• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Training Scheduled??

PteAJL

Inactive
Reaction score
Okay so after loads and loads of searching, I have established that BMQ for reservists runs on the weekends from September to January, and BMQ-L/SQ happens after but I heard that runs in the summer time.

So what happens for that 5-6 month gap for reservists who complete BMQ on the weekends? Are we just left hanging there until summer time to complete BMQ-L/SQ??

There isn't necessarily a gap.  I did my first BMQ course full time last July, did the second on weekends Nov-March, and I have SQ scheduled this July, but there's people from my last BMQ in different units who are going on SQ/trades training end of May. If it had worked out the way our training officer had wanted, I would have been in Valcartier in June instead. 

Basically, anything could happen, ask(not pester them to insanity) your staff, don't count on it until you get a definite "Yes, you're going, here's your paperwork".

Edit: typing while sleepy is bad

(Not yet)PteAJL,  when you actually do get sworn in and first show up at your unit your chain of command will give you an idea of how things will work out for you.

Depends of the situation.

You surely wont be left without anything. My CofC told me I will be 2nd Lt after BMQ even without BMQ-L. I'll work all winter and spring with my unit and do the rest of my training on the summer. (I have 10 years of civilian experience for the trade I got, that may be a factor). My recruiter told me nobody were left aside between the courses, they want to keep you active.

-Skeletor- said:
(Not yet)PteAJL,  when you actually do get sworn in and first show up at your unit your chain of command will give you an idea of how things will work out for you.

What he said.  Your CofC will tell you your training schedule.  If they aren't then you need to ask them.

Does anyone know if it is too late to be selected for Reserve training this September? I have finished my application process, but I have not received an offer yet.

Its almost the end of June, I highly doubt it.
I only received my offer last week. Chances are all the spots have been filled.

Unfortunately, you may have to wait till next April when the new fiscal year starts.

PteAJL chances are you will be put on a weekend BMQ. Don't assume anything until your unit stands back up in September.

Hax24 once you have an offer than you can worry about the next start date for BMQ. Don't worry to much about it once your in your unit will get you loaded on the next available course.

@Teager

I'm being sent on the summer BMQ at CFB Kingston. Starts on July 3rd.

Even better. I did my BMQ in the summer and still is one of the best times I've had so enjoy it.

So is it possible to be put into a September Reserve BMQ this year? I'm applying to a Hamilton Reserve unit. Last response was a bit unhelpful.

A) I don't exactly trust the advice of someone who just got a job offer.

B) I'm not asking if I should worry about it or not. "Don't worry" is one of the most frustrating pieces of advice anyone can receive.

If it's one of those things that depends on many factors and can't be answered with a yes or no, I'd be fine with that answer.

Hax24, it is hard to say if you will be able to get onto the Fall BMQ serial or not. There are few variables involved with this, so it is hard to give you an answer. IMO, you are going to have to wait till you get into the Reserve unit. Once in, you can ask them as they will be the ones loading you/submitting your name.

Your asking a question that no one here can answer for you. I gave you the same advice as Skeletor of wait until you recieve your offer.

His answer was more detailed than "don't worry about it". As I wrote, it would have been fine if you told me that no one can answer that question, but you didn't. You just said "don't worry about it".

I got enrolled on the 14th, still waiting to here back from my unit as to when I will be doing BMQ, although I would prefer to do it now in the summer, as opposed to on weekends. I haven't heard anything yet but I would prefer to know as soon as possible so I can plan the rest of my summer accordingly, good luck to you guys going on course!

VancouverIslandHunter said:
I got enrolled on the 14th, still waiting to here back from my unit as to when I will be doing BMQ, although I would prefer to do it now in the summer, as opposed to on weekends. I haven't heard anything yet but I would prefer to know as soon as possible so I can plan the rest of my summer accordingly, good luck to you guys going on course!

There are people sworn in at the beginning of April, they will not get on BMQ this summer.

VancouverIslandHunter said:

Hey bud did you receive your kit after you swore in? What unit by the way did you apply for?

PrairieThunder said:
There are people sworn in at the beginning of April, they will not get on BMQ this summer.

Damn, well I'll do it in fall/winter I guess, no big deal, I would have just preferred to do it all at once. @DarkInfantry232, I PM'd you

Back