• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retro Pay & Allow 1Apr 2014 - 1Apr 2017

Remius said:
Except that none of that is written anywhere, those benchmarks you are mentioning are just as anecdotal.  Unless you have a reference for that (please say you do because I've always wanted that reference).

I've also never understood the philosophy that equal work does not equate to equal pay that permeates so many regular force members.

Military personnel are not paid for their work (exclusively).  They are paid for what they may be called upon to do as well.  And since what the law dictates we can call on Reg and Res to do are two different sets, it is reasonable for there to be differing compensation.

As for the setting of compensation rates: the majority of the information I once could access has been lost to the vagaries of the DWAN...  and I know you will be shocked to learn that the current websites provide little specific information on the Reserve Force.

Again, anecdotal.  As Class B pers can be called on to do any variety of tasks that they might have to do.  Full time cadre being sent away to teach at Battle School for example for 4 months at a time.  If you compare pay to the PS the percentage difference is three times smaller than for reservists working full time.

Interesting note, that Class A on a day for day basis gets about the same amount as his regular force counterpart due to PILL (almost 15% but not quite) but the Class B type does not.  Different kettle I know but interesting none the less.

Remius said:
Except that none of that is written anywhere, those benchmarks you are mentioning are just as anecdotal.  Unless you have a reference for that (please say you do because I've always wanted that reference).

I've also never understood the philosophy that equal work does not equate to equal pay that permeates so many regular force members.

Here is a non-anecdote.  I have moved 15 times in 23 years with this wife, three of them OUTCAN, and am currently on my fifth tour.  I may have not earned that "extra 15%", but my wife and son sure have.

Remius said:
Again, anecdotal.  As Class B pers can be called on to do any variety of tasks that they might have to do.  Full time cadre being sent away to teach at Battle School for example for 4 months at a time.  If you compare pay to the PS the percentage difference is three times smaller than for reservists working full time.

A member on Class C employment aboard a deployed frigate has a really shitty command team who makes the deployment just miserable. So, he up and cancels his contract and flies home at the next port.

Can any RegF member do that?

Over a decade ago, I wrote a letter to DQOL (I believe it was Col Mann at the time), asking for an explanation of the 15% pay difference. I was involved in a project, part of which looked at compensation for Reservists in other mid to large sized NATO partners. Canada had, and still has, the most significant gap between Reg and Res for compensation. For example, the Territorials in the UK make 95% (the 5% is called the 'X Factor' and was very well determined), and when they go 'full time' there is no pay gap. I wanted to know why our pay gap existed, and what it was based upon, as all I had heard was anecdotal.

DQOL's answer was that prior to the Reserves Get Well project in the late 1980's, the gap was almost 40% on average (across various ranks and MOS). The Get Well project compared a number of MOS, primarily Cbt Arms, primarily Pte-MCpl. They looked at the CTP and the CTS for courses such as QL3 and QL4, and found that on average the Res F mbr was trained to 85% of the Reg F mbr. This was the key criteria in determining the pay gap.

I did reply back that this seemed to be outdated, as many courses have become common Reg/Res. As well, speaking for my very limited world, we don't train GDMO, GDNO, Soc W, Physio, Pharmacy, even Padre. They get trained and licensed through civilian institutions.  In many cases, the Res F mbr sees a far broader range of patients, and illnesses, and can be more clinically competent than their Reg F counterpart.

All that to say, it has nothing to do with postings, or deployments, or any of the other rumours that always fly around. There is also, as far as I can tell, absolutely no appetite to ever revisit this.

Staff Weenie said:
In many cases, the Res F mbr sees a far broader range of patients, and illnesses, and can be more clinically competent than their Reg F counterpart.

And that is probably primarily due to their civilian job.

So far none of the explanations listed in the last few posts is supported by any policy and or guideline or directives.  Just opinions and feelings.

The AG looked into it and found that there is nothing to support that disparity in pay.

http://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/internet/English/parl_oag_201602_05_e_41249.html

Section 5.59

And DND agreed with that finding.  It also agreed to review the TOS for reservists.  When that will happen who knows.

The easiest explanation is money and not much else.

Remius said:
So far none of the explanations listed in the last few posts is supported by any policy and or guideline or directives.  Just opinions and feelings.

The AG looked into it and found that there is nothing to support that disparity in pay.

Section 5.59

And DND agreed with that finding.  It also agreed to review the TOS for reservists.  When that will happen who knows.

The easiest explanation is money and not much else.

Dead link.

Reservists who perform a truly equivalent RegF posn are placed on Class C.  Guess what the Class C pay rate is?  Hint:  Starts with "H" and rhymes with "undred percent."

You conveniently glossed over PPCLI Guy's post...Class B cannot be forcibly posted somewhere they don't want to go, amongst other differences.

:2c:

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
Dead link.

Reservists who perform a truly equivalent RegF posn are placed on Class C.  Guess what the Class C pay rate is?  Hint:  Starts with "H" and rhymes with "undred percent."

You conveniently glossed over PPCLI Guy's post...Class B cannot be forcibly posted somewhere they don't want to go, amongst other differences.

:2c:

Regards
G2G

I didn't gloss over it.  The argument much like your class C argument is irrelevant as it still does not explain the pay disparity.  It's an opinion.  If your baseline is what you consider to truly be a regular force position then there are plenty of regular force people who should be paid reserve pay.  Or are all those class b backfills not truly regular force positions?

I'm not saying that regs and reserves need to be equal in terms of pay.  CLass A is different kettle of fish.  long term class B is what is the weird thing as to why there is a 15% when the factor is 6%.  What I am saying from the beginning is that nothing anywhere actually outlines the reason.  I'm happy to be corrected.  Just show me. 

Again, pay is determined by the PS pay with a factor added.  That factor is much less than the 15%.  I believe it is set at 6%. 

AG link again.  Hoepefully works.  But here is the copied part of the report.

5.59 Army Reserve soldiers (and any other Reservists) may accept contracts for full-time service with their units, with Army headquarters, or elsewhere in National Defence. These contracts are for periods of 180 days to three years, and can be renewed for much longer periods. While Army Reserve soldiers working under such contracts for up to three years could be regarded as not employed on a continuing full-time basis, in our view, Army Reserve soldiers engaged on such contracts for more than three years are employed on a continuing full-time basis. This is inconsistent with the National Defence Act, which states that Primary Reserve members are enrolled for other than continuing full-time military service when not on active service undertaking emergency duties for the defence of Canada or deployed on international missions. National Defence has, in effect, created a class of soldiers that does not exist in the Act. Furthermore, these soldiers receive 85 percent of the salary and lesser benefits than Regular Army soldiers would receive for the same work.

And DND's response.

5.62Recommendation. National Defence should review the terms of service of Army Reserve soldiers, and the contracts of full-time Army Reserve soldiers, to ensure that it is in compliance with the National Defence Act.

National Defence’s response. Agreed. The Canadian Armed Forces will review the framework for the Reserve Force terms of service and the administration of Reserve Force service to ensure it complies with the National Defence Act and the regulations enacted under it.

For me there should be two classes. Full time and part time.  TOS should be clear for each. 

Remius said:
I didn't gloss over it.  The argument much like your class C argument is irrelevant as it still does not explain the pay disparity.  It's an opinion.  If your baseline is what you consider to truly be a regular force position then there are plenty of regular force people who should be paid reserve pay.  Or are all those class b backfills not truly regular force positions?

For me there should be two classes. Full time and part time.  TOS should be clear for each.

Three classes.  Part time, full time and geographically static (at 85%), and full time and mobile (at 100%).  Perhaps over 40% of Reg F would fit into the 85% class.....

PPCLI Guy said:
Three classes.  Part time, full time and geographically static (at 85%), and full time and mobile (at 100%).  Perhaps over 40% of Reg F would fit into the 85% class.....

That would make more sense.  Create a baseline pay and breakdown the Mil factor along those lines. 

PPCLI Guy said:

How do you define a reg force member being geographically static in your hypothesis ?

Halifax Tar said:
How do you define a reg force member being geographically static in your hypothesis ?

Number of posts on milnet.ca...

;D

Remius said:

I'm not saying that regs and reserves need to be equal in terms of pay.  CLass A is different kettle of fish.  long term class B is what is the weird thing as to why there is a 15% when the factor is 6%.  What I am saying from the beginning is that nothing anywhere actually outlines the reason.  I'm happy to be corrected.  Just show me. 

Again, pay is determined by the PS pay with a factor added.  That factor is much less than the 15%.  I believe it is set at 6%. 

...For me there should be two classes. Full time and part time.  TOS should be clear for each.

Why, when the PS has three classes?  Indeterminate, Term and Casual.  Casual hires are paid at the minimum rate of the classification, per TB policy.  Why don't they get paid at higher rates like Term and Indeterminate public servants?

You seem to brush off Class A.  Why shouldn't a Class A Reservist be paid at a daily rate equivalent of 100% RegF pay?

Would you have an issue with the CAF changing the employment location of a Class B Reservist for the remainder of their term, and requiring that Reservist to move to the new work location?

Regards
G2G

Halifax Tar said:

Say no to one posting, or indicate that you need to stay static. and voila - 85% pay.  Volunteer to be moved, go to your new posting, and voila, 100% pay.

Good2Golf said:
Why, when the PS has three classes?  Indeterminate, Term and Casual.  Casual hires are paid at the minimum rate of the classification, per TB policy.  Why don't they get paid at higher rates like Term and Indeterminate public servants?

You seem to brush off Class A.  Why shouldn't a Class A Reservist be paid at a daily rate equivalent of 100% RegF pay?

Would you have an issue with the CAF changing the employment location of a Class B Reservist for the remainder of their term, and requiring that Reservist to move to the new work location?

Regards
G2G

Term is essentially your class b.  Paid the same.

You also forgot indeterminate that can work part time.  No difference in pay.

Casuals are not employees of the federal public service and are not subject to nor hired under the public service employee act.

Reference http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/psm-fpfm/staffing-dotation/psw-efp/ocas-eng.asp

Reservists are hired under and are subject to the NDA. 

You see, it is clearly outlined and directed by policy and guidelines. 

Reserve pay is not.  Or at least the 15% justification isn't. 

If you are suggesting that class B and class a get paid at the same rate as the lowest incentive level of that rank then they would still be ahead.

It's not a question of brushing off class A.  They have different TOS that the reg force.  As I said, it shouldn't necessarily be equal but it should be closer to what the military factor is.  That's what compensates the regular member for postings.

PPCLI Guy said:
Say no to one posting, or indicate that you need to stay static. and voila - 85% pay.  Volunteer to be moved, go to your new posting, and voila, 100% pay.

This would violate so many human rights laws it isn't even funny.  A more realistic option would be the CAF, particularly the officer corps, having a more flexible contract scheme.  My 13 years are up in 18 months and I've indicated already I won't be resigning my TOS because the only option is 25.  Does my pay drop if I refuse to be posted in the APS, for a seven month posting?  In what world does that make sense?  The way the military manages its people is already fubared enough and that idea is quite frankly ridiculous. 

Remius said:

AG link again.  Hoepefully works.  But here is the copied part of the report.

5.59 Army Reserve soldiers (and any other Reservists) may accept contracts for full-time service with their units, with Army headquarters, or elsewhere in National Defence. These contracts are for periods of 180 days to three years, and can be renewed for much longer periods. While Army Reserve soldiers working under such contracts for up to three years could be regarded as not employed on a continuing full-time basis, in our view, Army Reserve soldiers engaged on such contracts for more than three years are employed on a continuing full-time basis. This is inconsistent with the National Defence Act, which states that Primary Reserve members are enrolled for other than continuing full-time military service when not on active service undertaking emergency duties for the defence of Canada or deployed on international missions. National Defence has, in effect, created a class of soldiers that does not exist in the Act. Furthermore, these soldiers receive 85 percent of the salary and lesser benefits than Regular Army soldiers would receive for the same work.

And DND's response.

5.62Recommendation. National Defence should review the terms of service of Army Reserve soldiers, and the contracts of full-time Army Reserve soldiers, to ensure that it is in compliance with the National Defence Act.

National Defence’s response. Agreed. The Canadian Armed Forces will review the framework for the Reserve Force terms of service and the administration of Reserve Force service to ensure it complies with the National Defence Act and the regulations enacted under it.

I don't know what you are trying to prove with your link. Except for one throw away sentence at the end of the AG's link there is no mention of Reserve pay. DND didn't even acknowledge it.

The entirety of the rest of your quotes were about Reservists getting too much class B time. The AG said there should not be long term class B contracts as that creates a type of soldier not authorized to exist (the full time reservist). DND agreed. The solution is no more long term class B contracts, not paying Reservists more.

I`m not sure I necessarily agree with that position but that is the logical leap one takes from reading the quotes you posted.

PPCLI Guy said:

People can say no to postings ?  Don't get me wrong I've known lots of people with short assignment histories on their mprr but they never said no, they were protected, or they had "issues" that kept then "static".

What about a hard sea trade who works within the home port division matrix ? 

What is static ?  A bos'n can spend 30 years in Halifax but I would highly disagree that they were static.

I agree with where you going,  I just think it needs to be tuned a little.

Back