• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Response's To "Ruxted On The Media's Handling Of Cpl. Boneca's Death"

I think the editorial sums up most people's feelings on this site. How we individually express our feelings, is accurately portrayed in the Editorial.  :salute:  :cdn:

Well written.

My quarrel is not with the family, this just may be there way of accepting and grieving of their loss.  My quarrel is with with the media for profiting off a very controversial story of a soldier who can no longer defend himself and his words.

Cpl Boneca was serving his second tour in support of the mission to Afghanistan. This tells me that this fine soldier felt strongly enough about the mission, that he believed his service to the people of Afghanistan was sufficiently worthwhile, that he volunteered twice for hazardous duty. Hardly the actions of a man who felt he was being mistreated, or that he was duped. We may never know how Cpl Boneca truly felt. But, regardless of Cpl Boneca's personal feelings towards the end of his second tour, he died in the service of his nation. He died a soldier doing his duty, trying to make a difference in a foreign country, and thereby, make his own safer. He died a hero. His memory must be honoured, his sacrifice never forgotten, his life celebrated.

I  hope that in future, upon reading this thread and the editorial that spawned it, the media will give more consideration to simple, common decency and less towards sensationalism for political reasons, or to sell advertising space. Careless and callous articles, such as those being bandied about by these vultures, merely add to a fallen soldier’s family's already sizeable grief. Those that seek to score political points, or to improve their marketing or publicity, on the death of a soldier should be ashamed of themselves as they tarnish the sacrifice of a brave Canadian soldier.

The media’s current feeding-frenzy of speculation is akin to that of jackals over carrion, and it is despicable. I would ask that the media cease this unbecoming behaviour, and allow Cpl Boneca's family, friends, and fellow service members to grieve over the loss of their loved one in peace, and to stop using the loss of a fine soldier to fuel what appears to be an attempt to further a political agenda.

For shame.

A post at "The Torch":

" Death in Afghanistan: The media scent blood"
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2006/07/death-in-afghanistan-media-scent-blood.html

Mark
Ottawa

Too bad.  You know, this soldier died in service of his country.  The media turning this into a political or sensational piece is disgusting.  Even if he was disillusioned with his tour, even if he was unhappy with the military he earned the right to make that call.  He was there, doing his job as a soldier and made the ultimate sacrifice.  That should be the focus.  His life as a soldier and the deeds he did, not what he might have said, or more ,what the media says he might have said.

:salute:
corporal boneca will forever be a hero, to the people that knew him and loved him, as well as to his country -  regardless of the media circus surrounding his tragic demise. those who knew tony ( i am one of those fortunate souls that did know him) knew very well months ago that going to afghanistan was something he felt he had to do. we also knew it was to be his last tour.........but he felt that this last tour was extremely important and extremely neccessary. the bottom line is that tony WANTED to do this.....and he knew the risks involved. the media has been harping about canadian troops being involved from the get go, and it is very unfortunate that they don't possess the simple human decency of letting tony's family, and his girlfriend and her family grieve. how dare they use this tragedy to fuel their fire?? it almost makes me ashamed to be canadian. tony was an incredible human being. he did not need to wear any kind of uniform to be a hero.............he already was one to many people. that he chose to serve his country in this way only amplifies that. tony will be sorely missed, but forever in our hearts.

i think alot of the soldiers have the same feelings , and most of you hear don't hear about the truth of whats going on! i just seen the news about what he said to his parents and you know what alot of guys have the same feeling. I Do! and thats why i am home! i feel so said for the Cpl its unreally that if he was given the chance to go home and he was not given permission and now hes dead! makes me wonder how certain people can sleep with themselves at night!

What do you Need to know? Since people need another persons account of whats wrong over there? You ask the question and i will answer.

silentbutdeadly! said:
i think alot of the soldiers have the same feelings , and most of you hear don't hear about the truth of whats going on! i just seen the news about what he said to his parents and you know what alot of guys have the same feeling. I Do! and thats why i am home! i feel so said for the Cpl its unreally that if he was given the chance to go home and he was not given permission and now hes dead! makes me wonder how certain people can sleep with themselves at night!

Did you get sent home?

i got sent home due to Combat Stress , when your not sleeping for like 6 days str8 because your out in the hills for 35 days on 3 days off. i was told to go in to camp and then send home

Look: This young soldier was what? 21? Well OF COURSE he was sick and tired of being away from home. For crying out loud, he was 21! OF COURSE he wanted to get the hell out of there. I can tell you that there is probably not a soldier alive who, when in the "wind-down" of a deployment, can't wait to get home to their family and friends (it always seems like forever, when there are only a couple of weeks left). Yet the media seems to take this as something new? They are taking this (his "alleged" statements) completely entire this out of context (assuming that they were accurately reported). In my opinion that young lad sounded like every other soldier I have seen on deployment in that he just wanted to get his tour over and done with, and get back to the land of beer and pizza. The media however, assumes "what he really meant was......." blah, blah, blah....

I guess some news agencies will always pick and choose what they report, and how they will report it, in order to put their own personal slant on things.

I really enjoy the Ruxted articles. They write almost as well as I do :)

With regards to what this guy may have said, you know what people talk shit.  People have bad days and bad weeks and they bitch about it. The number one way to get ride of stress is bitching about whats going on. Sometimes it's meaningful, most of the time it isn't.

If I was living in the mountians for 5 months eating rations smelling stinky guys dodging scorpians I'd say a LOT of stuff I don't mean.  My heart goes out to the family. Rehashing some of what this soldier said to the media was probably a bad idea. (No, it was) but like it was mentioned, who can blame them. God forbid if the media get anywhere near my dad!

I'm certain this soldier would have been home for all of 5 minutes before missing his brothers and wishing he was back with them.
People talk shit when their stressed and they vent.  "Don't mean nothing"

Edit: Sorry to hear you bad a bad go. You're obviously in a great position to comment on the situation. You must agree how messed up things would become if we sent guys home on will?  It's unfortinuate our guys (you guys) have to stay even when all you want to do is come home but if you guys weren't out in the shit keeping the enemy away from the gates whos going to stop them from comming through them?

silentbutdeadly! said:
i got sent home due to Combat Stress , when your not sleeping for like 6 days str8 because your out in the hills for 35 days on 3 days off. i was told to go in to camp and then send home

I remember you now. I hear you had a tough go of things. Welcome home, and thank you for great work. Try and relax, okay?

LCIS-Tech said:
..... Yet the media seems to take this as something new? They are taking this (his "alleged" statements) completely entire this out of context (assuming that they were accurately reported). In my opinion that young lad sounded like every other soldier I have seen on deployment in that he just wanted to get his tour over and done with, and get back to the land of beer and pizza. The media however, assumes "what he really meant was......." blah, blah, blah....
I guess some news agencies will always pick and choose what they report, and how they will report it, in order to put their own personal slant on things.

First off, they are not reporting what "He Said", they are reporting what "His Girlfriend's FATHER Said".  A whole different ballgame there.  It is Third Hand or even Fourth Hand "Speculation" which would be unbelievable in all other circles.  Please pay attention to detail.

First off, they are not reporting what "He Said", they are reporting what "His Girlfriend's FATHER Said". 

Exactly!

i just had a phone interview with a newspaper. Went well, very nice guy.  I refused to give my exact departure date citing security reasons whch seemed to annoy him somewhat. Asked if he could call my parents, I said sure. He turned around and asked them for my departure date knowing full well I didn't want it to be known.

If the media don't get what they want from you they will find someone who will give it to them.

Back