• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Weekend BMQ ( merged )

Gross

Inactive
Reaction score
I was sworn in a couple weeks ago and after being told I'd almost for sure be sent out for BMQ in July, I was recently informed that I would most likely receive weekend training in the fall.

I searched around this forum and the web briefly but came up short of information.
I just was wondering how it differed from full-time summer training.
Another individual who was sworn in the same time as me said a buddy of his took weekend training the year before and said that it was horrible, we were both excited for summer training.

To my opinion, here is what I summarized

pros of weekend BMQ
weekend so even if you are tired...you will be home on sunday
you have a chance to do it during the year (autumn and or winter)
you have a less stress to my opinion then full time
you will possibly do it with people of your unit mostly

cons of weekend
11 week end...if you have a life...its hell
PT cannot be as big a summer because instructors cannot follow you home
I think the stuff to be teached is perhaps a little pushed down or throat cause we don't have that same amount of time

pro summer
4 weeks total (which could be a con if you have a life or a job)
more time to put on PT
summer temperature
the fact you will be doing BMQ on a base to my opinion is good
the fact that in a 4 week period you will develop much more friendship with you platoon buddy

con summer
4 week total (problem if you have a civvy job or a civvy life)
chance that you Will also do trade course is like not to happen
the heat (sometime in Valcartier it is hot and humid as hell)
the fact that you will work with people from a lot more unit then week end (on most case at least)

Those are the things i can think of a this time....if you have any questions I'm not a Pro, just did BMQ ...so..hope it helped

Yeah I figured about the same

Out of curiosity, which did you do?

I did mine about a year ago on weekend. It was better becasue

I wasn't bored for the weekend
It still was very easy but tougher than the summer one
Able to brag to friends that I'am in the Army
More time off in the summer to travel
And most importantly you get it out of the way quicker

the bad part I broke up with two girlfriends that I had over my commitment to the Army. I guess thats the worst part your full commitment to the Army no matter what situations you have to deal with relationships, school work etc.

And also I did my rifle test in the winter and slept for two weekends outside for survival course. I only got 20/25 on my rifle test because it was -25 outside and I was freezing my balls off.

Chain said:
and slept for two weekends outside for survival course.

Survival course ?

I think not......

Basic winter warfare course most likely

nope I think, He wanted to talk about the Field part of the BMQ, which is, tent, some map and compass practice and stuff like this...no survival.

Sorry I did accidently say survival. Apologize if I caused confusion.

Chain said:
I did mine about a year ago on weekend. It was better becasue

I wasn't bored for the weekend
More time off in the summer to travel
And most importantly you get it out of the way quicker

the bad part I broke up with two girlfriends that I had over my commitment to the Army. I guess thats the worst part your full commitment to the Army no matter what situations you have to deal with relationships, school work etc.

And also I did my rifle test in the winter and slept for two weekends outside for survival course. I only got 20/25 on my rifle test because it was -25 outside and I was freezing my balls off.

And you want to join the Legion?  ::)

No I do want to I mean its not like I was complaining right but you know juggling School, Relationships,Army, family that is not as easy. In the Legion it would only be the Legion and all its concerns thats it. As a matter of fact I got interested more in the Legion after that winter exercise cause I enjoyed the hardship and espirt de corp that came with the Military life. No were near are the reserves to the Legion in terms of anything but I mean I'am young and reckless so why not 5 years after college?

Chain said:

Are you sure you're in for the good reasons??

Chain said:

Looks like excuses to me... 

Max

I just think I could have done better if the weather was nicer but maybe not I don't know. Its not an excuse

You could have done better...possibly...

Relax..it was the first time you used the weapon, first experience...as you will have time to be less stressed out, you will possibly do better.

Every one could do better in a matter of things. I, for example could do better with my Physical shape... and I'm working on it.

You passed, then every thing is OK. you wont get a pay raise because you did more or less better on your first shooting range exercise.

It is after all a familiarisation exercise.

Hmmm... speaking about weekend courses I was wondering if anyone knows when are they likely to start this year (specially in BC)? Also, reading older threads I noticed that some members have mentioned some 2 block weekend BMQ courses during the fall, do these still exist? and if they do how are they distributed throughout the year? Thank you

Falange said:
Hmmm... speaking about weekend courses I was wondering if anyone knows when are they likely to start this year (specially in BC)? Also, reading older threads I noticed that some members have mentioned some 2 block weekend BMQ courses during the fall, do these still exist? and if they do how are they distributed throughout the year? Thank you

Course usually starts end Oct. Early Nov.

Chain,

Your whole thing about juggling school and blah blah blah?

I did full time university and full time class B, with a 9er that was working her behind off in getting into Med School. I pulled out just fine. Sounds like you need to plan better. Also, your rifle score? It's not THAT bad. But, regardless of environment, you should be able to employ your weapon effectively.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Chain said:

Curious...how would you know it's tougher than the summer one if that's not that one you did? I did a summer BMQ/SQ and I can tell you it's not just physically stressful, but very stressful mentally being away from home, your life, your friends, your girlfriend. Many people didn't stay for the entire course, they just took the BMQ and ditched out. Imagine sleeping at 11 (if you're lucky and have everything done by then), and waking up at 5 in the morning for two months rather than two nights.

From everyone I've talked to and heard from, weekend has never been tougher than the summer.

I would tend to agree with Phil.n, even if I did not do MY SQ yet (I'm thinking of asking to do my SQ full time with regs)

2 nights and then you are home....this is to my opinion much less stressfull..

As for when the weekend BMQ for BC will be starting up.I saw the coarse list on Wednesday night.And for the lower mainland, it runs from Jan 08-May 08.Unfortunately they don't have enought NCO's to run all the coarses.So they are running some leadership coarses first in the fall,then will start on BMQ and SQ.
It will be held at the BC regiment downtown. :salute:

dutchie936 said:
As for when the weekend BMQ for BC will be starting up.I saw the coarse course list on Wednesday night.And for the lower mainland, it runs from Jan 08-May 08.Unfortunately they don't have enought enough NCO's to run all the coarses courses.So they are running some leadership coarses courses first in the fall,then will start on BMQ and SQ.
It will be held at the BC regiment downtown. :salute:

Sorry being picky but please note the spelling mistakes  ;) use the spell check next time

Back