• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Response's To "Ruxted On The Media's Handling Of Cpl. Boneca's Death"

No he/she is not the same person , still from a media outlet though....

SetBax,

Please don't embarrass your profession any more than the last guy. Please read the editorial and then this thread from start to finish. When you are done that then come back with something.....

Thanks for the advice, bud.
You should be embarassed for shutting that guy out of the discussion. Our whole purpose for being over there in the first place is to protect free speech, to protect a free press - which includes settings like this forum. Seems you lot are only interested in hearing people that agree with you.
Lemme guess: the irony escapes you.

Not at all, I refer to my post here....http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/47110/post-410535.html#msg410535

So what would be wrong with this scenario?

SetBax said:
Why are you all so down on the media?

I'll answer this with my own opinion.

I don't approve of the media hounding the grieving families of our war heroes.

This family has lost someone very dear to them. he was not only a soldier and a friend, but also the only child of Mr and Mrs Boneca.
Does the media have any respect for them during this time?
Why can they not leave them alone, and leave this topic alone, to allow this family to grieve their sudden and very tragic loss?
Do they not have a heart? Compassion? Empathy?
Would they appreciate the same behaviour on them, that they are exhibiting towards these grieving families?

Doubt it.

YES, that one

and also "Mr. Free Press"....my name is right there....where is yours and Mr. Anonn's?

Wow. Unsubstantiated opinion? Less than credible sources? These were people who knew him and communicated with him often. His best friend, for example. Have you guys even read the newspaper reports, or are you just reading each other's quotes? The Ottawa Citizen had  emails Tony wrote to family and friends. That's first-hand information.

Since Global is posting, perhaps a response is in order.  SetBax obviously hasn't bothered at all to read the criticisms of the media contained within this thread or the original editorial.  The fact that some "close" to the family made statements is one thing.  The fact (and it is a fact) that the vast majority of the media picked them up and didn't bother to provide any background information or check on their veracity is quite another.  Read my original questions on this thread.

The media appears to be too lazy or indifferent to the facts to do proper research and/or background reading prior to launching an ill-timed assault designed to generate additional controversy.  Simply because a girlfriend's father launches into a diatribe (or several diatribes) on national TV doesn't make him correct and certainly doesn't provide all the facts.  Yet, despite the suspect source, the media immediately assumed that the accusations were indicative of greater problems in theatre, with reservists, and with Army training in general.  It forced the immediate family to issue a statement, something which I suspect they were loathe to do in the midst of their grief.  

FYI, SetBax, I've followed this controversy quite closely and have read/watched much of what's come out.  I was literally shouting at the TV the first night, an indication of how offended I was at how the media has covered this death.

TR, out.

I see you have still not filled out your profile.  This is a private forum owned by one person who can do whatever the hell he wants.  I'm not suggesting he shut this clown down but he can do whatever he wants because it is a PRIVATE forum.

SetBax said:
You should be embarassed for shutting that guy out of the discussion. Our whole purpose for being over there in the first place is to protect free speech, to protect a free press - which includes settings like this forum. Seems you lot are only interested in hearing people that agree with you.

The main thrust of our argument is that the media jump to conclusions hastily without checking facts.

It's been stated many times in this thread that we support free speech. I guess you were in too much of a hurry to check your facts.

Lots of irony in that.

SetBax said:

Don't be patronizing and two faced. It's unbecoming and childish.

annon223 got banned for being a troll. It wasn't discussing nor being outspoken and controversial. It was being a smartmouth pest. It was treated the way it was acting, like a petulant child sent to it's room.

BM: This couldn't wait because our media is an institution that thrives on immediacy. Media products are also consumer products, bought and sold, a fact that seems to have many of you in a tizzy.
I think the majority of the public really cares when a young soldier like Cpl. Boneca dies in the line of duty. Because in a way, he died for all of us. That's really sad.
That also makes his life and death subject of public discussion and hence subject to immediate commentary by the media. People want to know that stuff. And for the most part, I think the families and friends want people to know. Cpl Boneca was a popular young man, generous, athletic and kind-hearted.
You read it in the National Post and I suspect if you went to the local Tim Horton's in TBay you would have learned it there too.
Many of the media stories pay tribute to his life. The fact that the media reported some of his doubts about the mission seems to upset many of you. Get over it.  :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn:

Were not upset that the media doubted the mission, we are upset that they ran with comments from his girlfriends dad vice his soldier buddies and immediate family (ie father, mother etc.)

And they ran with the comments because they were exactly what the media was after - controversial and muck-raking.

Quote,
The fact that the media reported some of his doubts about the mission seems to upset many of you. Get over it.

You condescending little stooge. [ Sorry Curly, Larry and Moe] Now that some of his section mates and HIS OWN FATHER have said otherwise you still are too arrogant to get the picture. This, if true, would still have been news two days later and spared his family, friends and all of Canada a lot of grief. I guess its too much for you though to understand comradeship at its highest though......I pity you.

You and annon just don't get it... it is the issue of sensationalizing the issue, not reporting it, that we have a problem with. Whoever gives the juiciest soundbite gets the airtime or headline, to hell with being balanced and professional, checking facts or investigating the issue would take time and effort, there's ratings to be had eh! Well done!

SetBax said:
BM: This couldn't wait because our media is an institution that thrives on immediacy. Media products are also consumer products, bought and sold, a fact that seems to have many of you in a tizzy.
I think the majority of the public really cares when a young soldier like Cpl. Boneca dies in the line of duty. Because in a way, he died for all of us. That's really sad.
That also makes his life and death subject of public discussion and hence subject to immediate commentary by the media. People want to know that stuff. And for the most part, I think the families and friends want people to know. Cpl Boneca was a popular young man, generous, athletic and kind-hearted.
You read it in the National Post and I suspect if you went to the local Tim Horton's in TBay you would have learned it there too.
Many of the media stories pay tribute to his life. The fact that the media reported some of his doubts about the mission seems to upset many of you. Get over it.  :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn:

Thrives on immediacy. Agreed. Maybe once upon a time the media thrived on accuracy. That's one problem.

Media are also consumer products. OK, fine. Also watchdogs of democracy, fine. But when ratings become more important, or dare I say FAR more important than ethics or accuracy, we're in trouble. Has me in a tizzy, yes it does. Pity it doesn't seem to faze you.

The fact that the media reported that he was not trained (factually wrong) not aware that he was not peacekeeping (factually wrong) and used language like 'brushed off' when facts were presented is an old story.
Irresponsible crap like that over time has grave repercussions both for national institutions and individuals.
"Hey, we got our facts totally wrong, caused grievous pain to his parents, besmirched the CF's training, and cast doubts on what he stood for. Get over it."
Nice attitude.

Like I have said before, you have an important role to play keeping public institutions in check.
But you sound like a cowboy selling vacuum cleaners. It's a product. Right, wrong, get over it.
Glad you're not a doctor.

Bruce,

Don't get to upset. The attitude they portray is to be expected of people who's only loyalty is to themselves and their paycheck. They've never known what it's truly like to serve anything but themselves and their wallet.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Quote,
The fact that the media reported some of his doubts about the mission seems to upset many of you. Get over it.

You condescending little stooge. [ Sorry Curly, Larry and Moe] Now that some of his section mates and HIS OWN FATHER have said otherwise you still are too arrogant to get the picture. This, if true, would still have been news two days later and spared his family, friends and all of Canada a lot of grief. I guess its too much for you though to understand comradeship at its highest though......I pity you.

Keep your pity, bud. And oooh, easy on the name-calling. That stuff hurts.
Read the lad's emails. They're out there, easy to get. In his own words.
This is how it stands: you've got competing versions of Cpl. Boneca's frame of mind. Both of them are out there - Cpl. Boneca's words and those of his father. Can't shut either of them down, like you did to that anon fella ...
Anyway, been a pleasure chatting with you guys. Can you please ban me now? I want to know what it feels like to live under a totalitarian regime, where only one opinion - the dominant opinion - is allowed to survive.
Please? Pretty please?

Back