• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rifle Regiment marchpast

Shec

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
What is the sequence of elements when a rifle regt.'s marches past?    Band - Pioneers- main body,  Pioneers - band - main body, or something else completely?      Thanks :salute:

when marching in column of route, it was normally skirmishers - band - main body. The pioneers march with the band to protect the drums emblazoned with the regiment's battle honours.

rifleman said:
when marching in column of route, it was normally skirmishers - band - main body. The pioneers march with the band to protect the drums emblazoned with the regiment's battle honours.

I think this practice  depends very much on the Regiment. During my Militia service in Toronto 1974-1982, IIRC the Pioneers and Skirmishers of the Queen's Own Rifles normally preceded the Drums and Bugles, the Band, and the main body. Although I know that the Royal Winnipeg Rifles do it, I wonder about the historical accuracy of the Pioneers "protecting the Drums" since traditionally the place of Pioneers in a column of march was well out in front of everybody, clearing the route.

Cheers

pbi said:
I think this practice  depends very much on the Regiment. During my Militia service in Toronto 1974-1982, IIRC the Pioneers and Skirmishers of the Queen's Own Rifles normally preceded the Drums and Bugles, the Band, and the main body. Although I know that the Royal Winnipeg Rifles do it, I wonder about the historical accuracy of the Pioneers "protecting the Drums" since traditionally the place of Pioneers in a column of march was well out in front of everybody, clearing the route.

Cheers

Why would drums in Rifle Regiments be worthy of preservation but not in other regiments?  Well, I realize that Rifle Regiments don't have Colours and that their Battle Honours are emblazoned on the drums - but Highland Regiments have Battle Honours on the drums too and no one to guard them (though the tenor drummers can certainly be intimidating flinging their girls in circles...)

There really isn't a need to protect the drums.  It started I believe because other infantry regiments salute their colours and guard them. Hence, someone in the Rifles felt the same should be done for the drums. Rifle regiments wear their battle honours on their cap badges.

Back