• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves Enrollment questions

C-Irv

Inactive
Reaction score
A couple of quick questions (I may add a couple more tomorrow, but this will do for now):

I'm thinking of joining the reserves as a DEO. In my time reading the different units websites, all of them list a minimum condition for enrollment. They all seem to be the same, one training per month, and one parade per month. I was just wondering if there was also a maximum.

I've made the assumption that trainings and parades happen 4 times per month (on all eligible days, for instance every Wednesday) is this correct, and if so, is it encouraged to attend all of them?

Thanks for any responses.
Also, to save the trouble of those who will ask, yes I did try the search function. Yes I did try google.

C-Irv said:
A couple of quick questions (I may add a couple more tomorrow, but this will do for now):

I'm thinking of joining the reserves as a DEO.

In what occupation? DEO is not an MOC by itself.

In my time reading the different units websites, all of them list a minimum condition for enrollment. They all seem to be the same, one training per month, and one parade per month. I was just wondering if there was also a maximum.

I thing you've combined enrollment with service. There are minimum standards for enrollment which are separate from the expectations of service.

I've made the assumption that trainings and parades happen 4 times per month (on all eligible days, for instance every Wednesday) is this correct, and if so, is it encouraged to attend all of them?

Yes, you're encouraged to attend every night you're available for.

Thanks for any responses.
Also, to save the trouble of those who will ask, yes I did try the search function. Yes I did try google.

You're welcome.

I assumed the answers would be the same regardless of MOC. I would like to do infantry.

I was basing the wording off the QOR of C recruitment page "In order to meet the minimum conditions of enrolment, an individual must participate in training at least once a month, usually a weekend, as well as attend one Wednesday night parade, per month." but thanks for the clarification.

And thank you for the answers as well.

That "minimum conditions of enrolment" is based on the administrative limitation that a soldier who misses all unit training within a month (without authorization to be absent) will be considered Non-Effective and this can lead to an automatic release process, or a recommendation for release if it is a repetitive occurrence.

Attending that minimum amount, however, can have other ramifications. For example, there is annual refresher training conducted by all units (the Individual Battle Task Standards (IBTS)) which require that a soldier or officer attend enough of those planned training events to complete the required training when it is scheduled. Failing to complete IBTS requirements in a given training year may also be grounds for a review of one's service and if not resolved may lead to counseling that continued service with the unit is not advisable.

Maximum opportunities to 'parade' (i.e., sign in for work) is dependent upon work being available and offered to you. For some, that may be seldom outside of scheduled training because they just don't match the available work, for others (usually a minority within any unit) it may be considerably more with opportunities coming from both inside and outside the unit. These, however, are never predictable for time, place or duration.

Thanks for the answers. I have one more question now, based on some of the things I've read on these forums.

I understand that reserves do bmq with their units, and bmoq courses get attached to the units bmq course. A few times though, I have seen members here mention that there were a couple of reserves with them at their platoons at cflrs in St Jean. I was wondering if anyone knew reasons this might happen. Would it be based on the resources of the unit? Would a potential recruit (ncm or deo both) be able to make a request to train at St Jean? Or perhaps I just misunderstood entirely.

Once again, any input is greatly appreciated. 

C-Irv said:
Thanks for the answers. I have one more question now, based on some of the things I've read on these forums.

I understand that reserves do bmq with their units, and bmoq courses get attached to the units bmq course. A few times though, I have seen members here mention that there were a couple of reserves with them at their platoons at cflrs in St Jean. I was wondering if anyone knew reasons this might happen. Would it be based on the resources of the unit? Would a potential recruit (ncm or deo both) be able to make a request to train at St Jean? Or perhaps I just misunderstood entirely.

Once again, any input is greatly appreciated.
Although I've heard of people on here make claims that reservists have done reg BMQ in Quebec, I've never personally seen or observed that occur.

Your options for BMQ would be weekends, or sometimes in one chunk often during the summertime. The duration of BMQ and some of the contents do vary from reserve to reg force, so they are not quite the same.

C-Irv said:
A few times though, I have seen members here mention that there were a couple of reserves with them at their platoons at cflrs in St Jean. I was wondering if anyone knew reasons this might happen.

Members of the Naval Reserve do the full-time BMQ (13 weeks, or however long it is now) and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them went to St.-Jean.  They all went there before they started doing BMQ courses at CFB Borden.

Nauticus said:
Although I've heard of people on here make claims that reservists have done reg BMQ in Quebec, I've never personally seen or observed that occur.

It occurs all the time, actually.  Air reservists like myself do all reg force training, wherever that trg is being offered (St. Jean being the most popular unit for basic trg at the moment, although I did mine at NRTD Borden while they were still running reg force BMQ there...pre-cutbacks). 

I'm also a clerk and have personally booked flights and processed claims for reserve members from my unit going to Quebec for their BMQ or BMOQ trg.  You may not even know that people on your platoon are reservists if they don't come right out and tell you, but I can assure you that they are there. 

Naval reservists have their own training at their own designated trg units.  As someone else on here already said, naval reservists do full BMQ as well.  As far as I know, army reservists are the only ones who do BMQ on weekends and not in St. Jean, QC.

Back