• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rising up the ranks.

patrick666

Inactive
Reaction score
I will soon be joining up for Infantry and I would like to progress through the ranks through hardwork and learning. What kind of leadership and extra courses can you take while in Infantry? Is it even at all possible to train on the side? This is my primary goal for my career in the army so far. I do not have any university experience for officer training and, frankly, do not want to be an officer right yet. I'd like to soak in all that I can while I can so that it will make me a smarter, stronger, soldier. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers,

Patrick  :cdn:

Patrick H. said:
Is it even at all possible to train on the side?
Are you asking if it is possible to train in another occupation while remaining infantry, or are you asking about officer training while being an NCM?

I'd like to stay in the Infantry but I was asking about the latter question there.

p.s. where in Alberta are you? Edmonton? I currently live in Kananaskis. It's such an isolated bubble.

Some military courses are open to all ranks (Basic Para, Basic Winter Warfare, Pathfinder).  However, you are unlikely to find courses designed for officers that are available to NCMs because you would not use the skills taught.

The OPMEs (available through the RMC website) are required for officers but available to everyone.

There are a few other courses available that could also help when you are higher in rank, Harassment Investigator, Advisor, Sharp Instructor and Safety management.

Sharp WO

Is there anything you can do to move up the ranks fast. Like what would they be looking for when thinking of promotions?

Firstly, there's a strict time-in requirement for each rank. To go from Private to Corporal, you need 4 years in the reg force, or 2 years in the reserves. From Cpl to MCpl, you have to take the Primary Leadership Qualification. In some trades, you must take other courses to be eligible for PLQ. In the infantry reserves, for example, we have a Platoon Support Weapons Qualification which corporals are supposed to take prior to going on PLQ.

For every leadership rank there's a qualifying course you have to take to get it. You also have to have a certain time in rank. Even with that, you usually won't get promoted immedately once you hit the minimum time in rank. It depends on vacancies, and the merit of candidates to fill them. There are no automatic promotions, bar Pte-Cpl, and that is still contingement on finishing all your basic trades training, and not being such a hell raiser that your CO refuses to sign off on your promotion for a year to make a point.

You EARN your promotions. You'll work hard, and wait quite a while for them, but there's a lot of pride when you get them.

How long would it usually take to go from Pte. to Sgt.? Or is it very different for different people?

Even though I am not in the military, as of yet, I would assume that it is very different for different people. You don't get promotions through slacking off and ass-kissing. Though, some would disagree. Every bag of lips, there's an arsehole.

Rather than worry about how you can get through the ranks as quickly as possible, why not focus on enjoying the rank you're in?
Work on establishing personal competency in your trade, use your initiative when appropriate, and before you know it, you'll be nominated for PLQ. Then it all starts over again, sort of. You'll work on gaining competency as a Leader/Section 2IC/Commander, in addition to your competency as a soldier/rifleman, and before you know it, you'll be   nominated for SLQ (or whatever).

What I'm saying is that if you are only looking for the end state (Sgt, WO, RSM, CO, CDS), you'll spend your whole career focussed on something you want to attain, rather than enjoying what you have attained.

As a Private, I loved the lack of responsibility and the idea that I just had to 'do', and not worry about planning, leading (formally), etc.
As a Corporal (non-2IC/Commander), I loved not getting all of the sh*t jobs, yet still avoiding most responsibility.
As a Cpl (Section Cmdr/2IC), I love the responsibility of command, and the idea that the position of Sect  Cdr is the only leadership position in the CF where you lead soldiers - all other Leaders lead other Leaders.

You get the idea.....Ambition is good, but enjoy where you are....even if that is 'applicant'...that was kinda fun too!

- Show up early and be ready to work everyday.

- stay physically fit if your current job allows leaway in fitness.

- volunteer for anything.

- stay positive, even about a sh***y situation.

- ex cirrcular courses, especially the OPME will be an asset.

- Don't kiss a**, I think it's more transparent than most of those people realize.

- Remember, everyone respects a good work ethic.

Keep those basic's in mind...I'm sure there's lots of other not mentioned but these come to mind atm.  This isn't a formula for promotion, but it'll certainly leave you with pride regardless of what rank you are.

Back