• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ricin Intercepted On The Way To The White House

Weinie said:
Or neither.

:stirpot:

That will be interesting to see. I also wonder what kind of firearm she had in her possession, was she a legal gun owner etc.

Edited to add: Remius beat me to it, hopefully these are questions people demand answers to whether we like the answers or not.

Brihard said:
Also completely irrelevant to the subject of the thread. Sorta seems like you’re trolling in order to take a partisan shot.

I thought it was a pattern.

Remius said:
Could be anyone.  What I would like to know is why she thought crossing a mostly closed border was a good idea.

Legally owned gun? Brought in from the US the heading back?

So many questions on this one.  But good on the border guys to have caught her.

Could be they were on to her and the border was an opportune time to make an arrest. Anyway, I expect a fair bit will come out over the week.

Letter seems to have gone through the Montreal distribution center.

Employees should be tested ASAP. The facility needs to be decontaminated just in case.

Police operation in Montreal is underway.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/police-operation-underway-south-of-montreal-related-to-ricin-sent-to-white-house-1.5113407

Could also be the reason why it's taking so long is because they got the wrong person?

Brihard said:
Could be they were on to her and the border was an opportune time to make an arrest. Anyway, I expect a fair bit will come out over the week.

Or if they were on to her and by having US authorities making the arrest on US territory, any unpleasantness about jurisdiction or extradition is avoided. 

Blackadder1916 said:
Or if they were on to her and by having US authorities making the arrest on US territory, any unpleasantness about jurisdiction or extradition is avoided.

Isn’t that what he meant by opportune?

More information from the US media:

The New York Times:

A Canadian national suspected of having mailed an envelope containing ricin to the White House was arrested on Sunday while trying to enter the United States from Canada, nearly a year after she had been deported from the United States for engaging in criminal activity, according to two American officials.

Customs and Border Protection agents detained the woman, who had a firearm, as she tried to cross the border into Buffalo, the officials said. Currently in the custody of border agents, she is set to be charged by the U.S. attorney’s office in Washington.

The suspect had been living in the United States last year and was arrested in March 2019 by the Mission, Texas, police for possession of an unlicensed weapon, resisting arrest and carrying a fake driver’s license, according to a senior intelligence official.

While in the Hidalgo County Jail in Edinburg, Texas, authorities discovered that she had overstayed her six-month visa and had violated the terms of her passport by committing a crime while in the United States, and she was deported back to Canada, the official said.
Law enforcement officials said this weekend that the letters could have been sent from Canada, but that it was not clear when they were sent. The mail was intercepted last week, before it reached its destination.

No links to any international terrorist groups have been found, according to two law enforcement officials.

CBS news:

A woman suspected of sending an envelope containing the poison ricin, which was addressed to the White House, has been arrested at the New York-Canada border. The woman is also suspected of sending similar poisoned envelopes to law enforcement agencies in Texas, officials said Monday.

Envelopes containing ricin were also mailed to law enforcement agencies in the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas, according to another law enforcement official. The official did not say which agencies were sent the envelopes but said they are believed to have been mailed by the same person who sent one to the White House.

The officials were not authorized to discuss the ongoing investigation publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

One of the envelopes was sent to the police in Mission, Texas, said Investigator Art Flores, a spokesman for the border community's police department. He said no one was hurt and that the envelope was in law enforcement's custody. He declined to comment further.

Brihard said:
I’m curious to find out whether the suspect is Canadian, American or both.

A woman with the same name and appearance as the Texas mug shots, living in St.-Hubert and with similar biodata has social media presence suggesting she is a self-employed technology worker originally from France who arrived in Canada around 2008.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/montreal-woman-accused-of-sending-poisonous-letter-to-donald-trump-says-she-sent-nine-in-total-to-various-targets-police/ar-BB19h9jJ?ocid=msedgntp

PuckChaser said:
Definitely seems like a poor man's terror weapon, from the Wikipedia list a lot of Ricin's usage isn't even political. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_involving_ricin Amateur hour is probably exactly right.

Georgi Markov was assassinated in London, England in September 1978 by an assassin wielding a ricin tipped umbrella. It was suspected the Bulgarian Secret Service was behind it, with assistance from the Kinda Good Boys organization.

RCMP and the FBI/postal inspection service working together foil  terrorism.Kudos to all involved.

PuckChaser said:
They use Novichok now...

If 'they' do then it has to be to send a message to any spy that is turned. The latest incident doesn't have that purpose and would leave one wondering why 'they' would leave such an obvious trail?

"I did it and there ain't nothing you can do about it."

Back