• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Revision Desert Locust Goggles

The Revision Desert Locust Ballistic Goggles

• Love them

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Hate them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I prefer the glasses

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

SevenSixTwo

Inactive
Reaction score
What do you guys think about the Desert Locust goggles from Revision? They are made from the same company that produces the ballistic glasses that the CF has as standard issue.

I personally, love them and I prefer goggles to glasses. The amount you can see is fantastic (considering your wearing goggles), everything is extremely clear and I have not been able to fog the goggles at all despite doing PT for an hour with them on and sweating like a beast.

My favourite part is that they are extremely comfortable and fit very well around helmets.

My only complaint is that they are so comfortable you almost feel "unsafe" with them on even though I know that isn't the case since the Desert Locust goggles are actually made to a higher protection standard than the Revision firefly glasses.

9.5/10

I just scored a set from Phill on this site. Havn't tried them yet, but they do look amazing. Well design set, just waiting to use them in Op. Honestly I couldn't give them a score yet, but overall I'm happy with them.

They're good goggles, I bought mine a few years ago, great for working in vehicles(driving,air sentry, etc) and when on a HLZ. For everything else I prefer glasses.  I've used them on a few courses, FTXs and a deployment.  They are also an issued item overseas, atleast they were on my roto, lot of us bought our own goggles prior to deployment than found out we bought an issued item..

I was issued a pair after I bought a pair of ESS Advancer V12s.  I found the Revision's offered better visibility and slightly better comfort but the V12's seemed better at keeping the dust out and were less prone to fogging up.  Also, using googles for anything but in a mounted role (ie. veh commander, air sentry) just didn't work for me and I switched to glasses.

I have a pair of the goggles, purchased last year and have introduced them to moderate tempo use here in Canada.  I can offer some feedback:

Protection:
  • They cover a larger amount of the face than the BEW while offering comparable ballistic protection.

Visibility:
  • They offer nearly unobstructed full range of visibility
  • They are prone to fogging. However, I do not recommend anti-fogging agents as they will create an unholy soup when mixed with dust;
  • That fit is compromised by wearing them over a helmet as air and dust will sneak in and wearing them beneath the helmet reduced the ability to pull them off the face for short or long periods; and
  • The absence of a foam face lining thinger takes a bit to get accustomed to, but I have seen that foam fall out from similar pairs of goggles under near identical use.

Comfort:
  • They offer a snug fit close to the face without creating any weird pressure points;
  • They can be worn for prolonged periods; and
  • They have a large surface area, keeping more of the face covered.  This can be either a pro or a con, depending on the weather.

Durability:
  • They hold up well under normal army misuse and neglect.  No foam means nothing to partially or completely fall off, causing them to become uncomfortable or unservicable, or make you like a retard; and
  • Their lenses are quite scratch resistant during wear but do require special consideration1  when not in use.

Convenience:
  • Their lenses are swapped out quickly and easily, and can be done in complete darkness while navigating a coyote across country2; and
  • They are compatible with Revision's Prescription Insert, which is also usable with our issued BEW's, and to my understanding, our C4 Gas mask3.

1. Nothing more than you'd given any other eyewear.  Especially any eyewear over $100.
2. Unless you're the driver.
3. I don't wear glasses so don't profess expertise on this.
4. Am I the only person not seeing bullets on this list?

I ordered a pair of WileyX goggles and I found that not only were they uncomfortable, they didn't fit my face very well and did not fit underneath of helmet that great. Every time a chopper would come in I'd wind up getting dust in my eyes. The Desert Locust goggles were great. Very comfortable and fit well, I would certainly buy them if I had to.

I used the smaller Bullet Ant (sort of half-way between the BEW and the Desert Locust) and I was happy with them. Great at keeping dust on, and they protect the eyes a little bit better than the BEWs as they seal to the face. I only had minor fogging and that was usually on cold, clear winter mornings and it was remedied with the issued anti-fog wipe. The Rx carrier from the ballistics also fit these.

I'm just wondering how do some people keep their goggles on the helmets? I'm worry to lose mine while they are on my helmet. Any pointers?

Regards,
TN2IC

There's two slits in the back of the helmet cover to run the headband of a pair of the old SWDG goggles through.

Might work for whatever you have.

a Sig Op said:
There's two slits in the back of the helmet cover to run the headband of a pair of the old SWDG goggles through.

Might work for whatever you have.

More like belt loops then slits.

The goggle straps can be run through them, but because of the angle the goggles tend to rise up and flop around instead of staying tight against the helmet; my experience doing it that way at least.  Other ways that I've done it is put a d-ring/carabiner or paracord loop on one of those belt loop things on the helmet cover and run the goggle strap through that.  Or if you have the NVG helmet mount, just put the back 2 straps of the helmet mount over your goggle straps. 

I just looked at my helmet, the slits are in the front and the loops are in the back. My bad.

Either way, that's what they're there for, whether they work or not, it's an entirely different matter, worth trying.

I simply put my helmet band over the strap of the gogles. I found with the Bullet Ants the NVG mount (when NVGS weren't on it) held the goggles in place nicely.

I've never had a problem retaining my googles on my helmet.  especially enough of an issue to make them "permanently" mounted by looping through the helmet cover.

The only time I wear googles is in the vehicle.  When I leave the vehicle I don`t want my googles with me 99% of the time so I stow them in the turret.

I just got these goggles today in the mail and tried them on. I emeadiatly realized that they were really uncomfortable and gave me a headache.
Any sugestions

I used a pair for trucking around KAF in the gaiters and thought they were pretty good. Very light weight, the tinted lenses provided good protection without being too dark (if that makes sense), and they vented well. One of the biggest complaints I heard about them was from the some of the air gunner types who said they were too big to be worn with the helmet.  The Bullet Ant seemed very popular with that crowd because of it's lower profile and the fact it was more flexible and less like to snap in half at the bridge then the ESS model. And both revision models certainly looked sharper then their counterparts (Goggle Sun, Wind, Sand and the ESS type).

Back