like your ipod, movies, cds, camera, cellphone, paper, books, etc. lying around, or it could mean nothing on you desk except your computer. It depends on your squadron, your chain of command, and how much you thing you can get away with.

As for Laptops in class, I'm sure a prof. could choose to not allow laptops in class, but I've never heard of it happening. Most people don't bring their laptops to class anyways, and many of those who do are just doing it so that they can a) work on other homework, or b) watch a movie. At least that my experience from what I've seen.

Lumber said:
I was referring to first year cadets as well. Our are allowed off as much as they want on weekends, but only 8 times a month during weekdays after 1630, or so that's how it has been explained to me by them and their chain of command (who happen to be my friends).

Lucky them...

I have a question about RMC ...when you're at Kingston, as ROTP, i understand that you'll be bunking with roommates. I was wondering how they would pair people up, would I have any say on who I get to be roommates with?

Arcany said:
I have a question about RMC ...when you're at Kingston, as ROTP, i understand that you'll be bunking with roommates. I was wondering how they would pair people up, would I have any say on who I get to be roommates with?

Nope!

You're in the Army CF now.

According to what I've read, first years are paired up with someone who's first language is the other official language. So, if you're english, you'll be bunking with someone who is good at french and vice versa.

Arcany, in the first semester, definately no. In the subsequent semesters, they may let the students decide on the pairings themselve.

Back