• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves and the RCMP (and Other Civilian Police)

Recceguy

"noneck,

Maybe the hangup isn't with DND. Maybe it's the RCMP hierarchy that doesn't want it. Just a thought
."

It's definitely not the RCMP that takes issue with this. We have the support of Pacific Region (BC and the Yukon) Commanding Officer D/Comm Busson on this issue. The Commissioner was presented with a briefing on it  about a year ago and has not raised any objections either. :salute:

A guy i work with the other day said since i wanted to be in the military and be a police officer i should consider a muni force and they would give me the time off to be in the reserves. I was just curious if that is possible at all. I'm not interested at this point because i want to be in the rcmp and due to moving around i doubt that it is possible to be in the reserves... but I ask the question anyway just so i know..... and just incase some day some asks  a similiar  question. Thanks guys.

yes, i know of a few members who are in Municipal Police Dept. as well as the Reserves, Im really not sure about the RCMP though. Im sure you could transfer between units if your posting changed, but thats a lot of paper trailing and hassle.

I am sure that you found the Topic here that covers that topic in relative long detail?  I will give you the abridged version.  No, RCMP officers can not be members of the Reserves.  Other Police officers can.

See these two topics for more, if you doubt me:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/27161.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/110.0.html

There are a lot of rumours out there concerning the RCMP and PRes service. At this time RCMP members are prohibited from serving in the PRes under the QR&O's.

Myself and another member of the RCMP have been working on this issue for 6 years and have recently made headway with regards to DND changing the QR&O's for RCMP members.

DND (The CDS) has agreed to ammend the policy, and  ADM HR (Mil) is presently working on it, in conjunction with the RCMP. Ammendments to national policy don't happen over night, however it is refreshing to know that the system does work.  As you can well imagine there are numerous details that need to be sorted out and agreed upon.

The ammendment is forecasted to  come into play later this year. Once it has been made I will be sure to post on this means in order to get the word out.

Cheers
Noneck

George Wallace said:
I think the answer has already been given in a previous post; that unlike other Police Forces in Canada, the RCMP are considered a Paramilitary Force, and as such its' members are not allowed to be in two "military forces" at the same time.  Exceptions would probably be made if it was in the performance of their duties and they were undercover.  Both RCMP and DND are paid by the Crown, where as other Forces are paid by the Municipality or Province.  Perhaps the matters of a conflict of interest and "double dipping" come into the picture also.

What the Rules and Regulations state are what we have to abide by.

GW
If its double dipping then that would rule out Members as CIC as they are still paid. I think it still goes back to who will have seniority if and when a National Emergency happens.

In regards to Crown Loyal's question of us muni's being allowed to join the CF Reserves the answer is yes. There is nothing baring a municipal Police Officer from enrolling. As a matter of fact several of our members of the VPD are in the reserves.

Also of interesting note, the RCMP formed up as the bulk of the 1CMR (1st Canadian Mounted Rifles) in the 8th Brigade / 3rd Canadian Division.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything new in regards to RCMP members being able to serve in the Reserves??  Sounds like Noneck was making some progress on this.

Mark,

Can you provide us with an update on this topic, since you're the forum SME on this subject? I think that now, more than ever, former Reservists, now RCMP could make contributions on policing AND military activities in some of our mission areas. Reservists bring alot of experience to the units they serve with, so why should law and order be any different?

Mark, I am almost home....Made it through alright, hoping to see you, Dean and the rest of the old codgers sometime soon. Please PM me when you get a chance.

TM

Cst77 PM sent.

The issue and the ammendment to the QR&O is moving ahead. This is a resolution that's been a long time in the making and I don't want to jinx all the work done on it at this late juncture. So I hope you all appreciate if I don't post more details on this forum, instead I will attempt to clarify the issue if you PM me. All I can say is think winter dress!! All those interested PM me.

TM glad to hear you made it through unscathed, will send a PM asap.

Cheers
Noneck

I placed a question on General Tabbernor's  Town Hall website forum, as I had not had any feedback from Ottawa in some time.

This is the reply that I received:
An agreement has been reached between the RCMP and the CF that will allow RCMP members to serve as reservists in any occupation other than as Military Police. The changes to QR&O have been drafted and are being passed for approval, which is ultimately done by the Privy Council.
There will probably be a CANFORGEN with the new authority published by the spring of 2007.
EE

It's been a long six years but it looks like it is finally coming to fruition.
Cheers
Noneck

Noneck,

I am stunned. This is a great coup and a good example of what one person (with alittle back up) can do if they believe they are right. I know that you've been working on this a very long time, so well done! The RQ should have an MMM ready for you on arrival...

BZ

Looking forward to seeing you there. Don't forget to bring some of your buddies along. We'll have donuts in the recruiting office! (sorry, couldn't resist)

At least three have already been down to the regiment recruiting office and received referral letters to CFRC. Direction from Ottawa was that members could enter the recruiting process to a point just short of being sworn in.

There are also a few other fence sitters who are unwilling to intiate the process until it is written in stone and it has achieved official sanction. All in all I expect it to be a win win situation for both organizations.

If we get enough folks, you could call it Timmy's Platoon. ;D

Noneck

Noneck,
Congrats on your victory!

just one question..

Why the exclusion of RCMP from a MP role?

Cheers,

Thanks Piker,
Don't quote me on this but I believe it is contrary to the RCMP Act, as it is a conflict of interest. There are guidelines for secondary employment as well and I think it states that you can't be a member of the RCMP and serve another Law Enforcement Agency. That's fine by me as I wouldn't want to leave my day job to go on do a similar type of role for the army.

Noneck

Sort of like being Prime Minister and a citizen of a foreign country?  Just a little conflict of interest example taken to the extreme.

George Wallace said:
Sort of like being Prime Minister and a citizen of a foreign country?  Just a little conflict of interest example taken to the extreme.

And on CBC tonight he questions why it was such a big deal....he says he's loyal to Canada, so we should just believe him and move on. He also said that if he really, really, really has to he will give up his Canadian Jamacian Cuban French citizenship.

Back