• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Return of NDI 75: Veteran Service Card [Merged]

RocketRichard said:
From the office of Minister of Veterans Affairs Canada:

"...the Government of Canada is committed to creating an official photo identification card that would be accessible to all Canadian Veterans and releasing Canadian Armed Forces members. Veterans Affairs Canada and the Department of National Defence are working closely together to develop options."

I can't find that reference anywhere.  I think you'll find that plan has been taken over by events.

I'm not sure what everyone is up in arms about.  The NDI 75 was never supposed to serve as ID (it even says so right on the card), and if the Veteran's CFOne card states that the person is a veteran (and they present accompanying photo ID), then what's missing?  You can still get discounts at any place that gave discounts upon presentation of the NDI 75.

It's cheap, not well thought out and not a very well hidden attempt to get more people visiting the CANEX site and offers. It's a friggin' points card, no matter how they try spin it. It does not replace a Service card (ND 75) no matter what it says on it. The government is giving billions of dollars to foreign aid and crackhead climate change pundits but can't afford to give people that have put their lives on the line for their country a proper card reflecting their service. I have both cards, travel to the States a lot and use the military discount. I have shown the CFOne card to a number of vendors and they all laugh and ask if that's all our government can do for Veterans. It's embarrassing to answer yes.

recceguy said:
I have shown the CFOne card to a number of vendors and they all laugh and ask if that's all our government can do for Veterans. It's embarrassing to answer yes.
QFFT

Occam said:
I can't find that reference anywhere.  I think you'll find that plan has been taken over by events.

I'm not sure what everyone is up in arms about.  The NDI 75 was never supposed to serve as ID (it even says so right on the card), and if the Veteran's CFOne card states that the person is a veteran (and they present accompanying photo ID), then what's missing?  You can still get discounts at any place that gave discounts upon presentation of the NDI 75.

Just received the email today.

To all
As i am going thru the retirement process (28 years), they tell me they will destroy my id card then use the CF 1 card as my ID.. WTF.. Who thought this up.. When i go to bases in the U.S. With my family on Vacation i have to flash a shopping card.. What are they thinking..This is truly embarrassing..

I also just retired.  I would never have expected that I keep the old ID.  It says "Canadian Forces Identification Card" on the front and "Regular Force" on the back... neither are true any more.

They gave me a temporary Record Of Service card until my permanent one arrived in the mail.  It looks much like the ID except it says "Record of Service Card" on the front and "Served 1989 - 2015 and was honourable released from the Regular Force"  That is true. So it is what I should have.  Not an active force ID!

However, the entire CF One card happened later.  I understand it may replace both the Reg ID and the Record Of Service.  If that is the case it is what you should have.  Others can comment (and have) on the entire CF One idea...

Of course, there is the whole issue of using American funded resources, and the clear sense of entitlement you feel you have to them, when not attached to the US Military...

Baz said:
I also just retired.  I would never have expected that I keep the old ID.  It says "Canadian Forces Identification Card" on the front and "Regular Force" on the back... neither are true any more.

They gave me a temporary Record Of Service card until my permanent one arrived in the mail.  It looks much like the ID except it says "Record of Service Card" on the front and "Served 1989 - 2015 and was honourable released from the Regular Force"  That is true. So it is what I should have.  Not an active force ID!

However, the entire CF One card happened later.  I understand it may replace both the Reg ID and the Record Of Service.  If that is the case it is what you should have.  Others can comment (and have) on the entire CF One idea...

Of course, there is the whole issue of using American funded resources, and the clear sense of entitlement you feel you have to them, when not attached to the US Military...

Many who have retired and are retiring feel its a personal affront that a professional looking photo government produced card identifying the former member as one with honorable service has been replaced with akin to a cheap looking department store card with no picture. Its not a identification card per se, however it does identify the member as a former service member. You obviously don't care but to many it means a lot.

No, that is not what I said... I said that I got an appropriate ID but I don't know the details of the CF One card.

It is not appropriate that you would think you get to keep your original ID, or to justify it so that you can get entitlements that are paid for by the US.

But based on  what you say, which I assume is correct, then the CF One card is an affront.

The CF One card will not be replacing ID for serving members.  In fact, the cessation of the NDI 75 is meant to facilitate the issuing of ID to serving members.

You mean like a Veteran's ID being issued by a department responsible for veterans? What a crazy idea.

Baz said:
No, that is not what I said... I said that I got an appropriate ID but I don't know the details of the CF One card.

It is not appropriate that you would think you get to keep your original ID, or to justify it so that you can get entitlements that are paid for by the US.

But based on  what you say, which I assume is correct, then the CF One card is an affront.

Got ya, its too bad they had to go that way.

gifrank said:
To all
As i am going thru the retirement process (28 years), they tell me they will destroy my id card then use the CF 1 card as my ID.. WTF.. Who thought this up.. When i go to bases in the U.S. With my family on Vacation i have to flash a shopping card.. What are they thinking..This is truly embarrassing..

What makes you think you will have any right of access to US military facilities once retired, even with an NDI 75?  Or for that matter, any right of access (other than by courtesy) while still serving, unless you are there on duty.

Blackadder1916 said:
What makes you think you will have any right of access to US military facilities once retired, even with an NDI 75?  Or for that matter, any right of access (other than by courtesy) while still serving, unless you are there on duty.

Retired Canadian military can access some US facilities and discounts in the US and I know some have done so. I have also done so while serving on vacation.

Chief Stoker said:
Retired Canadian military can access some US facilities and discounts in the US and I know some have done so. I have also done so while serving on vacation.

Well, lucky for them.  It's been several years since I tried, but the last attempt I made to enter a US base (with controlled access) with my NDI 75 was denied.  There was a process to get a visitors pass, but the processing was estimated at 3 to 7 days.  As for having privileges at AAFES, foreign military retirees are not on their list of authorized patrons.

I used the CF One card yesterday at a local printer to get my veteran's discount. It was the first one they had seen but once I showed them the "veteran" annotation, there was no problem getting the discount. I'm still keeping my old NDI 75 though. Sometimes you just need an "additional" government-issued photo ID, and this has always worked for me.

Blackadder1916 said:
Well, lucky for them.  It's been several years since I tried, but the last attempt I made to enter a US base (with controlled access) with my NDI 75 was denied.  There was a process to get a visitors pass, but the processing was estimated at 3 to 7 days.  As for having privileges at AAFES, foreign military retirees are not on their list of authorized patrons.

The only real experience I personally had is staying at a Navy Lodge while on vacation, accessing their NEX at Norfolk and buying discounted tickets at the MWR. The USO will assist serving and retired Canadian military as well. Perhaps its hit or miss, but I haven't had a bad experience or any of the retired friends I have. I guess it boils down to take your chances.

Blackadder1916 said:

Most US Bases won't accept even an NDI 20 (but in reverse we do accept their CAC).  Officially, a VCR must be on file with the base for you to do this... 

It doesn't help that the US has the CAC and we are still rocking NDI 20s that can be forged (whatever happened to combining the PKI into the NDI 20... would make an effective Canadian-ized CAC).

any one who had less than 10 years of service and does not qualify for a veterans ID card. (NDI 75 or CAF 75 Record of Service ID Card) .
You can apply for a CF1 card,you can apply for this card if you successfully completed basic training and were honourably discharged.Its called a CF1 card and along with a picture id from your wallet,ie driver license. this card can get you any military discount, you have to register after you get the card.
here's the web site. https://www.cfmws.com/en/OurServices/CFOne/Pages/default.aspx.
I have a veterans card with 23 yrs of military, but my brother only had 3 yrs. due to medical reasons, so he applied for this card and got it.

Paul (or anybody else): Can you get both? I have my 75,  but should I then also get this CFOne to cover all places that provide military discounts?

Back