• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Training

So we had some information come down that the terms of service for the reserves are changing. It's not going to be one night a week and one weekend a month anymore. Don't know what that means. Has anyone heard anything else?
Keep us in the loop. Very interested in what they plan to do.

So we had some information come down that the terms of service for the reserves are changing. It's not going to be one night a week and one weekend a month anymore. Don't know what that means. Has anyone heard anything else?

I posted this else where but the Army podcast did an interview recently that explains some of the changes, essentially its changing from a once a month to parade a minimum of 10 training events, plus IBTS becomes mandatory each year to complete for a member to be considered active strength. Podcast puts it into better perspective then I can.

It's a change to the minimum requirements, that's all.

I posted this else where but the Army podcast did an interview recently that explains some of the changes, essentially its changing from a once a month to parade a minimum of 10 training events, plus IBTS becomes mandatory each year to complete for a member to be considered active strength. Podcast puts it into better perspective then I can.

It's a change to the minimum requirements, that's all.

Thanks for that!

10 training events equates to about one weekend exercise per month during the normal training year, kind of like what happens already, isn't it? Not sure how that's a big change.

Making an 'IBTS Pass' mandatory is a change, but it's not much pf a change from what normally happens during the first ouple of months of the trainign year, and not a very high bar to leap.

Thanks for that!

10 training events equates to about one weekend exercise per month during the normal training year, kind of like what happens already, isn't it? Not sure how that's a big change.

Making an 'IBTS Pass' mandatory is a change, but it's not much pf a change from what normally happens during the first ouple of months of the trainign year, and not a very high bar to leap

May not seem much yet, but devil will be in the details when they are released. The IBTS markers may be more then what is current.

To be honest, its sounds like a lot of huff and puff to make sure IBTS is done. I also listened to the "big changes" our army commander said were coming. Basically we will make the troops behave and stop talking trash.

F#*$% me, I can't take the army I served for so long very seriously anymore. Its like post Afghanistan, we have become a "play" army.

F#*$% me, I can't take the army I served for so long very seriously anymore. Its like post Afghanistan, we have become a "play" army.
As a US Army Sgt in Vietnam is reputed to have said' "I'll be glad when this f&#king war is over so we can get back to some real soldiering!".

To be honest, its sounds like a lot of huff and puff to make sure IBTS is done. I also listened to the "big changes" our army commander said were coming. Basically we will make the troops behave and stop talking trash.

As you probably know, IBTS is rarely the challenge in making sure that most reservists are ready to deploy anywhere.

Now, if we're talking medical/dental fit, pay sorted out etc etc...

...almost as if solid, reliable admin support needs to be in place, and not torn away for random tasks and left as an afterthought...

Excited Celebration GIF by Slanted Studios

Another major change that they need to do with some of us Class A Reservists and I can only speak for myself in this unique situation. Seeing that some of us Class A Reservists work more than one job, they need to make things easier and "normal" so that Reservists like myself who work multiple jobs can work just the ONE damn job which should be a revolving Class B! That way, it eliminates having to work multiple jobs, in my case unhealthy 12 hour shift work schedules, lack of sleep and the list goes on.

With the current sad state of manning in the Reserves and Military in general, the top brass need to look into this and create some normalcy and better quality of life for (again, I can only speak for myself) for some of us who are working more than one job. And that solution is a revolving permanent Class B contract. You should be able to just re-sign it annually or every 3 years.

And yes, there might be a few places that I doing this for a handful of Reservists, but they need to make it commonplace. This would create and entice some of us Annuitants to stay. This would make too much sense!

Another major change that they need to do with some of us Class A Reservists and I can only speak for myself in this unique situation. Seeing that some of us Class A Reservists work more than one job, they need to make things easier and "normal" so that Reservists like myself who work multiple jobs can work just the ONE damn job which should be a revolving Class B! That way, it eliminates having to work multiple jobs, in my case unhealthy 12 hour shift work schedules, lack of sleep and the list goes on.

With the current sad state of manning in the Reserves and Military in general, the top brass need to look into this and create some normalcy and better quality of life for (again, I can only speak for myself) for some of us who are working more than one job. And that solution is a revolving permanent Class B contract. You should be able to just re-sign it annually or every 3 years.

And yes, there might be a few places that I doing this for a handful of Reservists, but they need to make it commonplace. This would create and entice some of us Annuitants to stay. This would make too much sense!
Class B is meant to be short term, not your career, if you want full time army, put in a CT. Class B is designed to be a short term stop gap to shortage of some kind or for continuous pay while on course.

As to the topic of the reserves, in the pod cast they did touch on medical and dental, but I am skeptical they will implement anything tangible unless they come out with a standard form we take to a doctor and get a physical done.

This is a good point, the reserves and those who support them are designed to fit around the schedule of someone who only worked 9-5 Monday to Friday and has no other commitments on weekends. Part of that is just organizational, "hey we need you to drop everything and do this thing we need to be done this weekend that we should have reasonably known about four months ago." I can speak from experience that it sometimes becomes much more difficult to find a job as a reservist because you are limited to 9-5's, so afternoon shifts are out and potentially night shifts depending on when they start and where they are located. I wonder how many hundreds of people have left because they were tired of both the military and their civilian jobs being mad at them for trying to get time off or not being able to get time off from the others. I remember one time a section competition popped up and we needed to provide people for it the next day and were told that if enough people didn't volunteer, that every request for courses or employment would be denied for the entire company (this was about 15 years ago).
The increased use of email (and the retirement of those who refused to use it) has helped to hasten communication, but for some people, this almost means that they are on call 24/7 having to take time away from life (sometimes from their normal job) to deal with these things and are then told that they can't sign in for them.

Exactly part of my point. In my case, I am just fed up with having to ask for time off from my civilian job aka LOA (Leave of Absence) every year or so to go on a 2 or 3 month Air Force Class B contract. It's just a complete pain having to go through all the hoops of doing yet another LOA. That is just one of the disadvantages, I can easily mention an arm's length, but won't go into detail. You get the point. It would be better (given the current poor manning state) if I was on a Permanent Class B WORKING ONE JOB VICE TWO. This way they could retain my skills and knowledge.

I can't say I agree with a lot of what you're saying here.

The military should make up a 3 year revolving class B job for you just because it will stop you from having to work other jobs?

You're basically arguing to turn reserve units into local reg force units. Under your proposition could your unit post you to the other side of the country because they need you out there for 3 years?

Exactly part of my point. In my case, I am just fed up with having to ask for time off from my civilian job aka LOA (Leave of Absence) every year or so to go on a 2 or 3 month Air Force Class B contract. It's just a complete pain having to go through all the hoops of doing yet another LOA. That is just one of the disadvantages, I can easily mention an arm's length, but won't go into detail. You get the point. It would be better (given the current poor manning state) if I was on a Permanent Class B WORKING ONE JOB VICE TWO. This way they could retain my skills and knowledge.
You signed the dotted line for the reserve terms of service. It is by definition a part time commitment. There are ways to make it work, I was a chef for 12 years, members of my unit are police officers, fire fighters, mechanics, health care worker, all not 9-5 jobs. If you are having a hard time with your work life balance, take a step back and analyze your situation. If you want full time continuous employment from the military, CT, while employment legislation could be better, it also requires you to be engaging, yes not all employers are supportive, I have had plenty of those, but being a reservist isn't easy, nor is it a free pay cheque.

This is a good point, the reserves and those who support them are designed to fit around the schedule of someone who only worked 9-5 Monday to Friday and has no other commitments on weekends.

Actually, the Reserves are perfectly designed to fit the lifestyle of students, aged 16 to 25, before they leave school and start a 'real life'. All of our major training periods are built around the school year.

As such, the Reserves should be a force packed with students, led largely by teachers and people in other public service occupations who have fairly stable local jobs that are 'Reserve schedule friendly'. A guy like me, self-employed in the professional services sector, is perfectly unsuited (in more ways than one ;) ) for Reserve employment.

Ignoring that reality, and not integrating more with the educational/ public sector systems across the country, further distances the Reserves from a truly transformational refresh.

Actually, the Reserves are perfectly designed to fit the lifestyle of students, aged 16 to 25, before they leave school and start a 'real life'. All of our major training periods are built around the school year.

As such, the Reserves should be a force packed with students, led largely by teachers and people in other public service occupations who have fairly stable local jobs that are 'Reserve schedule friendly'. A guy like me, self-employed in the professional services sector, is perfectly unsuited (in more ways than one ;) ) for Reserve employment.

Ignoring that reality, and not integrating more with the educational/ public sector systems across the country, further distances the Reserves from a truly transformational refresh.
Exactly right - with the possible exception of the leadership part.

Reserve service needs to be Class A oriented which means young folks with the time to learn all the appropriate skills and practice them during summer holidays until they are proficient in them and thereafter go into a routine minimum refresher training cycle (rigorously set a year in advance) which can be easily accommodated into family and work schedules.

Class B's should be the exception rather than the rule for longer career courses and filling in for short duration events such as parental leave rather than the plugging of long term holes due to poor Reg F recruiting and training of replacements or to fill ad hoc positions where no actual Reg F PY exists.

As for leadership. Regretfully, I think the age of the civil servant or teacher commanding officer went its way with the C1 rifle (if not the Lee Enfield). There will always be a place for the special individual who can make the time and has the talent to earn his place but the two-week major qualifying MITCP company commander no longer has a place in the system. They are now part of the problem and not the solution.

🍻

As for leadership. Regretfully, I think the age of the civil servant or teacher commanding officer went its way with the C1 rifle (if not the Lee Enfield). There will always be a place for the special individual who can make the time and has the talent to earn his place but the two-week major qualifying MITCP company commander no longer has a place in the system. They are now part of the problem and not the solution.

🍻

Most of them were never part of the solution. Initial commitment to become trained was always necessary, but waived. Few made it through the two weeks a year process, but were valued for their 2-3 evenings a month where they could run the mess or other such priorities.

Most of them were never part of the solution. Initial commitment to become trained was always necessary, but waived. Few made it through the two weeks a year process, but were valued for their 2-3 evenings a month where they could run the mess or other such priorities.
It just shows our priorities are wrong, and is yet another symptom of a broken system

Back