• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retro Pay & Allow 1Apr 2014 - 1Apr 2017

Is that someone's hill to die on? Don't do it, get charged, elect courts martial and roll the dice. :shrug: I'll spend the 5 minutes fire and forgetting one.

PuckChaser said:
Those are terrible examples. The order to must wear gloves with toque is a local amplification of the dress regs, and a lawful order. Don't like it? Make it to brigade RSM and change the rule. Same thing. Ordering you to fill out a leave pass may not be required by the leave policy, but it's your CO's unit, and if s/he want to track people leaving the area on a weekend with a leave pass, that's a lawful order as well. It grinds your gears that you have to take 5 minutes to sign/submit a leave pass? You must be torqued 24/7 with all the other paperwork we have to do in the CAF...
That's not the point. The point is two fold. First don't say it is the rules when it isn't. Because if you try to charge me with AWOL when I am on weekend leave,  I'll win. Know the rules you are supposed to enforce. Second,  if you want to implement a local amplification,  by all means do so. But put in the effort to put it in writing. When your local dress instructions are cut and pasted out of the dress regs you should a) read and understand them and/or b) actually change them to reflect what you want. If the chief says put gloves on with that toque I put gloves on. When I leave the next day, I dress IAW with the dress regs. If a particularly anal chief decides to make an example out of me,  I will show up at the trail with copies of the regs,  both national and local,  and I'll win. Some of us actually read regulations and orders.

Sorry for the thread drift. If anyone wants to continue this discussion they can pm me or we can start a new thread.

CONTROL DIRECTION
8. Control is exercised by local commanders
who may standardize the dress of subordinates on
any occasion, including the wear of accoutrements
and alternative or optional items, subject to overall
command direction. See also Chapter 2, Section 1,
paragraph 44.

e. Tuque. An environmental tuque may be
worn as an alternative winter headdress
with service dress (No. 3 orders), with
topcoats and parkas during winter dress
periods.

FIELD COMBAT CLOTHING
7. There are no separate dress orders since
combat clothing is designed to be adjusted for
individual comfort and tasks. However, commanders
may specify consistency if uniformity of appearance
is important on some occasions.

These are all excerpts from CFP265.

You'd also get off an AWOL charge for the leave pass thing as you were not absent without leave, as the leave policy says you don't need it. A smarter RSM would likely recommend Disobedience of a lawful command, if he didn't just give you extras knowing you were deliberately challenging the rules. Its all how the charge is written.

Enough about the bloody dress regs already, take it to PM as offered and suggested.  Use the chat and fight there if you like...

question.

Is a leave pass required to get a pay raise and/or back pay ? Also, can a CAF member get a pay raise when a civilian who works for them is on sick leave ?

not sure of any other way to get this topic back on track  :p

Haaa the 90s. Went from PVT to MCPL then left for officer inf phase training the week after. [:D [:D

NavyShooter said:
At this point, with the deficit spending we're starting to see, I'll be delighted if we keep getting our annual incentive increases and don't get the pay freeze that we saw in the 90's, where the only pay-raise you got was for a rank-change.  (Note, this was where the 'advance promotion' for LS/Cpls started, it was the only way to us up to a reasonable living wage.  My pay was frozen at $1625/mo as a OS IPC1 for almost 3 years.  My next pay-raise was to LS Spec 1 IPC0 at just about 3600 a month. 

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that there will be no pay-raise this year, and next year there will be a pay-freeze for all Federal Gov't employees.  If there isn't, then I'll be happy and enjoy my annual IPC increase.  I'm not holding my breath, nor writing any cheques based on a possible pay raise.

NS

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
PSAC is still negotiating their contract, as they are the largest of the public service unions our rates won't change until after theirs is finalized. They're asking for 3% a year for the 3 years of the contract (which would include 2 years retroactive since 2014). There's many other issues they're negotiating on (sick leave being the main one) which is why it's been a slow process.

Best case scenario they make some sort of concession on sick leave and get a bigger pay raise!

Has there been any action on this recently?  I know that these things take time, and bureaucracy works at a super-fast pace ( ::) ), but if anyone has heard anything lately, would you mind sharing with the class?

Thanks.

Rev

I wouldn't expect who actually knows anything to say anything. It is being pretty tight lipped where I work.

Likewise I wouldnt expect anything to happen until after Canada Post settles their strike. Especially because the biggest issue is the pension..

In other good news, your SISIP LTD premium just went up 20%a month. Only works out to a couple dollar increase, but the nickel and diming continues.

Anyone have SA on why Canada Post would be a benchmark (see runnormal's comment) for such negotiations?

My understanding was CAF pay was tied to or relative to, to some extent, the contracts negotiated with the Federal Public Service, while Canada Post is a Crown corporation.

blackberet17 said:
Anyone have SA on why Canada Post would be a benchmark (see runnormal's comment) for such negotiations?

My understanding was CAF pay was tied to or relative to, to some extent, the contracts negotiated with the Federal Public Service, while Canada Post is a Crown corporation.
I don't have any inside info but my guess is that they are waiting to see what Canada post gets.

Tcm621 said:
I don't have any inside info but my guess is that they are waiting to see what Canada post gets.

I doubt it.  Negotiations are between the Corporation and the employees.  ASFAIK Canada Post is not subject to the PSA nor does it fall under treasury board mandate.  Canada Post has a different compensation and benefits package (including a revised sick leave policy that was put in place a few years ago).

CRA employees were close to a deal (watch them instead) but they turned it down and are back at it.

PSAC spent a week in negotiations at the end of June with little result and should be back at it sometime in Sept. 

George Wallace said:
Poking a hornets nest; eh?

Well, it is a tonque in cheek at the reality;  the Liberals promised all kinds of things and have to pay for them somehow.  The CAF is a non-unionized workforce.  We don't get to strike, etc. 

I still remember, and I'm sure you do, the 'pay freeze' days that weren't, in reality, all that long ago...

Eye In The Sky said:
Well, it is a tonque in cheek at the reality;  the Liberals promised all kinds of things and have to pay for them somehow.  The CAF is a non-unionized workforce.  We don't get to strike, etc. 

I still remember, and I'm sure you do, the 'pay freeze' days that weren't, in reality, all that long ago...

Indeed I do; and there was NO BACK PAY for those "Years of Darkness".  Once the Government did "restart" our pay, it was a good thing that we were tied into the PS for the percentage of raise that we would get.  It was not back pay, but renegotiated pay as per the PS unions agreements.  Also remember, what one PS union gets, does not mean anything until all PS unions have agreement.  This is why it often takes some time before you will see figures released.

Eye In The Sky said:
Honestly, I'm not holding my breath for this FY.  If we do get a pay raise...bonus!

The raise will cover the cost of living increases for the last few years, and likely not quite cover off all the increases in CFSA/LTD or the pending CPP cash grab. We'll come out behind, we always do. Especially when PSAC bargains away some of our benefits.

PuckChaser said:
The raise will cover the cost of living increases for the last few years, and likely not quite cover off all the increases in CFSA/LTD or the pending CPP cash grab. We'll come out behind, we always do. Especially when PSAC bargains away some of our benefits.

Just like our severance...

Back