• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Question - Training

CanadianReserve

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been looking in joining the reserve for a while now and I have decided to join. The main reason I am posting this is I am currently employed at a job that requires me to work (40 hrs/week) and I was wondering with the Training required for any position in the Canadian Armed Forces would it be possible for me to join?

Good Day,

Training requirements for the Primary Reserve vary depending on the unit you're joining and the occupation that you would like to become.  Unfortunately we cannot give a simple answer to your query above.  I highly suggest that you visit the Reserve unit that you're interested in joining and speak with the unit recruiter and the individuals at that unit.

Just as an example, the Naval Reserve only does Summer BMQ where you have to be gone for 8 weeks.  The Army Reserve has co-op BMQ, weekend BMQ and summer BMQ.  Beyond that each trade has it's own training time, some occupations have really short courses (2-3 weeks) for their trade course, others can be closer to 3-4 months for the Reserves.

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen

Reservists, with few exceptions, are part-time and service is designed to work around "normal" work or school hours, ie one evening per week and one or two weekends per month, with full-time courses in the summer. This model varies more with the Air Reserve and likely with the Naval Reserve.

There is much more detail in older threads elsewhere on this Site. You should be researching those - and you'll likely find answers to questions before they even occur to you.

CanadianReserve said:
I have been looking in joining the reserve for a while now and I have decided to join. The main reason I am posting this is I am currently employed at a job that requires me to work (40 hrs/week) and I was wondering with the Training required for any position in the Canadian Armed Forces would it be possible for me to join?

Maybe one of the Reserve Force members here who also work "40-hours" per week are able to answer your question?

Joining the Reserve Force does involve a reasonable commitment on your part but only if you are willing and able to make that commitment.  Seeing as you appear to be currently employed full-time, my best suggestion, would be to speak with your current employer first about this opportunity and see if they too are willing to support you for employment absences due to possible CAF training requirements.

QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES http://army.ca/forums/threads/16735.75.html (eight pages but ignore the first four unless you're under 17) would probably be a good start.

Edit to add: Link courtesy of mariomike.

Back