• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retiring in style!!!

bossi

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
(it's nice to hear some good news for a change!)

City couple hit $8.6M jackpot
Ajay Bhardwaj, Edmonton Sun

An Edmonton military couple who struck it rich on the Lotto 649 say they plan to quit their jobs and spend time with their children. Roland and Melody Lajoie picked up a whopping $8.6 million, the fifth-largest lottery prize ever won in Alberta, from a July 3 draw. The couple split the staggering $17-million jackpot with a winner from British Columbia.

The biggest Alberta lottery win is $10.8 million by a Sherwood Park couple on the Super-7 in February.

"We'll be the same people, only in fancier clothes," laughed Melody yesterday. "We're going on a honeymoon. We never had one."

A longtime lottery player, Roland bought his tickets at the Namao Centre Super Stop-Petro-Canada at 16441 97 St.

"I usually buy tickets when (the jackpot) goes into double digits," he said. He later checked the numbers on the Internet.

"I saw I had the first number, then the second and third and then it was like I got tunnel vision. The only thing I could see was that the six numbers on my ticket exactly matched."

Roland called Melody to tell her the exciting news. "She didn't believe me," he said.

"We're going to help out our family," said Melody. "We don't come from a rich family."

The couple plan to take their three children, ages 14, 12 and eight, to Disneyland.

Melody said she's looking forward to being a stay-at-home mom for their kids. So far only the 14-year-old has realized the magnitude of the win, said the couple.

"He's going to get all his West 49 clothes," said Melody.

Roland, a 42-year-old supply technician based at the Edmonton Garrison, said he's been playing the lotteries all his adult life. "It's mostly been quick picks," he said.

A 17-year army veteran, Roland has served in Yugoslavia and Afghanistan.

He said he plans to still play the lottery.

Wierd coincidence, here in Halifax 2 old retired couples won the Lottery on the same street!

They're the only two houses in a working class neighboorhood with a third floor extension and 3 cars in the driveway.

Dummy, why doesn't he wait three years for his pension to kick in.  What do they plan on doing when the 8.6 million dries up?  I remember seeing a statistic that most lottery winners ended up unhappy in the long run because they let the large influx of cash change their life around.

Infanteer said:
Dummy, why doesn't he wait three years for his pension to kick in.  What do they plan on doing when the 8.6 million dries up?  I remember seeing a statistic that most lottery winners ended up unhappy in the long run because they let the large influx of cash change their life around.

I don't see that money drying up anytime soon. If they don't go crazy and buy the newest Ferrari every year, they can make a bundle if they put it in the bank and just live off the interest. A bank with 5% interest nets them almost half a million a year, so to compare to that retirement salary, I can see why he retired with only 3 years left.

Its the kids who are lucky, they can pretty much do anything with their lives.

Infanteer said:
Dummy, why doesn't he wait three years for his pension to kick in.   What do they plan on doing when the 8.6 million dries up?   I remember seeing a statistic that most lottery winners ended up unhappy in the long run because they let the large influx of cash change their life around.

I sure would love to have that kind of money - I'm willing to risk the chance of ending up unhappy.  ;D

If I ever got that much money, I would go work part-time at a fast-food restaurant...

...I already do (pizzeria) nothing special there.

I would go with jutes' plan, the interest is enough for anyone to live off of.

as for working, I would still work, but it would have to be something I love to do.

Back