• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RMC personal belongings question

Oh, awesome, I've a friend that plans to go for RMC with me. We'll be attending RMC (IF we even get in) in 2010. I've also been wondering, if we get into RMC and decide to study engineering, what exactly happens? Like, I know that you get a basic core "set" of courses, but what's after that? Do we get to go into mechanical engineering, civil engineering...etc? Or do we just get some bachelor's of engineering degree(if that even exists)?

1st year you're in general engineering.  2nd year you get streamed (civil, mech, aeronautical, chemical, electrical or computer) but most courses are the same for all engineering students.  3rd year is where you really start specializing.  You don't have much say on your schedule.  As a Mech Eng, I had 2 electives in my 4 years.

bms said:
According to what I've read, first years are paired up with someone who's first language is the other official language. So, if you're english, you'll be bunking with someone who is good at french and vice versa.

Not so much anymore. With the reopening of RMC ST. Jean, there are very few Francos around. In my flight we have 1 Francophone.

They assigned our rooms by slapping names on a door, and when we got here that was our room. You better hope you get lucky and like your roommate, because you are pretty much stuck. For my squadron, we are allowed to choose our roommates for second semester. Everything depends on the squadron you are in, but as far as choosing roommates for first semester, it doesn't happen.

Hey i was wondering how do you get in band in there and is it a good idea to bring an instrument there. how do you get placed in squadrons?

I am interested in becoming a pilot after RMC, and I was wondering, if I were to become a pilot, which plane should I be aiming for if I want to become a commercial pilot afterward? Also, I am currently living in Vancouver so while I am enrolled in RMC as ROTP, how often would i be able to go back to Vancouver and visit my family and friends? How about when I become a pilot, how often would i be able to visit Vancouver then? I know that it is a bit early to be asking these questions, but I want to have an idea of what I'm getting myself into.

Military and civil flying are very different (with the exception of some helicopter operators). Also last I herd you are assigned training for a Airframe, unless (correct me here if I miss understood this) you are the top of your class, not to mention the pilot trade is a very competitive one. Also if I remember correctly the "vacation" periods are listed on the RMC info site and some where here.

CEEBEE501 said:
Military and civil flying are very different (with the exception of some helicopter operators). Also last I herd you are assigned training for a Airframe, unless (correct me here if I miss understood this) you are the top of your class, not to mention the pilot trade is a very competitive one. Also if I remember correctly the "vacation" periods are listed on the RMC info site and some where here.

So you're telling me that if I become a military pilot, the piloting I do there would not give me any experience for commercial piloting later on? I was thinking that if I flew something like the Aurora, it'd give me a better edge as apposed to the Cyclone(not out yet, but will be when I get there). I'm also wondering, what are Airframe (isn't that the different types of frames planes are made of?: e.g. truss types, monocoque constructions) training? You're right, the "vacation" periods ARE listed on the RMC site, my bad, thanks for pointing it out.

Well its not that it doesn't help in civil flying its just that they have different regs and piloting a CF-18 or herc is quite different then say a A340, the closest thing the AF has to a civil liner is the Polaris which is a militarized A310, also the AF have some business jet type of A/C. But pilot career wise joining the AF as a pilot will definitely be a very big advantage when applying to a civil airline for a pilots position.

Cool, I'll be aiming in piloting those aircrafts, I'm going to have to work pretty hard towards that eh?

There are tons of threads on the pilot training.  Search and you'll find. 

Just an advise.  It's good to keep your options open, however do not join the CF JUST to become a Commercial Pilot later.  If you want to be a commercial pilot, you are better off to go the civilian way, as you'll accumulate hours much faster and get to your goal much faster.  Plus, military aviation is quite different and you may just hate your life if you're on the ACTP...

ice1520 said:
Hey i was wondering how do you get in band in there and is it a good idea to bring an instrument there. how do you get placed in squadrons?

You join band when you sign up for other recreational clubs during FYOP, but you can't start going to practices until after FYOP is over. Right now, if your fitness is not up to speed (ie. you don't pass your RMC PPT test), you will be placed on supplementary PT, which means you can't really join band then either, as your SPT is at the same time in the morning as band practice. You can bring instruments, but it will be placed into the storage room on your floor during FYOP, there wouldn't be space for it in your room usually, especially as you are constantly having inspections, and instruments are not part of the room standard. Depends on the instrument though, if it's small enough you could just put it on top of your closet. Mind you, every building's rooms have different layouts and furniture, so you'd have to wait and see where you ended up.

You are assigned a squadron when you first arrive at RMC and are going through the security procedures. You have no say in this as far as I know, and if you have any family here, they will make sure to assign you to a different squadron. If you're lucky, you'll get assigned to Wolfe (7) Squadron, we're the best!

SupersonicMax said:
You won't be allowed a computer in your room on FYOP.  You will be after.  TVs, you can forget about it for the first 2 years, as well as gaming consoles.  3rd and 4th year, possibly.  Depends on the squadron you're in. AFAICR, you can't have any personnal belongings in your room during FYOP (aside from scool stuff).  All your civies must be put away in your kit bags and stored under your bed. I'd bring minimal stuff during FYOP.  Afterwards, bring/buy stuff you need and want little bit by little bit.
I understand in the first year you room with another person (usually who speaks the other language if you're monolingual) so that would be why you're not allowed to have a PC, because it takes up space... but would they at least allow you to have a laptop? It takes up less space and could be stored under the bed when the roommate is using the desk right?

Even if the professors prefer we make handwritten notes, for assignments and things it is a huge help to be able to use at least a word processor. If they don't allow a laptop then hopefully they at least let you keep some flash drives to use at the local computer lab? I want to bring an external HD full of gundam anime to watch :) Stuff like that is motivating for the defender's spirit.

tyciol said:
I understand in the first year you room with another person (usually who speaks the other language if you're monolingual) so that would be why you're not allowed to have a PC, because it takes up space... but would they at least allow you to have a laptop? It takes up less space and could be stored under the bed when the roommate is using the desk right?

Even if the professors prefer we make handwritten notes, for assignments and things it is a huge help to be able to use at least a word processor. If they don't allow a laptop then hopefully they at least let you keep some flash drives to use at the local computer lab? I want to bring an external HD full of gundam anime to watch :) Stuff like that is motivating for the defender's spirit.

Poppycock.

You can have a laptop or PC in your room during FYOP. Your profs will expect (but won't oblige) you to do any kind of essay using word processors. You won't be allowed to use your computer outside of study hours (unless its late at night, you're suppose to be sleeping and your door is locked  ;D), but then again you won't have any time during FYOP outside of study hours to use it.

Also, they say you're suppose to room with someone of another language. The reality is, they start with the first room in the hallway and put the first two people on their alphabetical attendance sheet in that room, then in the next room the next two people from their alphabetically sorted attendance sheet. If you're lucky enough to get a Franco roommate, bonus to you. But he probably already speaks English and won't want to hear your pathetic attempt at French. (ok that's rare, most of them are nice guys who don't mind helping you with your French, but there were horror stories during my FYOP)

If I understand this correct you will need extra bags to store stuff right? Now is it required I get these at St-jean or where ever else I am told to get them, or if I know someone who owns a company that makes them in non CDN colours(MARPAT, ACU, USMC desert) would I be allowed to bring those insted? Like waterproof drawstring type bags to put in regulation bags.
Also said person does market them to the Canadian Forces, also one of the owners is actually going to Afghanistan some time this year.
(They owners are also my Math(all of them) and Chem teachers)

If you get a CF Issue dufflebag, or clone, it will help you on FYOP. Makes it easier to pass it off as military kit.

Cheeky monkey, I don't know when you did FYOP, but luggage was a non-issue for us this year. CEEB, you're overthinking the issue waaay too much. Just bring whatever you bring in whatever you want. If you're supposed to get duffel bags or whatever (which the first years this year haven't even been issued with yet), they'll give them to you. If your luggage won't fit in your room (each building's rooms are laid out differently), then there will be a storage room you can put your stuff in. I have regular suitcases, along with everyone else in my flight, and we just stuck them on top of our closets. Trust me, you'll have much more important things to think about when you get here than luggage.

I think what cheeky_monkey was alluding to was the fact that while we often put our extra luggage (suitcases and such) in the storage room, we keep our CF duffel bags in our rooms, under our beds, or wherever, it depends on which building you're in. So, if you want to have some personal affects more readily accessible, you can put them in a kit (duffel) bag and have them right there under your bed. Chances are your staff isn't going to suspect anything and won't check to see that you have stack of hustlers ;D, a bottle of jack daniel's and a box of mini wheats stashed at the bottom.  >:D

If this isn't what he was getting at, then I don't know why he feels the need to pass his stuff off as "military kit"...

Oh no I was just wondering if I would get in trouble for bringing them to keep stuff in. Because are acutally quite nice and handy

During FYOP, not a chance. In our flight anyway, they took away all our phones at the beginning of FYOP, and you had 15 minutes a day where you could use it (you had to ask permission though). On Sundays, there's a 2 hour block or so in the morning where they would give you back your phones and internet cables, so you could go nuts then and catch up with friends and family. Every flight was slightly different in their rules though. After FYOP, you get your phones and internet cables back, and then you can do whatever you want. I didn't even bother getting a cellphone until after FYOP, I figured why pay for it then when I couldn't use it. I just called my family on Sundays using Skype on my laptop.

Back