• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retired Ghurka Takes on 40 Train Robbers

Danjanou

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Not surprised by either his decision to intervene nor the outcome.

Reprinted with the usual caveats et cetera.

http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=27100

No nor me.  They are fine Soldiers.  Can't say I would want to be on the other side of his Kukri.  Good on him, I hope he gets a decent reward for this.  :salute:

Awesome story, glad he took it to 'em!  In Canada he'd get 3 murder charges, aggravated assault, and carrying a concealed weapon hits.  then the dead robbers families would all sue for wrongful death.

jollyjacktar said:
No nor me.  They are fine Soldiers.  Can't say I would want to be on the other side of his Kukri.  Good on him, I hope he gets a decent reward for this.  :salute:

According to the article a couple of barvery medals, cash reward and some sort of discount rail pass. Oh yeah they "unretired" him too.

Hmmm... only killed three eh? I hope he doesn't get too much stick from the regiment  ;D

I would be very curious to see if a similar incident took place in Canada if there would a public outcry from the political correct yahoos over the 3 deaths and 8 woundings.

My grandfather fought alongside the Ghurkas in Asia during the Second World War...one in fact saved him from getting shot by a Japanese sniper.  Told me some pretty scary stories - am very glad they're on our side.  Good work dude  :salute:.

MM

I haven't read too much about the Ghurka's but from what I hear, they're are some pretty bad ass troops.

Very good read!  :salute:

daftandbarmy said:
Hmmm... only killed three eh? I hope he doesn't get too much stick from the regiment  ;D

Well it did say he was retired, so maybe he's slowing down in his old age. 8)

Full story:
http://www.hamrosite.com/editorial/lone-nepali-gorkha-who-subdued-40-train-robbers-bishnu-shrestha
http://www.neatorama.com/2011/01/29/40-train-robbers-vs-1-gurkha/
http://xnepali.com/a-gurkha-soldier-who-fought-40-train-robbers-to-be-felicitated-in-the-republic-day-of-india/
http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=27100

POKHARA, Jan 13: Gorkha soldiers have long been known the world over for their valor and these khukuri-wielding warriors winning the British many a battle have become folklore.

A retired Indian Gorkha soldier recently revisited those glory days when he thwarted 40 robbers, killing three of them and injuring eight others, with his khukuri during a train journey. He is in line to receive three gallantry awards from the Indian government.

Slave girl Morgiana in the Arabian Nights used her cunning to finish off Ali Baba´s 40 thieves, but Bishnu Shrestha of Baidam, Pokhara-6 did not have time to plot against the 40 train robbers. He, however, made good use of his khukuri to save the chastity of a girl and hundreds of thousands in loot.

Shrestha, who was in the Maurya Express to Gorakhpur from Ranchi on September 2 while returning home following voluntary retirement from the Indian army--saved the girl who was going to be raped by the robbers in front of her helpless parents, and in doing so won plaudits from everybody.

The government of Nepal decided to provide special honor to the Indian Gorkha soldier who fought as many as 40 bandits in a train with nothing but a khukuri, and thwarted them from robbing passengers and raping a minor.

“He will be provided a special honor for doing Nepal proud at international stage,” Finance Minister Surendra Raj Pandey said after the cabinet meeting on Thursday. The government, however, has yet to declare what the honor would comprise of and when will it be given.

The Indian government is to decorate Shrestha with its Sourya Chakra, Bravery Award and Sarvottam Jeevan Raksha Medal and the 35-year-old is leaving for India Saturday to receive the first of the awards on the occasion of India´s Republic Day on January 26.

“The formal announcement of the awards will be made on Republic Day and on Independence Day on August 15,” said Shrestha, whose father Gopal Babu also retired from the same 7/8 Platoon of the Gorkha Regiment around 29 years ago.

His regiment has already given him a cash award of Indian rupees 50,000, and decided to terminate his voluntary retirement. He will get the customary promotion after receiving the medals. The Indian government will also announce a cash bounty for him and special discounts on international air tickets and domestic train tickets.

The band of about 40 robbers, some of whom were travelling as passengers, stopped the train in the Chittaranjan jungles in West Bengal around midnight. Shrestha-- who had boarded the train at Ranchi in Jharkhand, the place of his posting--was in seat no. 47 in coach AC3.

“They started snatching jewelry, cell phones, cash, laptops and other belongings from the passengers,” Shrestha recalled. The soldier had somehow remained a silent spectator amidst the melee, but not for long. He had had enough when the robbers stripped an 18-year-old girl sitting next to him and tried to rape her right in front of her parents. He then took out his khukuri and took on the robbers.

This was posted a couple of days ago....not sure just where the thread is, but it's there...

Back