• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Units in Alberta

Closest units (well not that close) seem to be in Edmonton.  :-\

That sucks, I may be forced to release. 3 hours is too long of a drive to and from work for me is just not worth the risk of me falling asleep at the wheel.

Find the Unit in Edmonton you want to transfer to. Explain your situation and agree to go on the Major exercises. This way you can still stay current, not have to get out and not have to drive 6 hrs every week for work.

Another possibility based on some searching, there appears to be a Ranger Patrol near your location, based on this map

grp_map_lg.gif

but I am unsure of how to transfer from PRES/Regs to Ranger.

Alberta/Saskatchewan Ranger Detachment
Location: Bldg 240, 195th Avenue 82nd Street, Edmonton AB, T5J 4J5

Tel: 1-877-973-1214 Fax: (780) 973-1902

Mailing Address:
Alberta Ranger Detachment
4th Canadian Ranger Patrol Group
PO Box 10500 Stn Forces
Edmonton AB, T5J 4J5

As you are apparently a signaller, my suggestion would be for you to talk to the comms types......
745 (Edmonton) Communication Squadron, Debney Armoury 8403 Roper Road
Edmonton, AB T6E 6T5
Phone:780-973-4011 no 2741
Fax: 780-973-1924
They would have a vested interest in retaining their "investment" in you.
They may (or not) have a detachment in your neck of the woods OR know if someone else does.... won't hurt to ask - I guess.

CTD said:
Find the Unit in Edmonton you want to transfer to. Explain your situation and agree to go on the Major exercises. This way you can still stay current, not have to get out and not have to drive 6 hrs every week for work.

Yeah, that wouldn't work in LFCA.... new policy to place people on NES is that you need to attend 50% of all training days in a month. Dunno if that's Army reserve wide or just LFCA being LFCA.

I am going to say if this individual has the training already and is willing to show up for major Exercises because of where they live they will be allowed to. As long as they hold up their end of the deal.

There are always exceptions to the rule and this may just be one.

Or they can say no and loose a valuable asset alltogether. (not a wise choice)

.... It's always better to let the rules & regulations look after the majority AND manage the exceptions.... VS blindly applying the Rs & Rs to all.

Just make sure you don't lose ocntrol on those exceptions - having them creep up until they become the majority

Welcome to the cold weather of Hinton. Hope that one of the Edmonton units will take you on. You just have to ask them the worst they can say is no.

Have a good X mas

The CO of whatever unit you serve with would love to have you come at least once a month, as this has a dramatic implication on the budget he recieves to operate the unit. As others have suggested talk to the leadership on the floor and I am sure you can make arrangements that will satisfy everyone.

Back