• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retire from CAF and entering Fed PS [Merged]

Priority Hire can really only work if the applicant is qualified for the position advertised and has skills. They must meet Statement of Merit Criteria. If not, there is no priority over a more qualified applicant. We had a young infantry soldier, that was getting medically released from injuries from Afghanistan, that was inquiring into a trade position at CE that was advertised. He had no skills or qualifications in that trade. He was told that he could probably qualify for priority hire for the apprenticeship position in that trade. The position is half the money but they sent you to school. He was not impressed and said that it priority hire was BS and he was getting screwed. He thought he should be given the trade position (and pay) and they could send him for training.

Grunt:  Absolutely true.  You still need to meet the essential qualifications.

And that's a good example.  A lot of people in priority hire pools, are asked to if they want to be considered for job x or job y and turn those jobs down for whatever reason.  Not enough money, don't want to relocate, don't want to work for a particular department etc etc.

Grunt_031 said:
Priority Hire can really only work if the applicant is qualified for the position advertised and has skills. They must meet Statement of Merit Criteria. If not, there is no priority over a more qualified applicant. We had a young infantry soldier, that was getting medically released from injuries from Afghanistan, that was inquiring into a trade position at CE that was advertised. He had no skills or qualifications in that trade. He was told that he could probably qualify for priority hire for the apprenticeship position in that trade. The position is half the money but they sent you to school. He was not impressed and said that it priority hire was BS and he was getting screwed. He thought he should be given the trade position (and pay) and they could send him for training.

I would have grabbed that up in a heartbeat... paid to do training and then a garrunteed apprenticeship? Gotta look to the future and it can be bright in skilled trades once you've got your ticket. What a schmuck.

Canuck4ever said:
Did same with my former unit (I retired only 15 months ago) and got my MPRR emailed within an hour.  Now to convince the authorities that be that an MPRR would work....

How did you get your MPRR so fast? I've emailed 4 different section but still no go. I have been told to call section that I had previously contacted so I'm going nowhere fast.

Reg  :(

RegRetd said:
How did you get your MPRR so fast? I've emailed 4 different section but still no go. I have been told to call section that I had previously contacted so I'm going nowhere fast.

Reg  :(

I'm pretty sure anybody with a national view in peoplesoft can pull it up.  I was able to get someone here to pull two MPRRs for former members.

Not 100% sure though.

Could be that the sections you have there can't access your MPRR.

Leave credit came in this week.  Less than a month from request to get it updated.  Well done, in my case.

Crantor said:
Leave credit came in this week.  Less than a month from request to get it updated.  Well done, in my case.

Good news!

I'm at 4 weeks as of today.  I think I saw somewhere that they were using 6 weeks as a target date, so I'm not expecting anything just yet. 

bridges said:
Good news!

I'm at 4 weeks as of today.  I think I saw somewhere that they were using 6 weeks as a target date, so I'm not expecting anything just yet.

Mine will be one month on Saturday; when I called for follow-up I was advised that they were hoping to have things resolved within 6-8 weeks.  I've set a flag on the message to pop up and remind me to follow up just after labour day if it hasn't been done.

dapaterson said:
Mine will be one month on Saturday; when I called for follow-up I was advised that they were hoping to have things resolved within 6-8 weeks.  I've set a flag on the message to pop up and remind me to follow up just after labour day if it hasn't been done.

;D  Did the same thing.  I also set my IE home page to the leave self-service app, to remind me to check upon booting up in the morning.  The prospect of getting those couple of extra weeks back is very appealing.

Submitted 11 July; updated today.  Just over a month during summer leave is pretty damn spiffy, if you ask me.

Interestingly enough, from what I can gather the system won't accept multiple periods of time, so they took my cumulative total of B&C 180+, counted the number of days, and worked back from the date I started in the PS to determine my new "Leave Service Date".

...now to figure out when I get my next increase  >:D

:waiting:
And for those of us now working for Crown Corporations....
:crickets:

Submitted 12 July; still waiting as well.  Just over 5 weeks now.  Working for DND. 

It's helpful, to hear some of these updates - thanks. 

I work in Compensation with CSC. We are now processing CF service towards PS leave credits. What we need is a copy of your MPRR which indicates your exact start and end dates history with the CF. If you can't get the info from your previous unit then try the BPSO office at your nearest base.

The hitch is you must have a current collective agreement and an MOU inserted recognizing CF Service for PS leave credits. Currently the PA group has this in place. If you are AS,CM,CR,DA,IS,OE,PM,ST,WP then your compensation department should be now processing the leave credits based on your MPRR. It takes me exactly 2 mins to process them on HRMS so I have been processing them as I get the info from my clients. 

The largest group in CSC, with previous CF service, are the Correctional Officers (CX) . Once they get their new collective agreement signed we will be able to apply this CF service toward PS leave credits. The same goes for other collective agreements that are not current.

My Compensation Advisor applied my previous 26 yrs of CF service 2 days ago and I went from minmum 3 weeks vacation to maximum 6 weeks vacation per fiscal year!  :nod:

Bigmac said:
My Compensation Advisor applied my previous 26 yrs of CF service 2 days ago and I went from minmum 3 weeks vacation to maximum 6 weeks vacation per fiscal year!  :nod:

I took a bit of a pay cut going to the PS.  But what really stung was the vacation time.  This kind of stuff is great to hear

Bigmac said:
I work in Compensation with CSC. We are now processing CF service towards PS leave credits. What we need is a copy of your MPRR which indicates your exact start and end dates history with the CF. ...  It takes me exactly 2 mins to process them on HRMS so I have been processing them as I get the info from my clients. 

Bigmac, thanks for this report from the inside - much appreciated.

If it's ok to ask - in terms of processing time, for someone in the PA group working in DND, & who has sent the required MPRR, how long would you think would be a reasonable time to wait before sending a request for sitrep and/or asking if they need any other info?

Well, after serving 26 years, I learned that the Government was made to do many things but speed is not one of them. I’m with the RCMP and after sending 5 different emails, I finally found someone that is willing to look into my request but they haven’t given me any updates on how long this will take to implement so … Im hoping for this fiscal year. :)

RegRetd said:
Well, after serving 26 years, I learned that the Government was made to do many things but speed is not one of them. I’m with the RCMP and after sending 5 different emails, I finally found someone that is willing to look into my request but they haven’t given me any updates on how long this will take to implement so … Im hoping for this fiscal year. :)

Ironic, considering RCMP mbrs themselves have had this since 2010, IIRC.

Well, sometimes good things come to those who persist.  Good luck!

bridges said:
Bigmac, thanks for this report from the inside - much appreciated.

If it's ok to ask - in terms of processing time, for someone in the PA group working in DND, & who has sent the required MPRR, how long would you think would be a reasonable time to wait before sending a request for sitrep and/or asking if they need any other info?

Bridges I can only speak for CSC. I would think DND would have the highest amount of PS employees with previous CF service. I'm sure their timelines would be longer due to the volume of MPRRs they are receiving. You should contact your Compensation Advisor to verify they received your MPRR and ask if they require any further info. Then ask them nicely for an estimate of how long it will take to process. Email is best so that you have a documented date that you can refer to if you don't hear back from them within the estimated timeline.

Good Luck!  :)

Bigmac said:
Bridges I can only speak for CSC. I would think DND would have the highest amount of PS employees with previous CF service. I'm sure their timelines would be longer due to the volume of MPRRs they are receiving. You should contact your Compensation Advisor to verify they received your MPRR and ask if they require any further info. Then ask them nicely for an estimate of how long it will take to process. Email is best so that you have a documented date that you can refer to if you don't hear back from them within the estimated timeline.

Good Luck!  :)

Ah - CSC, yes of course.  I got over-excited for a minute there, just hearing from someone in the processing side of the system.  Anyway you're quite right on all counts, and I'll send a query.  Good advice.  Thanks again!    :nod:

Back