https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/benefits-military/transition/service-card.html?utm_campaign=not-applicable&utm_medium=vanity-url&utm_source=canada-ca_veterans-service-card&fbclid=IwAR3lWc8ttSLpzOYO2s1XUIl75sLjayLaYuhmXnGEDd6WQkR7XWy7M6Vt-SY (FAQ's at Link)
Recently released CAF members can now request the new Veteran’s Service Card - 3 Dec 18
Veterans released between February 2016 and September 2018 can now request their Veteran’s Service Card, with the downloadable, mail-in application form available below. The form lists the information you will need to provide for verification of previous military service. The use of a mail-in application form is necessary to conform to federal privacy and security considerations.
The new Veteran’s Service Card (VSC) helps you stay connected to military and veteran support programs during your transition from military to civilian life. This card also recognizes your previous service as a Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) member.
It is estimated that there are 26,000 veterans who are now eligible to apply for their Veteran’s Service Card. Another estimated 450,000, who have honourably released prior to February 2016, will be able to apply for their Veteran’s Service Card during the summer of 2019. This staged approach allows the Department of National Defence and Veterans Affairs Canada to ensure that the necessary resources are in place to verify, produce, and distribute the Veteran’s Service Cards.
Who is eligible
You are eligible to receive a Veteran’s Service Card if you have:
- completed basic training and
- been honourably released from the CAF
As of September 2018, all eligible members automatically receive a Veteran’s Service Card as they release from the CAF, and will receive their card during their final release interview.
Veterans released before February 2016 will be able to request their Veteran’s Service Card during the summer of 2019.
Instructions for Veteran’s Service Card applications*
1. Download the Veteran’s Service Card Application Form. https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/dnd-mdn/documents/military-benefits/20181203-vsc-application-form-dnd-9036-e.pdf The application form can be filled out electronically or handwritten. For handwritten submissions, please ensure you print in clear block letters.
2. Print off the application form. It is recommended you keep a copy of your application for your own records.
3. Veterans who, while serving, were issued either the National Defence Identification (NDI) 20 Canadian Forces Permanent ID card, or NDI 21 Civilian ID card only need to submit a completed application form. Members who were not issued either of these two ID cards, or do not know whether they were issued any of these ID cards, must also include the following with their application form:
1) a passport-like quality photo, AND
2) proof of identity in the form of a photocopy of a valid Government issued photo identification.
4. Mail the application form and enclosures (if applicable) to the following address:
Director General Defence Security
National Defence Identification Service
Veteran’s Service Card
National Defence Headquarters
MGen George R. Pearkes Building
101 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, ON K1A 0K2
* Please note that only applications from veterans released between February 2016 and September 2018 will be accepted for processing at this time.
For more information or for assistance, contact VSCQuestions.EnquetesCSAC@forces.gc.ca.