• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservists going on TF 2-08

Snowy91

Inactive
Reaction score
I am an infantry reservist looking to go on tour. 

I found this site:
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lfca/JTF(C)+LFCA/Task_Force_Information.pdf

I was wondering if anyone has any information on TF 2-08 (3RCR) anything involving which brigades are going on this tour, what qualifications are needed and how many reservists they need would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

We were told were not going over till Aug 08 but by the looks of that it says we going in Feb 08 This is legit? or are our higher ups just not telling us that we got bumped up yet?

TF 4-08 is leaving Aug 08 they could have been refering to that tour.  If anyone has a grip on this topic and could provide some details it would be greatly appreciated

Things have changed since that poster came out. Especially since some reservists on TF-02-07 did not deploy nor get work past Aug 06.

Odd numbered TF are the ones going oversea's with Reserve augmentation.

Even Numbered TF will be a High Readiness but with Reg's only.

I would suggest you see you OPS WO and/or Chain of Command to get the latest correct information.

That's what i thought, 3 RCR was told were going in Aug, so That's good. At least we get to go to Florida in Feb  8)

My CO announced to us that there would be a company of LFCA soldiers deploying in 08 and he said we would know in may 07 wheither we get on it or not so I just assumed it was TF 2-08.  Has anyone else heard about LFCA sending reservists on upcoming tours?

Snowy just to clarify because I think you might be confused. As stated earlier even number task forces i.e. 2-08 are NOT deploying task forces. They are a stand by/contingency task force. People may be pulled to fill the deploying task force i.e. the even number 1-08 but I know from the experiences of some troops on 2-07 they are sent home with no employment. Do NOT expect to deploy if you are on an even number task force.

I'll ask my section commander which specific Task Force they were offering before I ask for information on it again.  Thanks I think I understand the standby Task Force concept now.  I really didn't know there was different variations, I didn't know much about tours at all and I'm glad I now have somewhat of an idea on how it works.  I'll post again or search when I know which TF we were offered to put our names in for.   

TF 1-08 is coming, apparently solely, from LFWA so basically it's either TF 3-08 or a standby.

I didn't know there was a TF 3-08 is that LFCA? If so that must be it

I have no idea if its LFCA but each year (until 2009 that is) there are two deploying TF's a number 1 and a number 3. If its from LFCA then that might be it, but it could also be a standby task force.

Okay I'll ask my section commander more details now that I know the process thank you for giving me an idea.

TF3-08 is 3RCR don't quote me on this but I'm guessing this is the one that will be taking reservists

From those I've talked to their units [in LFCA] have been taking names of those interested. Some units apparantely have been given their number of slots for 3-08 although I can't confirm any of that, just word of mouth. I was told be prepared for workup anywhere from September 07 or earlier for the rifle coys but again, just units preparing in the event of. Nothing confirmed, no pre-training date, no deployment date, all pre-emptive planning I believe.

I really want to go overseas on one of the next few rotations, but why shoudl I take the next three semesters off of school go on TF 2-08 when I'll get stood down and not even get the year-long employment I was expecting?

What is the actual contract given to reservists when going on tour?

In general from my experience on 1-06 you will get 3 or 4 separate  contracts/dates. We were give 1 Cl B contract up to a certain portion of workup trg (not sure if they still do this), we were then given a Cl C contract for the remainder of workup (approx 3months). We were then given our "tour" contract, taking us through the length of our deployment. Then upon returning home we were given our leave.

To be perfectly clear aside from the switch from Cl B to Cl C it is all one contract with the end dates of the contract amended. From my understanding the reason it is done this way is because  a) allows you to pull out before deploying for whatever reason and b) if for whatever reason your performance is not up to par during work up, you can be let go without having to pay you out, or make work for you.

I have no experience with how I standby TF works but from my understanding after mounting you go through workup etc, then if a decision is made to deploy you deploy or if not you are let go, however the reg force remains in a higher state of readiness. This is my rough understanding of how this works so I could be very far off base, someone more knowledgeable can most likely set me straight.

Thing to not forget, as was mentioned in previous topics, all 2nd line task forces, namely 2-7, 4-7, 2-8, 4-8 and on are no more.  The last ones were 2-6 and 4-6, which did not deploy, except some elements of 4-6 to re-inforce in Afghanistan.  As far as I know, only 1 and 3-7 and 1 and 3-8 are still up and running.  But 2nd line TF's have been dropped.

Wow, that was a very useful peice of information (2nd line TF's being dropped) I'll definately keep that in mind when I'm on dnd sites that have yet to be updated.

Back