• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Return of the Cl-215 and 415

No, the RCAF does not need a water bomber Sqn.

Various levels of government actually need to do their jobs and properly fund things like civil defence/disaster prevention and response and quit running to the CAF every time something bad happens…

Very astute.

Perhaps each province should fund/operate a new fleet of 3 or 4 to be shared trans-Canada as required. With the exception of PEI that probably doesn't have the requirement you would end up with a shared fleet of between 30 and 40 a/c. Although there would be times when more than one province would have a severe fire situation it isn't likely that all would need their a/c at the same time. Each has its own aviation department already so the infrastructure is in place. And the potential is there to lease at least some of them out to the southern hemisphere during the off-season.

The provinces already do have significant fleets and do share when possible. The question - is a larger pool of aircraft across the provinces worth the additional cost for whatever darker black swan events/fires might come, worth it? And who assesses the ‘worth’? Politicians? Public
Servants? Public (via survey? Referendum?)

Recently it was announced that the CL-215 and 415 water bombers will be going back into production at a new facility in Calgary.

Note that Viking Air has now been placed under DeHavilland Canada along with former holding company Longview Aviation:

Since new DHC 515 water bombers are to be made at (former) Viking Air's Calgary plant that effectively means Dash 8-400 is dead. Bombardier is closing Downsview plant (sold it) where the turbo is made and De Havilland has no other place to make it. Dying anyway, few sales for several years, ATR dominating market, and now Embraer looks like making new turbo airliner.

Note gov't help for the new water bombers:
European customers have signed letters of intent to purchase the first 22 aircraft pending the positive outcome of government-to-government negotiations through the Government of Canada's contracting agency, the Canadian Commercial Corporation (CCC). De Havilland Canada expects first deliveries of the DHC-515 by the middle of the decade, with deliveries of aircraft 23 and beyond to begin at the end of the decade, providing other customers the opportunity to renew existing fleets or proceed with new acquisition opportunities at that time...

Mark
Ottawa

Note that Viking Air has now been placed under DeHavilland Canada along with former holding company Longview Aviation:
Not quite. Longview remains the parent company that owns DeHavilland, not the other way around.

were they not intending to set up a mfg. facility in YYB at one time to produce the CL415? And did they obtain property there to do so
When Bombardier owned the type they had a leased facility in North Bay to do final finishing, which closed when they shut down the line in 2015.

I always thought it was a tad short-sighted of them to shut it down and sell the certification. I guess the order book had gone stale but with climate change it seems natural that interest would renew. I guess BBD was in the 'sell the furniture' mood.

According to Wiki, Canadian provinces own about 40 215s/215Ts and 415s and share them about. I understand Quebec has a standing lease agreement with (I think) LA County fire for one or two machines each season.

As far as I know, BBD is building a new facility at Pearson to build whatever it is they still build.

The provinces already do have significant fleets and do share when possible. The question - is a larger pool of aircraft across the provinces worth the additional cost for whatever darker black swan events/fires might come, worth it? And who assesses the ‘worth’? Politicians? Public
Servants? Public (via survey? Referendum?)
Manitoba has four sitting six minutes from my house in Winnipeg.

Back