• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retro Pay & Allow 1Apr 2014 - 1Apr 2017

Will the retroactive pay rates factor into pension calculations, as far as best five years are concerned?

c_canuk said:
Is there anyone working in/with the pay system that can comment on if we'll receive the lump sum retro on the 30th, or if it will be later etc?

Someone today was saying they heard end of July, I thought we'd been told end of June, however I know these things can get delayed.

EMAA pay statements are up for end of June. Mine reflected end of June payment.

murrdawg said:
Ah! Missed it the first time

I demand damages! Your excel was off by 13 cents!!! You triggered me rawr rawr rawr (or maybe the govnt is cheating us of pennies to build up their coffers /tinfoil hat)

I'm not even going to bother to manually check the accuracy thanks to your excel sheet. Cheers for saving me up to an hour with it. Pretty much spot on.

I just received my RPSR Pay Statement through EMAA.  The amount showing was shockingly lower than expected for a retro statement covering 3+ years.  Unfortunately the statement has a disclaimer which reads "Not all Pay Statement information can be displayed through EMAA due to the high number of transactions contained in the statement. Please contact your Pay Office for a copy of your entire Pay Statement." so I have no idea if this is it for my retro, if this is my regular Class A pay or if supplementary deposits will be forthcoming.

Did some quick math, my retro pay is $8085, with 42% taken off for tax, CFSA, CPP and EI leaving me with $4735. The plus side, is I now only have July's pay before CPP and EI are maxed out for the year.

If it looks like you lost close to half, that's where it went.

PuckChaser said:
Did some quick math, my retro pay is $8085, with 42% taken off for tax, CFSA, CPP and EI leaving me with $4735. The plus side, is I now only have July's pay before CPP and EI are maxed out for the year.

Well that explains why my back pay was 7400$ but only 3600 of it is actually going to make it into my new rifle account err I mean bank account.

I got quite a bit less and I think I was taxed at the highest bracket. As I understand it anything over a 10 grand pay run, you get taxed at the highest rate by the RPSR. I would imagine I will get more back in taxes this year.

I would rather be taxed more than not enough, after getting curb stomped at tax time from the sea pay back pay from last year.  This retro pay is going entirely to pay that tax bill.  I won't see a penny of it.  Even though they took an arm and most of a leg with the sea pay, the over $5K still wanting suggests they want both legs too.  I'm really hoping I don't get kicked in the balls again come next April..

PuckChaser said:

I noticed the same thing, they maxed out on tax, pension, EI and CPP.  And yes EI and CPP will max out early, and Revenue Canada is going to be giving me back more cash next March :-/  Not necessarily a bad thing.

Jon

What concerns me is that the gross amount on my EMAA pay statement is roughly 40% of what I was expecting.

Haggis said:
What concerns me is that the gross amount on my EMAA pay statement is roughly 40% of what I was expecting.

I would definitely go to your clerks and have them look at that.  But the pay guide did go month by month for both pay and LDA etc.  So if you don't see months/years that you think you deserve, that would be the starting point.

Jon

Haggis said:

My calculation was very close to reality.  As a Reservist, I used the following data:

31 Dec 14 gross pay minus 31 Mar 14 gross pay x 1.25%
31 Mar 15 gross pay x 1.25%
31 Dec 15 gross pay minus 31 Mar 15 gross pay x 2.5%
31 Mar 16 gross pay x 2.5%
31 Dec 16 gross pay minus 31 Mar 16 gross pay x 4.95%
31 Mar 17 gross pay x 4.95%
15 Jun 17 gross pay minus 31 Mar 17 gross pay x 6.2%

Does not account for compounding, but it's a good ballpark estimate.

I "retired" last summer and am looking at about 2.5 years of back pay.  I have since taken my transfer value and invested in my new employer's pension plan and invested leftovers in my LIRA.  I was curious if they would be deducting a pension portion from the back pay amount?  I would assume this would get really complicated should they go that route?  Pension adjustment, transfer value amount already paid out, affecting average best 5 etc....

Yes, pension amounts will be recalculated, and pension contributions will be deducted.

Haggis said:
I just received my RPSR Pay Statement through EMAA.  The amount showing was shockingly lower than expected for a retro statement covering 3+ years.  Unfortunately the statement has a disclaimer which reads "Not all Pay Statement information can be displayed through EMAA due to the high number of transactions contained in the statement. Please contact your Pay Office for a copy of your entire Pay Statement." so I have no idea if this is it for my retro, if this is my regular Class A pay or if supplementary deposits will be forthcoming.

Haggis said:

It appears that some members in my regiment didn't get the June Class A pay but did get the retro... so that might be the reason why.

Would a reg force member (over a decade of service) who passed away in the last year or so be entitled to to any retro pay? Obviously not him but his wife?

Jarnhamar said:
Would a reg force member (over a decade of service) who passed away in the last year or so be entitled to to any retro pay? Obviously not him but his wife?
Yes, the estate should receive it.  I'd suggest contacting the RPPO for detauls; there may be issues to address before it can be released.

And re:End June class A: my understanding is that the pay cut off date was advanced due to the retro, so a number of folks did not have pay approved before the cut off.  Ask your OR.

dapaterson said:
And re:End June class A: my understanding is that the pay cut off date was advanced due to the retro, so a number of folks did not have pay approved before the cut off.  Ask your OR.

That's what I figured but since I'm on Class B it had no impact for me.

Ok, so I haven't really been following this whole pay increase topic since I have been out of the reg force and working in civilian land since the beginning of 2017. I had everything sorted out with my pension and claims, so when I saw a big lump of money from the gov't in my bank account at the end of June I was wondering, "Is that actually my money?" Based on the math of retro pay it seems like the numbers work out, I just wanted to make sure.

Back