• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Response's To "Ruxted On The Media's Handling Of Cpl. Boneca's Death"

Mud, looking at your profile I see Toronto is your location.

Much as we all love Wainwright you might find it a little less stressful and expensive to stay closer to home. The Reserve Brigade, 32 CBG,(indeed all of the Central Area PRes units) will be having their summer exercise at Petawawa in August.

The 32 Brigade website is here.

Note the PA contacts here.

From these guys you may also be able to get info on the next Afstan roto stepping off in Aug

Not quite sure who is on leave now or not. The location of 32 Bde HQ is the New Denison Armoury on Sheppard (between Keele and Dufferin). Call these guys, whether you work for the National Post or the Mini-Mart Weekly Newsrag you'll get the whole treatment, I'll bet.

Thanks for the great info from everyone, it will all go to good use and if it airs I will post the time and date ( it's for TV)  I hope this story does help to right the wrong impression that many may have gotten after the death of Cpl Boneca.  Man, how things change! When I did my QL2 there were doubts as to whether there would still be an army in a few years - today I might have made a different career choice...

There were a series of shows that highlighted the military ie SAR Tech's, Boarding parties etc.  Truth, Duty, Valor.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Sorry for your loss but this is just stupid,

Quote,
But reporting the facts is what these people do, they can't in most instances parse out the truth.

The whole reason of "free press" is to ensure the general public has the truth, anything else is just wrong. Some people may be happy getting their news from the National Inquirer/ News Of the World but I expect something more....

As a young, cub reporter for The Barrie Examiner, 40 years ago, I was tasked by my editor to approach the families of two youngsters who had been killed the evening before by a hit-and-run on a country road.  We wanted to run their pictures.
I phoned the boy's family, and was given a curt and outright no.  I called the girl's house, and was told I could come over.
Going to that house remains one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life, both as a journalist and as a soldier.  I was welcomed, offered tea, and the mother had several photos ready for me.  We talked briefly, I offered my deepest synmpathies, and I promised her I would return the picture I had selected, in perfect condition.
Moments after my return to the newsroom, a giant of a man walked in, and asked for me by name.  He was the boy's father.  He gave me an envelope.
"This is a picture of my son" he said.  "The other family told me how courteous and kind you were.  Please show people how my son looked...show them what has been lost."

Sometimes when I think of these things...I still weep.

The idea that reporters, trying to do their jobs to the best of their ability, are out to get us, is the cause of most of the trouble.  They are not the enemy.  They do not hate us, but they know that a lot of us hate them.  It should not be.

Hey, printing their pictures with the permission of the next-of-kin is a fine tribute.......only today the story underneath the pictures would probably read like a bad Saturday Night Live skit of the "Church Lady".

"..alone at night,...just the two of them...hooooow convenient....."

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate reporters, I hate what the system has made them become.....

That's what irks me the most, the never ending quest for the story behind the story.  Sometimes there just ain't one.  Sometimes, as Sigmund said, a cigar is just a cigar.

tonykeene said:
The idea that reporters, trying to do their jobs to the best of their ability, are out to get us, is the cause of most of the trouble. 
if they stopped putting their own spin on facts, stuck to reporting the truth, and stopped mis-quoting us, there wouldn't  be a problem.
They are not the enemy.
  Yes, they are. Not all of them, but too many to take any of them on faith. I've had too many personal, first-hand encounters with the liars who call themselves journalists to believe anything else.

paracowboy said:
if they stopped putting their own spin on facts, stuck to reporting the truth, and stopped mis-quoting us, there wouldn't  be a problem.  

It is such a simple process to correctly quote a person. 

You ask a question.
They give you an answer.
You write it down.
You read it back to the person.
They confirm that what you wrote is what they said.

Its not rocket science!  We've been doing it in debriefs, interviews, handling, and interrogations since WWI.  Its even simpler when the other person is willingly giving information and willing to repeat statements so that they can be written down correctly.  Thus, whenever it occurs, you have to ask - was the person incompetent, stupid, or deliberately spinning our words to fit their story?  ::)

I am a member of the LSSR the unit that Boneca was part of i might not of been one of Bonecas life long friends but i can tell you that he was all for the mission and one of the best troops i know. Just because he tells his girl that he misses home and wants out of the desert does not mean he hates the mission. I can't tell you how many times i have said i want out of LFCA TC MEAFORD or wainwright does that mean i hate the mission no it means i miss home and my old lady.

Back