• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RICK MERCER = HONUARY CDS......Just a thought

NINER-SIX

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm aware that Rick is the Hon Col for a unit that has 5000's parts...there abouts... all moving in the same direction...But what if we made him the Hon CDS......I think he's the best bit of moral boosting this Military has seen in a Long time.......Just a Thought. :salute:

As much as I like Rick Mercer I don't know if I like the idea of a professional comedian as honorary CDS. A funny man as honorary commander of an honorary joke - not the right message for the NDP to jump on  ;) but as maybe as honorary morale ombudsman, now theirs a job he might jump at!

Teflon said:
As much as I like Rick Mercer I don't know if I like the idea of a professional comedian as honorary CDS. A funny man as honorary commander of an honorary joke - not the right message for the NDP to jump on  ;) but as maybe as honorary morale ombudsman, now theirs a job he might jump at!

How about your feelings on a CBC reporter being GG?    ;D

George Wallace said:
How about your feelings on a CBC reporter being GG?    ;D

Besides that this question has nothing to do with the thread topic, I really don't care one way or the other about that, Is she the right person for the job? Don't know, maybe she would make a better honorary GG, perhaps. But hey I think Rick would make a far better honorary morale ombudsman then honorary CDS, maybe someone with his e mail address could ask him.

The thing is, we have had many Honouraries from many walks of life.  Look at Conrad Black.  Political figures; Municipal, Provincial, and Federal have been Honouraries.  Professionals have been Honoraries.  I am positive that we have had other members of the Theatrical Arts as Honouraries in the Past.  Why should he be any different? 

As for "Honurary CDS", well it is mostly a fanciful sentiment, don't you think?

George Wallace said:
The thing is, we have had many Honouraries from many walks of life.  Look at Conrad Black.  Political figures; Municipal, Provincial, and Federal have been Honouraries.  Professionals have been Honoraries.  I am positive that we have had other members of the Theatrical Arts as Honouraries in the Past.  Why should he be any different? 

As for "Honurary CDS", well it is mostly a fanciful sentiment, don't you think?

And your point to me is? Reading my post over I don't see where I expressed the opinion of him not being suitable for the sentiment of honorary anything so he souldn't be any different. As to it being a fanciful sentiment, yes, yes it is so feel free to fancifully reply again if you so wish

cheers

i read one of the posts here about Rick Mercer fighting back in a letter he wrote and I also suggested he be named H CDS, there are Generals who are HCOL now and in the past. so why not name a man that is well respected by all ranks for his humour and serious side to the forces. It is not like he would have any real power to order troops around or do official taskings but he would set a good example of the type of person the Forces needs to boost morale and to boost image across Canada in positive ways.

I always thought of the HCol as a guy you'd like to visit with in the mess, or one who could motivate the unit, or even someone who would be a public representation of the members.  On most accounts, I think Mercer would be a better choice for HCDS than any political flack.

And who wouldn't like to see Mercer and the CDS at their Men's Christmas Dinner?

DocBacon said:
And who wouldn't like to see Mercer and the CDS at their Men's Christmas Dinner?

Me for one.  The CDS yes.  Mercer, I can't stand.

That's a no vote from me. I have watched that 'comedian' needlessly slam the conservative government for the last year, editorializing way past the point of being funny. He appears to have a hate-on for Harper that defies logic and uses his stage to slat too many issues.

Well?  If he makes a living doing Political Satire, I guess he would be out of a job if he listened to you.    ;D

I agree that Mercer is overly fond of the Libs, and has often been critical if not outright hostile to the Conservatives, but he's one of the few public faces who is openly supportive of out troops.  Save for Don Cherry, the pariah of the CBC, I've seen almost no "public displays of affection" from our media personalities.  Most, especially in the news media, have been waiting with bated breath for any misstep so they can pounce on the Army.

Just look at the glee at which the reports of "prisoner abuse" are investigated by the CBC right now.  Three prisoners, one a suspected bomb maker, suffered some bruising (characterized as "light contusions" by the medical staff) during their capture and handling in the field; the CBC is pressing for a civvie investigation directed to get the poor buggers who took prisoners instead of taking the easy route.  To my mind, I'd rather listen to Mercer make fun of my political party than the rest of the CBC slag my soldiers.

Maybe Mercer gets his respect for the soldiery from the same well he gets his left-lib politics from: his Newfy heritage.

Regardless of his political leanings or whether you like his humour the question is would he make a good HCDS?

Well what are the qualifications? A deep and personal interest and unqualified support for the military, the ability to speak on behalf of the military, expressing the military view to civilians in a manner they can understand and relate to. The list goes on, and frankly I can't think of any reason Mr. Mercer would not be qualified.

For my part after his editorial in the “Standard” I’m prepare to acclaim him Prime Minister!

ExSarge said:
Well what are the qualifications?

Good question as the post doesn't exist.  Why not make him an honourary corporal?  It would certainly put him on a level playing field with those he supports and may even redefine the meaning of "strategic corporal". 

The fewer Generals we have that are clowns the better.

Trust No One said:
Good question as the post doesn't exist.  Why not make him an honourary corporal?  It would certainly put him on a level playing field with those he supports and may even redefine the meaning of "strategic corporal". 

The fewer Generals we have that are clowns the better.
Great Idea to start but I do like RM at HCDS.  They are both Newfies!  Both graduated MUNS.  Both can kick ass in their respective fields.  :army:
Personally, I like Rick Mercer and believe he supports our guys immensely. 
His money is no good at any bar I'm at.    :army:

Back