• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Return of NDI 75: Veteran Service Card [Merged]

ref: CBC.ca

We've discussed the pros / cons of a veteran's photo ID. Here's the latest push to renew the topic:

Veteran calls for government ID cards as 'small token' of thanks
Gus Cameron will be in Ottawa to help present ID card petition to Parliament

A Halifax veteran says a little piece of plastic could go a long way in recognizing the contribution made by retired service members to Canada.

Gus Cameron, who spent 26 years in the Royal Canadian Navy, is travelling to Ottawa today to help deliver a petition that calls on the federal government to reinstate photo identification cards for veterans.

He said since the cancellation of the National Defence Identification 75 Record of Service cards in early 2016, veterans don't have any portable proof of their service.

This summer, he created an e-petition to the House of Commons that garnered 1,725 signatures. More than a quarter, 485, came from people living in Nova Scotia.

more at link...

Good on Gus.  He can be most eloquent when he wants to be, I hope he gets some traction.

It's a shame that they don't issue the NDI 75 anymore.  I recently lost my wallet, and with it, my NDI 75.  It was an official document and the only tangible proof of service.  I've requested a CF One card only because I need it for luggage fee waivers, but it won't be the same - there's no photo, and it seems to be more of a store loyalty card, than a record of service. 

I see that the government has responded to the petition; apparently VAC, DND and RCMP are working to produce a joint sort of veteran's card.  Time will tell.  Thanks to all who worked to get that petition submitted.
https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1140 

By the way, keep some cash at home always - enough for groceries & gas for a week, plus driver's licence replacement fees ($35 in Ontario), while waiting for your new bank card to come in the mail.  Some people are fond of saying that they don't carry cash anymore, but if our little pieces of plastic vanish, so does that whole electronic payment system.  Keep one or two cards at home if you can.  Also, keep your passport handy at home - it's useful for proving identity if your cards are gone.  Sharing as a public service.  :) 

I was handing in my military ID card yesterday because I retired. The commissionaire told me that the veteran ID card will start to be issued again in the next couple months because of the uproar about the CFone card.
Does anyone have anything official on this? Sure would be nice to have an official ID card and not a "points card" to show my veteran status.

emf_1978 said:
I was handing in my military ID card yesterday because I retired. The commissionaire told me that the veteran ID card will start to be issued again in the next couple months because of the uproar about the CFone card.
Does anyone have anything official on this? Sure would be nice to have an official ID card and not a "points card" to show my veteran status.

I do know that the file has been turned over to DND from veterans affairs. VAC was supposed to be working on a new vet ID but couldn't get their act together. From what I am told a vet ID is coming however do not know the timeline. I wouldn't be surprised the old NDI 75 will start to be issued again.

The timeline is twelve weeks. It's always twelve weeks. Whether it turns out being a year VAC will say twelve weeks. :rofl:

Finally, some good news.

The NDI 75 stopped being issued about two weeks before I got punted.

Chief Stoker said:
but couldn't get their act together

How hard can it be?

At this rate, a brand-new replenishment ship could probably be built for the Navy in less time than it will take to design, produce, and issue a simple I card.

Loachman said:
Finally, some good news.

The NDI 75 stopped being issued about two weeks before I got punted.

How hard can it be?

At this rate, a brand-new replenishment ship could probably be built for the Navy in less time than it will take to design, produce, and issue a simple I card.

Not very hard at all I would imagine, hell they're even issuing photo ID's in Halifax now for families to access the dockyard and base. It should be a matter of accessing the existing template.

While not specifically addressing the issue (or rather the non-issuing) of an ID card for veterans, this is an approach that the Brits are taking.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/awards-and-accreditation/content/101544
Veterans to retain military ID after leaving the forces

Personnel leaving the armed forces will now be able to keep their military ID.

The move will allow veterans to maintain their emotional connection with the armed forces, allowing them to keep the card they have carried throughout their career.

Retaining their ID card (known as the MOD Form 90) will also allow service leavers to be identified as veterans quickly and easily, aiding their transition into civilian life. Charities, Veterans UK, local authorities and GPs will also no longer have to carry out time-consuming checks to identify individual veterans.

Instead of handing back their card to be destroyed on the day of discharge, the corners will now be cut off to show the card is no longer valid. This will ensure that security is maintained at bases and other sensitive sites.

Handing back the Service ID card has regularly been identified as something that members of the armed forces would like to change.

Chief of Defence People, Lieutenant General Richard Nugee, said:

“Time and time again, I have heard from service leavers that handing back their ID card is one of the hardest things to do as they leave the forces.

“Leaving the military is an emotionally-charged moment and I hope that this change will ease some of those feelings by reinforcing the message to our veterans that they remain a valued member of the armed forces community.”

Service leaver, Col David Madden, said:

“My ID card is more than just a piece of plastic with my photo on, it signifies my service and marks my time in the armed forces. Whilst it might seem like something small, keeping my card will make a practical difference by allowing me to verify my service to my GP surgery and local authority.”

I haven't been able to copy the post from FB but the NDI 75 is making a return and a CANFORGEN will be released shortly. There will be 3 different phases. But those with an upcoming release date will have there information submitted for it and anyone that has completed basic and released honourbly will be eligible. They should be issued starting late September 2018 for those with upcoming release dates.

Teager said:
I haven't been able to copy the post from FB but the NDI 75 is making a return and a CANFORGEN will be released shortly. There will be 3 different phases. But those with an upcoming release date will have there information submitted for it and anyone that has completed basic and released honourbly will be eligible. They should be issued starting late September 2018 for those with upcoming release dates.

Those of us with NDI 75's should just hold on to them then?

MM

Teager,

Here is a copy and paste of the email posted to FB on a few veteran and clerk group pages:

The CAF is re-introducing the NDI 75 as a Veteran Service Card intended to acknowledge the service of members and to encourage an enduring affiliation with the CAF. The purpose of this email is to provide you advance notice of the imminent implementation of the NDI 75 Veteran’s Service Card (VSC) which is a replacement to the former NDI 75 Record of Service Card. Eligibility for this card shall be aligned with the VAC definition of a veteran and be issued to all CAF members who successfully completed BMQ/BMOQ & honourably released under items 3, 4 or 5. Official announcements via media sources and a CANFORGEN are expected in the very near future to provide official notice and which will provide much greater detail to CAF members and the public. This initiative is being coordinated through CMPC and VCDS DGDS.

Essentially, Release Staff shall send an email to NDIS with basic information, NDIS will produce the card and send it to the Release Staff for presentation during the final release interview in exchange for the NDI 20/10. The attached SOP provides procedural detail on how to order the NDI 75 VSC.

The rollout of the NDI 75 VSC will be conducted in the stages defined below, where the immediate concern will be with Stage 1. The intent is to minimize the demands for your Sections.

• Stage 1: CAF member releasing with a final release date, or final release interview, of 4 September 2018 onwards – Release Sections & Reserve Units. If a member’s release date is 31 August 2018 or prior, they shall be included in Stage 2. Release staff are to follow the attached SOP;

• Stage 2: CAF members who released between 01 February 2016 and 03 September 2018 – Central process will be completed via HRMS Data Extract and members will apply via an online portal; and

• Stage 3: Any former CAF member released prior to 01 February 2016 who did not receive an NDI 75 due to the previous qualifying thresholds. These varied over the years where the most recent NDI 75 was 10 years of service – Central process which will require a team enabled to verify data in PERMIS, at LAC or with VAC.

The first NDI 75s are to be issued as of 04 September 2018. Your immediate assistance is required as card production and mailing can take up to 3 weeks; staff are to immediately commence sending NDI 75 VSC requests IAW with the attached SOP to ensure NDIS has sufficient time to produce and distribute the cards to your sections.

Repeat only for complete clarity: NDI 75 VSC requests are to be sent immediately for personnel with a final release date or having their final release interview on or after 04 September 2018 onwards.

Should you receive inquiries from Veterans who are not covered in Stage 1, please inform them that information about these Stages will be promulgated by DND/CAF once procedures have been more fully developed. At which point the DND/CAF will promulgate direction and resource access to all former CAF members through either Stage 2 or Stage 3. A general inquiry NDI 75 telephone line is to be created for Stages 2 and 3 and will be disseminated as soon as available. Lastly, amendments to MHRRP, CFAO 15-2, CANFORGEN and various form updates shall be completed in due course.

Nothing mentions veterans who currently hold the previous NDI 75 - Record of Service Card. I would think by the time phase 3 rolls out, an answer for that question, and how veterans can apply for replacement cards will be available.

kratz said:
Nothing mentions veterans who currently hold the previous NDI 75 - Record of Service Card. I would think by the time phase 3 rolls out, an answer for that question, and how veterans can apply for replacement cards will be available.

Referred to indirectly by exclusion in Ph.3:

• Stage 3: Any former CAF member released prior to 01 February 2016 who did not receive an NDI 75 due to the previous qualifying thresholds.

So if you did receive an NDI 75, you’re not part of Ph.3 (or 2 or 1, for that matter)

Regards
G2G

https://www.skiesmag.com/press-releases/national-defence-and-veterans-affairs-canada-introduce-the-new-veterans-service-card/

Here is the official announcement.

So someone who only completes BMQ gets the same card as someone who has done multiple tours and maybe 25+ years? I’ll be throwing mine in the trash.

Same as VAC.  A little bit of consistency.  If it offends you that much I assume you will never apply for VAC benefits, either.

Quirky said:
So someone who only completes BMQ gets the same card as someone who has done multiple tours and maybe 25+ years? I’ll be throwing mine in the trash.

That’s a pretty pathetic attitude.

dapaterson said:
Same as VAC.  A little bit of consistency.  If it offends you that much I assume you will never apply for VAC benefits, either.

Benefits and this card are not related. Why do I need a card that validates my service, it’ll just sit in a desk drawer somewhere next to my BC care card that I haven’t needed in 15 years. Unless this card will give me the same perks like discounts to hotels etc or access to security screening lines in airports, it seems pointless.

Do ex RCMP, EMS or hospital staff get service cards like this when they retire?

[quote author=Quirky]

So someone who only completes BMQ gets the same card as someone who has done multiple tours and maybe 25+ years? I’ll be throwing mine in the trash.[/QUOTE]

[quote author=Quirky]
Benefits and this card are not related. Why do I need a card that validates my service, it’ll just sit in a desk drawer somewhere next to my BC care card that I haven’t needed in 15 years. Unless this card will give me the same perks like discounts to hotels etc or access to security screening lines in airports, it seems pointless.
[/quote]

Dude, if you don't want one of the cards don't get one.

Some people like stuff like this as memorabilia of their service, the same with coins and patches and 'I love me' wall stuff.  Other people don't care.

There are people who have done multiple hard tours and got our after 7 years who "did" alot more than some people with 25 years in. It's not a dick measuring contest unless you make it one.

Plus the card indicates how long people served which is a good way to combat bullshiters.

If I release and this card gets me a 10% or 20% discount as a veteran, especially on large purchases, then that's cash in my pocket.

If an old man or woman wants to carry around this dinky card as some kind of reminder or connection to their service then wheres the harm.

Tim Horton employees got the same campaign star that soldiers in Afghanistan got, did you thrown your medal away?

Sorry but I'm seeing a lot of outrage about this online and can't help thinking who cares.

Back