• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RIP Pte Kevin McKay, PPCLI, 13 May 2010

.... from the GG/Commander-in-Chief:
My husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, and I were very saddened to learn that a Canadian Forces soldier died when an improvised explosive device detonated during a dismounted night patrol 15 kilometres southwest of Kandahar.

Private Kevin Thomas McKay was from the 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry based in Edmonton, Alberta.

It is with utmost respect that we salute the commitment of Private McKay and of all members of the Canadian Forces who, with energy and determination, are putting their heart and soul into making the Afghan people’s dream of a better and secure life a reality. Let us pay tribute to this soldier who sacrificed his own life in the name of this ideal of justice and freedom. We will never forget him.

On behalf of all Canadians, I would like to offer my sincerest condolences to his family, loved ones and fellow soldiers. We share their pain and sorrow.

....the Prime Minister....
“It is with deep sorrow that I extend my condolences, and those of all Canadians, to the family and friends of Private Kevin Thomas McKay, who died yesterday in Afghanistan as a result of wounds sustained from an improvised explosive device.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to you at this time of loss.

"Private Kevin Thomas McKay was part of an international coalition working to bring peace and security to this troubled country.  Canadians are forever proud and grateful for his service and for the contributions of all our men and women in uniform to this UN-mandated, NATO-led mission.

"There are risks to our mission, but the brave men and women of the Canadian Forces are showing leadership, alongside our international partners, in standing up for something that is just: helping the Afghan people achieve peace and stability and rebuild their country and its institutions.

"I join with Canadians who stand proudly with the men and women of the Canadian Forces as they courageously risk their lives every day to bring peace and security to the people of Afghanistan.  Private Kevin Thomas McKay served Canada valiantly, and deserves the gratitude and respect of his nation.”

.... and Canada's Minister of National Defence:
“I am deeply saddened by the loss of Private Kevin Thomas McKay. This brave soldier died yesterday in Afghanistan when an improvised explosive device detonated during a dismounted night patrol in the Panjwayi district, approximately 15 kilometres southwest of Kandahar City. My heartfelt condolences and prayers go to his family and friends. The Canadian Forces family mourns with you during this difficult time.

Canada is in Afghanistan at the request of the democratically elected Afghan government and is a partner in a United Nations-mandated, NATO-led mission to bring peace and stability to the Afghan people.

The men and women of the Canadian Forces remain committed to the mission to help the Afghan people build a better future.

Pte McKay gave his life while proudly serving Canada and to bring back hope to a population that has seen hardship and turmoil. We are all saddened by this loss and will remain forever grateful.”

RIP Kevin.  :cdn:

Condolences to his family and Regimental brothers.

Dave Payne

Another soldier's coming home...
R.I.P.
My prayers for the family and friends
  :salute: :cdn: :yellow:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/05/14/13955706.html

Don't give up Afghan fight, grieving dad says

By DON PEAT, Toronto Sun
Last Updated: May 14, 2010 7:31pm

HORSESHOE VALLEY — “Finish the job.”

That’s the message from the grieving father of Canada’s latest soldier to die in Afghanistan.
Fred McKay, a veteran Toronto Fire captain, delivered it on his front lawn just north of Barrie, while inside his house his wife, Beth, and son, Riley, grieved for their lost son and brother.

Pte. Kevin McKay, 24, died Thursday, two days shy of the end of his first tour, killed by an improvised explosive device while on night patrol in the Panjwayi district, about 15 km southwest of Kandahar City. He’s the 144th Canadian soldier to die in Afghanistan since 2002.

“My son’s coming home from Afghanistan as a fallen soldier, and I think every soldier there and the ones that are going in the next battle group would say, ‘Leave them there until the job is done,’” McKay told the Sun Friday.

“You cannot give a date to withdraw troops, it has to be based on the objectives, if they haven’t completed the task, leave them there and get it done, support them 150% so they have the resources to get the job done and then bring them home.”
The objective should be training the Afghan army and police and letting the citizens over there know “there is a better way of life,” McKay said.

“What’s the Taliban doing? They’ll say OK, see you. They’ll claim victory and the death of those 144 will be in vain and we’ll start over again a year later because things will descend into chaos again,” he said. “It’s a commitment and when you make a commitment, you see it through to the end ... (Kevin) was committed, finish the job.”
Half a world away in Kandahar, McKay’s son’s friends and fellow soldiers gathered to send him home in a flag-draped coffin.

His father, known to be a proud dad among his fellow Toronto firefighters, said he still swells with pride when he looks at a photo of his son in fatigues taken in the midst of his deployment with 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry based in Edmonton, Alta.

A carpenter by trade, the last time their son talked to his parents was on Mother’s Day.
“To the parents out there, hug your children because you never know when they’re not coming back home,” McKay said, fighting back tears.

Along the family’s rural road, neighbours were busy tying yellow ribbons on trees and posts.
Up the road the sign for Loobies restaurant at Horseshoe Valley Rd. and Hwy. 93 has been changed as a tribute to a lost hometown boy.
“In loving memory of Pte. Kevin McKay,” it reads. “We salute our hero and friend.”

At Barrie’s Eastview Secondary School, where McKay graduated in 2004, the shock was still settling in.
Teacher Tom Fontaine taught him Grade 12 philosophy and remembered a student who was a “positive influence” with a “good sense of humour.”
“There’s a lot of sadness here,” Fontaine said.

In Toronto, Fire Division Chief of Staff Services David Sheen said firefighters are planning to line key points along the route when McKay is repatriated.
While it’s not unusual to see Toronto Fire attend a repatriation ceremony, this one hits close to home.

“Although he obviously wasn’t a firefighter, he’s still part of the firefighter family,” Sheen said.

don.peat@sunmedia.ca

My condolences and respect, Sir.

This from the warpoet.ca web page, shared in accordance with the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright  Act:
yesterday will take a long time to comprehend. to be allowed to hold a grieving mother. to witness bringing her beloved son home. his father. his brother.

to witness the grace and sincerity of Michaëlle Jean as she spoke to the family. then see her speak to the troops that brought young Mickey home. she thanked me for my work. but I am no one, not quite sure how/why I should be present at this grief that is so private and public at once.

I stood, my arm around the waist of a woman whose courage helps to keep me going. her husband still out there in the desert. he’ll be the last one out.

as war artists I believe that we try to voice everyman. and with this tightrope notebook (of thoughts, fragments, wanderings, words strung together so damned inadequately… but I promised to be as real time as possible) I try to say, country, beloved country. wake up. there are people willing to step up, give everything for something that is greater. their mothers and fathers, their brothers, sisters, wives, lovers step up too ....

More on link

R.I.P Soldier  :salute: :cdn: :yellow:
My condolences to his family, friends, and brothers in arms.

RIP Soldier, you've made your Country proud
My condolences go out to this brave soldier's family and friends and brother's in arm

" Get the job done!"....Pte. McKay, your dad said that in his most difficult hours to the rest of us.You have a brave family, and a brave heart. Rest in peace, Trooper. Job done. My condolences to your family, your Regiment, and your friends. Ubique  :yellow: :cdn:

This from yorkregion.com - highlights mine - shared in accordance with the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright  Act:
The emotional outpouring for Richmond Hill native and fallen soldier Private Kevin Thomas McKay continues, not only here, or in Barrie where his family resides, but across the country.

Killed while on night patrol, east of Kandahar City, Pte. McKay was just two days away from finishing his first tour in Afghanistan and heading home.

Last week’s death of the 24-year-old soldier, who was known for his keen wit and jovial attitude, still weighs heavily and thousands turned out along the highway of heroes to salute Pte. McKay’s motorcade travelling from Trenton to Toronto Sunday afternoon.

A visitation for Pte. McKay will take place at the Steckley-Gooderham Funeral Home, 201 Minet’s Pt. Rd. in Barrie, Thursday from 2 to 4 p.m. and again from 6 to 9 p.m.

Pte. McKay’s funeral procession Friday will leave from a second Steckley-Gooderham home located at 30 Worsley St. in Barrie at 10 a.m.

The procession will travel to the Barrie Armoury, 37 Parkside Dr., for an 11 a.m. service. There will be a private family interment ceremony for Pte. McKay at the National Military Cemetery at Beechwood Cemetery in Ottawa at a later date.

The young man’s sacrifice has touched many. The Town of Richmond Hill has lowered its flags to half mast at all facilities since the former resident’s death.

A book for residents to offer condolences has also been set out in the lobby of municipal headquarters at 225 East Beaver Creek Rd. for residents to sign.

The book will be delivered to the McKay family and as of Tuesday morning close to 250 signatures and messages had been penned by residents.

A Facebook site titled R.I.P. Kevin Thomas McKay has nearly 2,000 members
, many offering condolences and prayers along a digital comments wall.

One of those comments was from Pte. McKay’s younger brother, Riley, saying “he couldn’t thank people enough” for the overwhelming support his family received during the repatriation ceremony Sunday and those who have sent messages to honour “Kevin’s memory”.

“He was a great soldier, friend, nephew, brother and son. I will always remember Kevin as the most genuine person I will ever know,” Riley’s Facebook post goes on to say.

Don Cherry, of Hockey Night in Canada fame, and staunch supporter of Canadian troops, also honoured Pte. McKay at the end of the Coach’s Corner segment of Sunday night’s Stanley Cup hockey broadcast.

The segment featured photographs of Pte. McKay with friends and family in addition to what has become the familiar photo of a baby-faced soldier in uniform.

Bryon Wilfert, Richmond Hill MP and vice-chair of the standing committee on (N)ational defence, also released a message of condolence, via his website, regarding the loss of Pte. McKay.

I saw these images today of Pte McKay's ramp ceremony and repatriation.Very moving.

serverl.jpg

serverwd.jpg

serverqq.jpg

servero.jpg

serverf.jpg

Oh Wow!  They are amazing!  Thanks for sharing tomahawk6!

:cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn:
:yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow:

I agree, TFLY
The photo in which the Sgt is saluting is very telling.  Look at the people off in the distance, slightly out of focus.

Thanks for posting these, T6!

:salute:

He was a good man, I had a chance to work with him before his military career.

RIP Kevin thank you.

The ones that get me every time I see such photos are the ones where the men are locking arms to bear the weight of their brother in arms.  Chilling...

Mid Aged Silverback said:
I feel a chill looking at those pictures. Well done. :salute:

Some of that chill is the pride you are feeling.  You must be so proud of your son.  I get that same chill everytime I see you name and see the picture of your son.  Good job on raising a hero!  :yellow:

This from the Toronto Star:

fb82708948088fb386029b43585b.jpeg

The body of Pte Kevin McKay is transported on a gun carriage behind a LAV as they arrive at the Barrie Armoury where the service was held today. (May 21, 2010) DAVID COOPER/TORONTO STAR

The life of Kevin McKay is best honoured by cracking a cold beer, chopping a bit of wood and breaking into his signature dance, the two-finger shuffle, said family friend Jeff Maize.

“Seeing that it’s the Victoria Day long weekend,” Maize told the mourners inside the Barrie Armoury. More than 1,000 people came to pay tribute to the affable soldier, who was killed when a roadside bomb exploded on May 13.

During the traditional military service, McKay was remembered as a man with a large heart and an even larger appetite.

When McKay was 5, he had a stuffed animal named Gordie Gorilla with a zippered pouch on the back, Maize told the mourners. McKay’s mom, Beth, saw a Gordie-sized lump in her son’s bed and reached inside to see what the gorilla was hiding.

“She came out with pizza slices that were a couple of days old,” Maize said. “Kevin wanted them there in case he got hungry.”

McKay’s sandwich combinations were legendary and his favourite was cheese whiz, chips and plum sauce, he said.

“He was a wannabe chef,” Maize said. “He taught his friends lessons, like the risks of cooking bacon without a shirt on.”

Pte. Jesse Gerard, who accompanied McKay’s body home to Barrie, told the mourners that McKay was the main platoon chef, always making something out of nothing.

“We always made sure he ate last,” he said of his friend’s legendary hunger ....

More on link

Very well done tribute video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrfZ9bfjLdc&feature=related

TFLY said:
Some of that chill is the pride you are feeling.  You must be so proud of your son.  I get that same chill everytime I see you name and see the picture of your son.  Good job on raising a hero!  :yellow:

Thank you,,,,

RIP ALL our fallen comrades! :salute: :cdn:

Back