• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RIP Lt. Andrew Nuttall

charlesm

Inactive
Reaction score
Shared in accordance with copyright laws

http://www.timescolonist.com/Soldier+from+Victoria+killed+Afghanistan/2376497/story.html

A Victoria soldier who surprised friends when he joined the military to go to Afghanistan and help people was killed Wednesday by an improvised explosive device.

Lieut. Andrew Richard Nuttall was on a foot patrol near the village of Nakhonay about 25 kilometres southwest of Kandahar City when he was killed. Also killed was a soldier of the Afghan National Army and an Afghan interpreter.

Nuttall is the son of a prominent Victoria doctor and nurse, Richard and Jane Nuttall, who are involved with setting up medical clinics in Third World countries.

Friends remember a man who wanted to use his abilities to do the most good he could.

“He was the type of person who always put others first,” said Craig Patterson, a friend and the owner of Crossfit School of Fitness in Vancouver, where Nuttall previously trained and worked.

The avid athlete and former University of Victoria student was a member of the 1st Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, based in Edmonton, which went to Afghanistan in October for a six-month tour. Their job is to work with soldiers and police of the Afghan National Security Forces to improve security.

It was Nuttall’s first tour, though he had been in the military for almost three years, Patterson said.

Friends remember him as a good-natured, happy person who wanted to help the people in Afghanistan.

Janine Armstrong, a friend of Nuttall’s from university, saw him at a wedding in Victoria in the summer. He walked in wearing his uniform, surprising many people there.

“He said there are so many places in the world that need help. He thought that by going to Afghanistan, he could make a difference,” Armstrong said yesterday. “He saw it as an opportunity to get in on the ground level and help people in a situation that a lot of other people won’t put themselves in. He said he knew it was something he could do. He wasn’t afraid.”

Nuttall kept a Facebook site and a personal blog where he gave periodic cheery updates from Afghanistan.

There are several references to improvised explosive devices, including one in which he wrote that he was making headway with locals and getting information about weapons and IEDs.

In a Nov. 15 update, Nuttall wrote that the soldiers were finding IEDs “like they’re going out of style.” He also refers to the group losing “two really good guys to IEDs.”

Both were friends, Nuttall wrote. Despite the loss, he says, “all of us here are very proud to be doing this, no one is doubting their decision to be here and all of us know how strongly we are supported by great people like yourselves back home.”

The most recent update was on Dec. 1, where he noted that his tour was being extended to mid-June.

“All of us here (including me) are not worried about this extension. We all believe in what we’re doing and an extra few weeks isn’t going to hurt anyone in the long run (as long as we maintain our vigilance of course),” he wrote.

That kind of comment doesn’t surprise Patterson, who said Nuttall could have had any number of careers that would have meant a much quieter life than the military.

“He always said, ‘That is just too easy.’”

Patterson had a long talk with his friend shortly before he left on the Afghanistan tour.

“He told me, ‘Patty, the infantry is my home and until I lead men into combat and see what I am made of, I won’t truly know who I am as a man.’”

It was as if Nuttall had to pick the hardest thing he could, Patterson said.

“It was like he knew he was capable of being a good leader and that if he knew that, he should do it. It was his duty.”

Other Islanders killed in Afghanistan include Miles Mansell, a reservist from Langford who was killed by an IED on April 22, 2006.

Cpl. Andrew “Boomer” Eykelenboom of Comox was killed Aug. 11, 2006, by a suicide bomber. The 23-year-old was a Canadian Forces medic.

kwestad@tc.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

News Release
Canadian soldier killed by improvised explosive device
CEFCOM NR 09.032 - December 23, 2009

OTTAWA — One Canadian soldier and one soldier of the Afghan National Army (ANA) were killed by an improvised explosive device that detonated during a joint foot patrol near the village of Nakhonay in Panjwaii District, about 25 km southwest of Kandahar City, on December 23, 2009. The explosion also injured an Afghan interpreter.

AR_nuttall.jpg

Lieutenant Andrew Richard Nuttall

Killed in action was Lieutenant Andrew Richard Nuttall, from the 1st Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (1 PPCLI), based in Edmonton, Alberta, serving as a member of the 1 PPCLI Battle Group. The names of the Afghan soldier and interpreter will not be released.

At this sad time, our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of our fallen Canadian and Afghan comrades. The commitment and sacrifice of our soldiers and their loved ones are helping to make a difference in the lives of the people of Kandahar Province.

Members of Joint Task Force Afghanistan work with the soldiers and police of the Afghan National Security Forces to improve security and build a better future for Afghans. Canada remains committed to bringing peace, stability and good governance to Afghanistan.

–30–

Note to editors (Note: new procedure): A photograph of Lieutenant Andrew Richard Nuttall is available on the Fallen Canadians page of the Department of National Defence website. Please visit http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/focus/fallen-disparus/index-eng.asp

Prayers out to the Nuttall family.

I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above,
Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love;
The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,
That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
The love that never falters, the love that pays the price,
The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.

Sincerest condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of the fallen, Canada's as well as Afghanistan's.

:salute:

The angels have received another honourable man in their midst tonight; may that bring comfort to his family, friends and fellow soldiers.

Sleep well & peacefully Sir.

Another fine soldier who made the ultimate sacrifice. 

RIP

You will be missed by many brother. RIP Sir.

Been listening to a mix he made and put up on his blog here http://www.nuttman.info/

"Maybe the daily drudgery of life is a lot like open-water swimming; you fight to stay afloat, move as fast as you can to avoid sinking, and head for the Island after every lap.

If it weren’t for the islands it would be hard to keep on going. " - A.N.

Statement
Statement by the Minister of National Defence on the death of Lieutenant Andrew Richard Nuttall
NR - 09.118 - December 23, 2009

OTTAWA - The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, issued the following statement today on the death of Lieutenant Andrew Richard Nuttall in Afghanistan.

“I would like to express my profound condolences to the families and friends of Lieutenant Andrew Richard Nuttall, who died as the result of an improvised explosive device detonating near his patrol.

The incident occurred in the vicinity of Nakhonay, Panjwaii district, approximately 25 kilometers southwest of Kandahar City.

Our thoughts are with the family of the Afghan National Army soldier who was killed and the ISAF interpreter who was injured during the same tragic incident.
This UN-sanctioned, NATO lead mission is not without its challenges, and Canada’s government continues to show international leadership, alongside our international partners, to help the Afghan people achieve peace and stability in order rebuild their country and its institutions.

Our valiant men and women in uniform are steadfast in their efforts to build a brighter future for the people of Afghanistan.

Lieutenant Andrew Richard Nuttall was an extraordinary Canadian who will always deserve recognition and respect of his ultimate sacrifice for this nation.”

– 30 –

Killed in action was Lieutenant Andrew Richard Nuttall, from the 1st Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (1 PPCLI), based in Edmonton, Alberta, serving as a member of the 1 PPCLI Battle Group.

Message from Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, on the death of Lieutenant Andrew Richard Nuttall

OTTAWA—Once again, the entire country is in mourning. Lieutenant Andrew Richard Nuttall from the 1st Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, based in Edmonton, Alberta, was killed when an anti-personnel mine exploded. A soldier from the Afghan National Army also died and an Afghan interpreter was injured. My husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, and I are deeply saddened.

This death comes at the end of a particularly difficult year and as we begin the holiday season, an important time for families.

It is a harsh reminder of the enormous sacrifices our soldiers and their loved ones have agreed to make so that stability and security can be re-established in a dangerous region of the world and to help people who have been deprived of their most fundamental rights, distressed by years of violence and oppression.

It is a harsh reminder that, day and night, despite successive attacks and the loss of their comrades, our soldiers continue to take enormous risks, and to work in and patrol mined areas of Afghanistan in the name of justice and freedom.

We will never forget Lieutenant Nuttall, his courage, his generous spirit, his sense of duty and dedication, or the ultimate sacrifice he made. At this extremely difficult time, our thoughts are with his family, his loved ones and his comrades. Our thoughts are also with all Canadian military personnel deployed abroad, far away from their families.

Michaëlle Jean

‑30‑

Media Information
Marie-Ève Létourneau
Rideau Hall Press Office
613-998-0287
www.gg.ca
www.citizenvoices.gg.ca

Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada
24 December 2009
Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued the following statement today on the death of a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan:

“I join all Canadians in offering my sincere and heartfelt sympathy and condolences to the family and loved ones of Lieutenant Andrew Nuttall, who was killed today in Afghanistan.  The impact of this news is especially profound during the holiday season and will be felt in households across the country.

“Lieutenant Nuttall was a professional soldier who was dedicated to providing stability for the Afghan people.

“This same terrible incident took the life of an Afghan National Army Soldier and injured an ISAF interpreter.  I also extend my sympathies to their families and friends.

“Canadians are proud of our military men and women.  We support their families, and all those who serve and sacrifice to protect the interests and values of Canadians.  We will not waiver in our goal of helping Afghans rebuild their country as a stable, democratic and self-sufficient society.

“Lieutenant Nuttall’s sacrifice will not be forgotten.”

Nutts was an awesome person and a dedicated soldier.  I did two phase courses with him and his optimism could always light up a day that was other wise going to shits.  He'll be missed.

In our thoughts and prayers.

Very sad news this Christmas eve.  :salute:

RIP soldier, and my condolences to his friends, family and comrades in arms.

:yellow:

Back