• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Response's To "Ruxted On The Media's Handling Of Cpl. Boneca's Death"

Harkens back to when the media were whinning about being banned from the repat ceremonies because they cared so much.

From my blog, Robbs Rants (http://www.rmacqueen.blogspot.com/)

We should be ashamed!

Corporal Anthony Boneca gave his life in the service of this country and all certain members of the media care about are some emails he sent.  Headlines like “Slain soldier felt `misled'” and “Reservist was disillusioned with military” were plastered all over the place.

This is not the time!

At a time when his family should be left alone to mourn their loss, members of the media are acting like a pack of slavering dogs with the scent of controversy filling the air.  Tripping over themselves to get the scoop, they have shown little consideration for the fact a man has died.

The media have managed to paint this soldier as a whiner, an image that will probably stick to his memory for years to come.  And, at the time his family should be left alone to plan for his funeral, his father is forced to come out and defend his only son.

They should all be ashamed - and we should too.  We have enabled the media by buying into this feeding frenzy instead of turning our backs on this circus and behaving like decent human beings.

We should be ashamed!

Sorry. I never enabled the press to do what they did.

I'm not ashamed, nor should I be.

If your feeling bad about something, that has nothing to do with me, don't include me, with the royal 'we.

I've been reading this thread for the last couple of hours, I could'nt stop.

I'm a member of the media, a TV camerguy, and for a short time (94-95)  was in the army doing a QL2 course with the reserves.  I know it was a very limited experience but I have always been very pro-military and it  only increased my respect for those who go on to much higher levels of military experience.

Let my say that I fully understand the anger and frustration about the way Cpl Boneca's death was covered  - I won't appologize for anyone, the media are as flawed as any other group of people and although I reject the idea of a political agenda, I agree that sensationalism drives the story far too often.  And the guy who suggested that "we" are to blame was bang-on, the media will respond ultimately to market pressure (ie- sales and ratings) and if people rejected this type of reporting en-masse, I can assure you that managment would notice.

Recently I was offered a chance to go to Afghanistan to cover the war, I declined for personal reasons (bad timing) but was thinking of going on a later rotation.  I told my co-workers that I really thought this was a story that needed to be told.  I believe very strongly in the Afghan mission and think that it's important that it be covered.  But I was really disturbed by the posting on this thread that indicated that the lives of  soldiers may have been put in danger in order to make room for the media.  Can anyone comment more on this?  And is it really futile to have a media presence there?  Is the coverage so bad that it hurts more than it helps?  I would never want to go if I thought people's lives may be at risk because of my presence and if the vast majority of the troops feel the media presence is a bad thing.

I'm glad that things have turned for the military, (I remember things were very bad in 94-95 and also remember hoping it was'nt too long before things changed).  Thanks to all of you who serve us in defence of freedom in Afghanistan and all who proudly serve this country in any part of the world and here at home.  You really do represent the best of our country!

Thank you for being upfront about being affiliated with the media.  :salute:

I think someone here mentioned that he had to make room for the press and move his troops around to less armoured vehicles.

In concert with Recceguy's post directed to RMaqueen, do not lump me in the royal 'we' category either. I think that this thread illlustrates and validates that a forum discussion by professionals with informed opinions can affect change, even if it's subtle.

I have nothing to be ashamed about, neither do the majority of the posters here. By being silent we would have enabled those who had started this fiasco in the first place. The only group of people who should be ashamed, are the MSM who did not do the research, or told half truths or reported statements taken completely out of context. Some of the articles discussed in previous posts speak of members of the media who are embarassed and disgusted by the sensational reporting of some of their peers. It speaks well of them.

What we shouldnt forget is the media circus surrounding Tony's death, and how we can prevent it from happening again. The media is the supposed watch dog of government goings on, keeping people accountable etc. My question is, who holds the media accountable? Who polices the police?

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Worthington_Peter/2006/07/23/1698102.html

Peter WorthingtonSun, July 23, 2006

LET HIM REST IN PEACE 

Anthony Boneca knew the risks of combat in Afghanistan -- he was on his second tour
By Peter Worthington

It was a former sergeant with the famed 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion in WWI who wondered if a great disservice hadn't been done to Cpl. Anthony Boneca, the 17th soldier killed in action in Afghanistan.

Ronald (Andy) Anderson, a retired Toronto cop, feels the media has misrepresented this solider by stressing that he "bitched and griped about his military service."

Andy expected this of the Toronto Star, but was disappointed that the Sun also uncritically repeated grumblings that Boneca had apparently written to his girlfriend. He was disappointed too, that as a former soldier, I hadn't reacted.

"It is the 'nature of the beast' for all soldiers to gripe and whine about their duties, and officers of any regiment are easy targets," he wrote me. "But when duty calls, it is the pride of the regiment that draws all soldiers together."

While we'll never know what went on in Cpl. Boneca's mind, the fact that he was a reservist on his second tour of Afghanistan, speaks volumes.

For his prospective father-in-law to sound off to the media that Boneca was "disillusioned ... wasn't ready for this kind of thing," and that he had insufficient training for combat, maligns the reputation and legacy of one whom his comrades, his officers and his own father felt was a fine soldier.

His dad, Antonio, sought to refute that his son was a disgruntled and fearful soldier. He said his son "knew what he was getting into" and that "he loved the army." This makes more sense since, after all, he'd joined the reserves (the Lake Superior Regiment four years ago) and was trained at home and in the field.

Yes, duty and patrols in Kabul were different than fighting patrols in Kandahar, but every Canadian soldier in Afghanistan knows the risks, knows his job and is there by choice. Morale is high, because the calibre of soldier is high and they know what they are doing.

As an aside, the weaponry and equipment that the girlfriend's father so deplores, is better and more plentiful than Canadian soldiers are accustomed to. And it's slated to get better under the Harper government.

It taxes credulity to suppose soldiers don't know what they're facing in Afghanistan. It's why some enlisted. Before we had more than an advance guard in Kandahar, Gen. Rick Hillier was warning that this was no peacekeeping mission; that our troops faced a resourceful enemy, and casualties were inevitable. How can that be interpreted as being "misled."

The presence of the Governor-General, the Defence Minister and Chief of Defence Staff at Trenton when Boneca's body came home is testimony to his value.

He died for his country, and it shames him to be depicted as a whiner who wanted out. And no blame on his girlfriend, Megan DeCorte, if he bellyached in letters to her. As Andy Anderson has pointed out, all soldiers do that.

As if to endorse the disillusion supposedly felt by Cpl. Boneca, the media noted that AWL cases (absent without leave) have doubled in the military since 9/11. Reports imply that this is akin to desertion. This is bizarre. Overstaying a leave, going on a bender, absent to see a girlfriend, missing a train, whatever, is not "desertion" but AWL (AWOL is the American term).

Minor offence

"Deserters" are what a bunch of Americans now in Canada are -- they volunteered for the military and ran away when orders came for Iraq or Afghanistan. To some, that might seem like cowardice, even if it's called "conscientious objecting."

Desertion should not be confused with draft dodging, as in the Vietnam war. And it most certainly isn't AWL, a relatively minor offence punished by a reduction in rank, confinement to barracks, a token fine, even a warning.

Heck, AWL is what Sasha Trudeau was when he was in the reserves and missing from Camp Gagetown for a lively weekend in Quebec City.

So let Cpl. Tony Boneca RIP as the soldier he wanted to be, and as the soldier he was.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Mud. If you do go over then you join the ranks of the media who do know what they are talking about, and will serve to counterbalance the poorly researched and uninformed "journalism" which is responsible for the anger and dismay you see in this forum. We really need more people like you to get over there and tell the story as it actually is, not go looking for some slant or controversy.

In fact, if you read more of these editorials posted on this site, you see the danger that ill informed media can cause, it plays right into the enemy's hands as they conduct information operations against Canada and Canadians.

Looking forward to seeing your work.

Interesting point here- while Cpl Boneca was loudly noted by the media as being a reservist, there's nothing of the sort for Cpl Warren, who, by virtue of being with the Black Watch, would also be one (unless he's RSS, posted- unlikely though- he'd be listed as a member of his home unit, and in any event, it's unlikely that a res unit would let one of its RSS members go on a tour that's led by another area).

I'd be interested in knowing whether this is just an oversight, or if it was something that came out directly by the interviews with Cpl Boneca's family.

In any event, once in theatre, there's no such thing as reg/ res anymore- just soldiers.

I've been working for some time now on getting off the ground a story on how reservists are being trained for the Afghan mission, this all started with a conversation I had with an officer at Ottawa airport back in the winter.  I'm pitching it to my management again as I think it is very relevant given the events of the last few weeks and would go a long way to despel any myths about soldiers going to Afghanistan "unprepared".  I can only make suggestions, management always has the last word on these things....

Mud said:
I've been working for some time now on getting off the ground a story on how reservists are being trained for the Afghan mission, this all started with a conversation I had with an officer at Ottawa airport back in the winter.  I'm pitching it to my management again as I think it is very relevant given the events of the last few weeks and would go a long way to despel any myths about soldiers going to Afghanistan "unprepared".  I can only make suggestions, management always has the last word on these things....

I should think, in light of the controversy around Cpl Boneca, there would be an interest by both the media and the public.

Mud said:

Unless you go the Micheal Yon route and become an independent blog journalist. Maybe not an option for you, but something to think about.

Tagging along with a bunch of reservists during work up for 3 months would give you a good idea of what goes on.

Three months would be great, in a perfect world.  Believe me I would really like to follow someone getting ready for deployment for that length of time a get elements from the whole story to work with, but that's documentary, not news.  It's just the logistical reality of it - but it looks like management is biting this time.  Call me an idealist but I have high hopes for this piece, I'm  determined to get across what motivates a reservist to go to a place like Afghanistan and that they are well prepared to go.

Well to be fair those reporters imbedded overseas's aren't doing a documentary.  By watching them for that amount of time you get to potentially see them raw and what goes into making them rock hard.  Just a thought.  If time is a constraint then I definately suggest the Wainwright exercise.

What's the Wainright excercise?  I may be able to arrange that (I'm totally sibject to what my boss and DND will allow)....

The Wainwright Ex is about 3 weeks in duration and is basically the validation of the Battle Group.  During those 3 weeks the BG goes through various scenario's that previous BG's have experienced in theatre already as well as other one's.  They also do some live fire ranges that you would enjoy.  I'm not sure how you would go about getting aboard but there are various pers here that could direct you better then me such as Gunner and Teddy Ruxpin.

Mud: try contacting the Public Affairs office of the Land Force Area HQ in your part of the country. The HQs are:

Land Force Western : Edmonton

Land Force Central: Toronto

Secteur de l'Est: Montreal

Land Force Atlantic: Halifax.

These would be good entry points to the Army Public Affairs system. If you explain what you are trying to do, and why, the PAO might be willing to make a recommendation to their Area commander that you be allowed to participate. The decision would be taken by the commander, not the PAO. If you are approved, then you would be put into direct contact with the PAO of the force that is undergoing training. They would coordinate your involvement. There is more to it than this, but that gives you a simple overview.

As a former Reservist myself, I wish you success. Canadians (and some people in the RegF) are waking up to realize that Army Reservists are not 'big cadets' but are an important part of our Army. They can fight and die just like us Regulars.  I hope you get a chance to tell the story.

Cheers

Back