• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rick's Napkin Forces Challenge

Interesting thread. Even more interesting is that nobody has used, or mentioned CFB Comox in their ideas.

Shhhhhh.... they don't want to give away a good thing ;)

silence shut up GIF by Hyper RPG

ArmyRick’s marching orders didn’t include the CCG’s feelings. Pragmatically, a coastal (primarily constabulary) focus with some ability to marry up to a SNMG or the like would suffice.

Make sure that goes in your napkin force. I like mine. But thanks for the input!

Okay continuing on the Kevin Napkin Force

RTC: Recruiting and Training Command (1,000 pers)

A 4 year contract for initial recruits is offered with no guaranteed MOSID/MOS/MOC whatever you want to call it -- performance is rewarded during training - and Candidates are offered what is deemed the best positions for their skills and aptitudes.

All Applicants screened for on Mental Psychological, as well as Loyalty (Lie Detector during certain phases of interviews).

Common Entry Course - 6 months in CFB Gagetown, + 1 month arctic phase.
Emphasis on Weapons safety, Pistol Training to start.
Each Command will have some input during phases - so all recruits get an understand of the entire Force structure - their roles, duties and responsibilities. As well as Foreign Language training and observations memory drills are conducted throughout.

Upon Graduating from CEC - all personnel go to GCI for 4 months - Ground Combat Instruction - emphasis on small unit tactics, MMA style unarmed fighting.
During this phase candidates are offered certain pipeline options depending upon aptitude testing and results on courses.

* No member will enter CSOC direct from training, and must apply for Selection after 2 years in their initial position.

SPC: Support Command (2,000 pers).
Since Rick didn't tell me I couldn't contract out a lot of Logistics, Medical/Dental etc - I chose to go that route - with only specific trades being used in Support Command (I don't have an expeditionary Army - and the large capital items (Ships and planes) will be run with an frightfully expensive OEM maintenance contract.

Support Command will deal with certain specific military equipment from a supply stand point, as well as holdings of expendables (ammo, food, POL - and ensuring the OEM Maintenance is conducted.

Universal Service Regulations.
* MultiCam for all - no dress uniform - no drill.
** Must wear an appropriate for the task footwear -- no flip flops when ruck marching, or jumping.
Oh and back to rank insignia that people can understand.
NO Drugs - sorry Potheads - I don't give a F what JT said - I am the Galactic Space Emperor.
ANY Trade is open to anyone who can meet the standard -
No Earrings for anyone - no Man buns - #2 on the top and #1 on the sides -->everyone inc the MGEN CDS * except for AFO and HUMINT personnel.
Women who want - can grow a beard - no one else except AFO or HUMINT.
The CF re institutes the death penalty - by firing squad for certain service offices ( top ones - sexual assault, murder, treason, adultery, officers who lie, cheat or steal)
*** If the Woke don't like that - I have a very capable SOF that will see me sitting as the new Canadian Emperor ;)

There are some ideas here I can get on board with.

Napkin Army_Page_9.jpg
I renamed a few things - and made the Regional/Areas more clearly defined than my walls of text.

As far as power projection - the only real force is the Naval Task Forces - and they are primarily detect and deter - same with the Air Task Forces.
The AWACS and P-8's are the main keys to that, as well as the UAV forces - and the SSN's for subsurface.
The F-35 are simply for protection of those assets.

Internally the Ground Defense Force is really just there to show the flag - and protect installations.

CSOC is the primary tool for internal and external "work" to deal with the destabilizing influences.

As far as power projection - the only real force is the Naval Task Forces - and they are primarily detect and deter - same with the Air Task Forces.
The AWACS and P-8's are the main keys to that, as well as the UAV forces - and the SSN's for subsurface.
The F-35 are simply for protection of those assets.

Internally the Ground Defense Force is really just there to show the flag - and protect installations.

CSOC is the primary tool for internal and external "work" to deal with the destabilizing influences.
- I didn't put any GBAD my setup - mainly as the F-35A, and the Naval forces are the primary force for that.
Secondly with the US Military assets that will defend an incursion - I deemed that risk low to cast off, as well as I am a firm believer that Individual SAM and AT weapons should be well individual - and part of a common issues scale.

If I had 2k more personnel - I would have had BGAD Network coast to coast - - but given the briefing points - I viewed the Russian interference and the two separatist movements to be the main concern - thus spend PY's on being able to interdict and neutralize those.

Working on it still -

25 km radius circles around major airports and some other points of interest.

This probably covers over 90% of Canada's population.

And a lot of space between.

Ranging Canada.jpg

And Ranging Toronto

Pearson Airport - 1 km, 2 km, 5 km, 10km, 25 km

Ranging Toronto.jpg

And Ranging Toronto

Pearson Airport - 1 km, 2 km, 5 km, 10km, 25 km
Purpose?

The AWACS E767 I proposed has a 320km+ 360 coverage - which is why I went with that than additional fixed locations -

Or this is GBAD related?
And you plan on shooting down incoming around (and over) population centers?

I'm not trying to be a jerk (but I am usually very successful at it) I am just curious.

Most revolutions in military affairs have been driven by technological advances. Here's some thinking about what those might look like as 'design fodder'.

FORECASTING CHANGE IN MILITARY TECHNOLOGY, 2020-2040

SYNOPSIS
In the 1990s, much of the United States strategic community was breathless about the
so-called revolution in military affairs, or RMA. I doubted at the time that a revolution was
underway and would conclude today that in fact no broad-brush revolution has occurred
since the Cold War ended. Old methods of combat and legacy systems have not been
rendered fundamentally obsolete by progress in technology, military organizations, or
operational concepts.

However, the RMA may be back. And the revolution may really happen this time. The
period of 2020 to 2040 seems likely to experience significantly more change than
the previous two decades in the character of warfare. For the period from 2000 to
2020, revolutionary technological change probably occurred only in various aspects of
computers and robotics. For the next two decades, those areas will remain fast-moving,
and they will be joined by various breakthroughs in artificial intelligence and the use of
big data.

The battlefield implications in domains such as swarms of robotic systems,
usable as both sensors and weapons, may truly come of age. In addition, laser weapons,
reusable rockets, hypersonic missiles, rail guns, unmanned submarines, biological
pathogens, and nanomaterials may wind up advancing very fast. The sum total may or
may not add up to a revolution. But the potential cannot be dismissed.

Moreover, the rise of China and return of Russia supercharge the competition and raise
the stakes. The marriage of rapid technological progress with strategic dynamism and
hegemonic change could prove especially potent. The return of great-power competition

during an era of rapid progress in science and technology could reward innovators, and
expose vulnerabilities, much more than has been the case this century to date.
Some areas of military technology—most types of sensors, most types of major vehicles,
most underlying technologies for nuclear and chemical weapons of mass destruction—
seem unlikely to change dramatically.

But perhaps a true military revolution of sorts will occur even without such developments. The key question, as always, will be how these individual technology trends interact synergistically with each other, and how military organizations as well as political leaders innovate to employ them on the battlefield.

I tend to believe that the term "revolution in military affairs" is an overused term.

IMHO, I recognize only two RMAs in the last one hundred and fifty years: those generated by the development of the internal combustion engine and nuclear weapons. The first because it changed the entire scope of land and naval warfare and created air warfare and the second because it exposed any and every homeland to utter destruction as a possible outcome at the moment of a strategic conventional victory. Those were revolutions that changed the fundamental character of warfare.

Technological advances have been ongoing since hand thrown spears were first augmented by an atlatl. Each time we make an advance a new countermeasure is developed which leads to a new offensive measure and as a result doctrine and tactics have to adapt to conform.

I don't think AI creates a revolution. It just replaces a human brain with an artificial one and will in time become a more efficient weapon system but that's just another incremental advancement. In some respects its just an upgrade from a tank's 90mm gun to a 120mm gun. It changes some of the methodologies of war but not its fundamental nature. It doesn't quite reach the standard of the destructive power of nuclear weapons (unless of course you turn your nuclear weapons over to AI). AI systems can and will be countered and doctrine will be adopted to both counter it and employ it.

The one change that we do have is that we will need to upgrade our doctrine and our weapon systems more quickly then ever before. The low cost and proliferation of drone based weapons dictate that virtually every fighting vehicle or major installation, including those in the homeland will need defensive countermeasures. Just think of how easy it would be to import a few dozen shipping containers with the components for assembling expedient loitering munitions for sleeper agents in the homeland. Saboteurs are an old tactic but with modern capabilities.

🍻

Purpose?

The AWACS E767 I proposed has a 320km+ 360 coverage - which is why I went with that than additional fixed locations -

Or this is GBAD related?
And you plan on shooting down incoming around (and over) population centers?

I'm not trying to be a jerk (but I am usually very successful at it) I am just curious.

Stay tuned. More to follow. 😁

Some excellent ideas here. If I may add some random thoughts:

*I gotta say, as sad as this scenario is, at least this gov't has a cohesive national security strategy and is bold enough to actually enact it!!

Moving on...

A gov't people first policy for the new CF:
  • a boom in military housing construction, quality, and infrastructure for military members and their families.
  • world-leading childcare and medical benefits package (offloaded to a giant veterans affairs pension board fund), higher than industry competitive wages and bonus structure (complete with heavy capital gains taxes).
  • a huge infantry individual equipment program, everyone looks like they're SOF with the most ergonomic/cutting edge kit.
  • removal of the entire military justice system with full civilian integration, hiring of former CF to be used frequently as expert witnesses for military context (military-civilian translators so to speak).
  • wokes dislike of 'drones' and another "cherno-bull", so I won't cheat like others and get SSNs and RPAS...

As CDS/scenario-god:

Recommendations to the gov't divestment/transition team:

MIlitarize the CCG. Who cares if the CCG like it or not, it protects them from being flayed like the CF to instead become a militarized environmental protection agency.

Make it possible to have the territories become provinces, and make it so they have less people per new riding so the north is heard in HoC.

Make all provinces maintain various CF depots to house the retired ghost fleets of equipment. Make them responsible for supporting and maintaining a large supply of leftover LOG, general support vehicles, LAVs, and C-130s for firefighting provinces. More money for the provinces from the old CF budget to squeeze them. Makes it so depots are spread out through all provinces and maintained by them to make available for natural disasters. Make provinces accountable for the maintenance of X number of vehicles/aircraft in different readiness cycles. A smart CDS will make it so the provinces have to work together to maintain the supply chain but sneakily keeps stocks safe for the next gov't to rebuild the CF. It also would make the provinces want to keep their fleets in better and newer condition. Perhaps force a civilian standard for more and more CF vehicles in order to keep the fleet fresh, safer and on a predictable replacement cycle.

RCMP is disbanded as it was a symbol of colonial power and indigenous subjugation. Former CF and RCMP are paid exorbitant severance packages and are rehired into a beefy CCG or the new arctic provincial police force. All provinces have their own police services. It's a sneaky way to divest of another expensive federal budget item in the guise of additional provincial independence.

Create a new Canadian Criminal Investigation Service (CCIS) (I know it already exists). Make it the new Canadian FBI, complete with a reborn SERT modelled/copied from the FBI's HRT. CCIS absorbs the evil CSIS and CSE into a mega-agency that will be a low-key power booster for the woke gov't. This agency would probably be used in a bloody Canadian version of the conflict in Northern Ireland. A violent woke gov't response to the 'New-FLQ' and 'Wildflower Rebellion'.

• CCG is militarized as it is woker to have a stronger environmental policy, with a heavier arctic presence.
  • Better infrastructure in the north to support cost of living programs enacted by woker gov't
  • Offload all AOPS to the CCG, armed with 57MM and a deployable CANSOF "SBS" team
  • Offload all SAR work and NASP to CCG too
  • To support Bell in QC, buy a large orphan fleet of Bell SAR products (SAR V-22s for everyone!)

CA is now all SOF
- org copied from others.

RCAF
  • A small fleet of ~16 CP-8 Poseidons for ASW
  • A larger MRTT strategic capability for NEO, cheap unarmed passive support to friendly expeditionary forces.
  • Mobility is 1st, getting our limited numbers across the country ASAP would be the key. Retaining C-17s for dropping larger groups of SOF (since no CA) to the arctic would be best, or a larger C-130 or Chinook/V-22 fleet.
  • Eliminate a fighter capability, pay off the USAF for protection like Ireland and the RAF. This would embarrass gov't, and its bold but its an attention grabber for the public.
  • Desperately keep the Bell plant open for the Quebec separatists will use it against you for propaganda purposes. Buy +100 V-280s or V-22s made in Canada for a steep price. Or if gov't wants to punish Bell or QC then early retires the CH-146s and buys +40 Chinooks.

RCN
  • 4 CSCs, too costly to cancel the program outright...
  • No SSKs, a XLUUV program for ISR maaaybe
  • Kingstons are slowly retired, but are replaced with 6 Corvettes. Cheaper to patrol with P-8s...
  • 2 Protecteurs, cheap unarmed passive support to friendly expeditionary forces.

I think if I was going to redo my setup -
The Element HQ's would be eliminated outside of CSOC
Elements would have training and doctrine, development and procurement would be join.
Elements would have no larger command that the Regional Task Forces - and the Regional TF's would have OPCOM of all the Air, Ground, Rotary/UAV and Naval assets in there zone - which would have a land and naval subcommands.
That way everything is Joint - and not subject to the rationalizations of one elements beliefs.Napkin Army_Page_9.jpg

Last edited:
The one unit that I see missing from all proposals is the only one that is required by the Canadian Constitution. The Canadian Government can make all the changes it wishes but, unless the constitution is amended, there must be a Newfoundland Regiment.

As per the terms of union

Defence Establishments

• 44. Canada will provide for the maintenance in the Province of Newfoundland of appropriate reserve units of the Canadian defence forces, which will include the Newfoundland Regiment.

The one unit that I see missing from all proposals is the only one that is required by the Canadian Constitution. The Canadian Government can make all the changes it wishes but, unless the constitution is amended, there must be a Newfoundland Regiment.

Defence Establishments

• 44. Canada will provide for the maintenance in the Province of Newfoundland of appropriate reserve units of the Canadian defence forces, which will include the Newfoundland Regiment.
That's brilliant. I never knew that.

I think if I was going to redo my setup -
The Element HQ's would be eliminated outside of CSOC
I've been mulling things over as well and think that with a 15,000 establishment that there are a whole lot of more things we can't afford to keep.

For starters, CSOC. That's just another form of regimental tribalism that says everything must go but we need to keep the tan beanies as a major organization because ... special. Keep some capabilities, sure; but not as a major element.

My thought now is: okay, so we need to guard east, north and west but the south is our friend. What do we need and what can we afford to have.

We need a central overarching command/administrative structure but it needs to be really small. Basically C&C, strategic direction, procurement, sustainment, some form of personnel management.

Beyond that we need only two operational commands, one facing east the other west.

What about the north you say? Well, like everything else, the north has a western and an eastern part. For convenience sake, if you run up the Sask and Man border you reach the border between the NWT and Nunavut which extends northward through the Queen Elizabeth Islands more or less separating the Arctic Ocean in the west from the North West Passage and Baffin Bay in the East. It makes a handy dividing line between the responsibilities for a JTF East and a JTF West each of which maintains responsibility for its entire coastline and territories from the US border right up to the northern boundary. Each JTF will have all of the sea, air and land assets needed to provide for that task. (which for JTF(E) will include a small detachment called the NfldR - nothing says that it has to be a land element 😁) (As an aside its rouglly the same distance from Esquimalt and Halifax to that northern dividing line - between 5,000 to 5,500 kms)

I agree fully at this point with scrapping any and all element headquarters although there still remains a need for a training structure which is capable of producing trained soldiers, sailors, aircrew and their various equipment maintainers and the developers of doctrine for how these two JTFs operate.

So three HQs - a CFHQ (including a form of SJS and CJOC), and a JTF(E) HQ and a JTF(W) HQ. Everything needed to support both JTFs remains directly under CFHQ. That would include a common procurement and sustainment and individual training system as well as certain units that face in all directions (which could include cyber, intel, a small reserve (not the forbidden reserve force but a strategic reserve which could include a small SOF component)).

Everything else needed to guard and fight on the coasts and in depth goes into the respective JTF which, incidentally, do not need to be symmetrical but should be organized to meet their specific current threat and change from time-to-time as the threat changes.

🍻

Defence Establishments

We where not allowed to use the Reserves - they had been removed from play by the DS ;)
So non issue

I was doing my brainstorming last night. Wow, did I put myself in a frustrating scenario with the task I have assigned all of us.

My version 67 is in the works. I am thinking of some sort of re-work of the Rhodesian Fire Force concept. Using many different aspects of ISTAR (people, planes, patrols, UAV, remote sensors, etc) to max out monitoring of Canada's air space, land and waters, I am thinking of an airborne regiment concept with rotating companies on QRF. Sort of a quick rig idea but with a company on 2 hour notice to move. Reduce man power in the army side but increase skills efficiency (trained to jump in, helicopter, amphibious ops in a royal marines way not storm the beach head under fire USMC way). I am thinking this idea on reduced manpower will need the core troops to be trained infantryman (high standard) but specialist skills within the section including medic (much more than TCCC), comms, demolitions, JTAC, sniper. So maybe an Airborne Regiment and CSOR had a baby concept? Not sure.

Crazy Rick's army (after feeding my cattle and sheep then 6 hours slaughtering and pulling apart other people's cows, so bear with me)

Coming to you in chapters

Starting from the ground up

Infantry Section (6)
-Corporal Section Commander (C8 + Pistol + radio) Assault Team (Eliminate the MCPL rank, gasp!)
-Private (C8 + Pistol + Stand Alone 40mm GL) Assault Team
-Private (C8 + Pistol + Medical Kit) Assault Team
-Private (C8 + Pistol + Demolitions kit) ASsault Team
-Private Senior soldier serving as 2IC (7.62mm Rifle similar to US M110A1 DMR + Comms) Covering Team
-Private (7.62mm FN Minimi, NOT a C9, their is a 7.62mm Minimi and no its not the FN MAG) Covering Team

The section will be designed to do very limited missions on its own. Can do recce patrols, most likely will function as part of the platoon.

Infantry Platoon (28) x 3 in Coy
-Lieutenant (The boss)
-Private as the boss's signaler
-Sergeant (PL 2IC)
-Private as his signaler or Corporal JTAC qualified (CPL replace MCPL rank and fill SGT jobs)
-4 x Sections

The platoon will be the work horse. at 28 in can break down into 4 x 7 man chalks for helicopters (The Bell Venom ideally when we purchase it for the CAF)

The Fire Support Platoon (36)
-LT (the Boss) + Signaler (senior PL comd who can run the Coy fire base)
-Sgt + SIgnaler (He must have a sig) will help to run a coy level FSCC
-CPL + Sig (JTAC for sure needed)
-2 x Direct Fire Sections (CPL + sig, 3 x PTE w/C6 SF role or the MMG .338, 3 x PTE w/84mm Carl Gustav M4 or Javelin depending on whether their is an tank threat
-Mortar Section (CPL + Sig, 4 x Dets (3 x PTE w/M224 60mm Mortars)
-I prefer to see 3 man dets on support weapons due to realistic ammo carrying

Coy HQ (36)
-MAJ (OC)
-Capt (2IC)
-WO (CSM)
-SGT (CQMS)
-Signals Det (4)
-Combat Medical Det (4)
-Sniper Det (4)
-2 x Infantry Sections (6) Yes 2 sections belong to coy HQ for protection, depth, Cas/PW work party and CSM man power back up.
-UAV Det (4) Operate 1-2 UAV with 5-10 KM range
-8 x Drivers Stores Men (operate light polaris or BV206 type vehicles)

The Infantry Company will be the main maneuver unit.

I am envisioning the Infantry Companies being grouped into 3 x company battalions (the BN being more of an admin or Force generator).
For a airmobile/airborne/amphibious light force that can deploy rapidly any where in the country on the buzz of the PM phone (or his own Deploy CAF app).

So these companies within the battalion will be on a Green/yellow/Red stand by readiness (4 hours notice to move, 12 hours notice to move, out of play for leave and reconstitution)

More to come

Back