• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve -> RegF Carryover

Meridian

Inactive
Reaction score
During the short time I was in, I recall several discussions regarding the actual (rather than the preferred) equivalency between rank and training between reg for and reserves.

I apologize if this has been answered sporadically before, but I'm curious about the most current info:

I had heard rumours that a reserve member going on tour with a regf unit would tend to lose at least one rank on that operational tour.. ie a Sgt would be a MCpl for the purposes of the tour, and would retain positions only of that new rank... The basis of this was on the ide athat training and experience would be much less for a reservist than a RegF member.

Exceptions could be made for ex-reg members and such....

Is this totally unfounded? And if so, how does it work now?

Same thing applied to a transfer from reserve to regs....  how much training usually has to be redone? what happens to rank?

(Im speaking generally here).

Thanks!

From what i have heard/seen, it is really a case by case basis, if you have a few years in a are trades qualified, and you are ataying the same trade, depending on the coursees you took, you may be eligable to skip some or all of your training.

When you fill a spot on a deployment, you name will get matched with a position within a program called the CFTPO (the full name escapes me).

Each position will have a high rank and low rank attached to it, along with any other prerequisites. If you are of the appropriate rank and have the skills/courses to fit the job, you go.

As for component transfers, the member has all of his cass A,B, and C time added up. Whatever that equates to is what you get on the reg side. However, I'm not sure that the PLQ will carry over. Past that, most people don't bother. I've seen guys who refure to go Reg because they would lose too much seniority and don't want to go back to being a Cpl again. here is a lot of info on this in previous threads.

Can anyone add to this?

:dontpanic:
J.M.

About the PLQ, 32CBG is the ONLY reserve brigade that offers a full PLQ. We have one of the few instructors to teach MOD 1, the PT phase. With that MOD, the course becomes reg force equivalent, from what I have heard, you will loose rank,pay,seniority, but you will still be leadership qualified.

Well, thats the beauty of it being a modular system. A cpl with the PLQ mods two to six can flip over to the regs, complete the mod 1 course, and they're all set. That would make sense, anyway...but that doesn't make it true.

Does it work like that? Anyone know?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Anyone?

:dontpanic:

Well, I am on the PLQ being run by the 32 CBG battle school, and that is what we were told at the begining of MOD 2. Like that we do MOD 1, and so does the reg course, but if you dont get it, you can always just attach to another course to get it. MOD 1 is not required to pass, so they can do it. I think if you dont have it and go regs, they will give you the leadership course qual, as soon as you can get the MOD1.  I am not sure, this is my understanding from what I have been told. Maby there is someone that works in recruiting that can clarifty this.

For Tours it all depends on what is needed (units short pers) and what "Ottawa" lays down (how many Res the unit will take etc.). I know on Roto 7 (Bosnia 2000), we had Res Sgts as Sect Comds and Reg F jacks as the 2 i/c.  It worked on the most part, as you had Res with a lot of experience and some that did not. From my experience on tours lately the reserves keep the rank, but when it comes time to transfer over to the regs....that magical formula that is used to calculate years in, gets used and one drops a rank.

Back