• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve QL2 & QL3 (the old basic traininig)

I think that that is the kind of question you need to ask your recruiter!

He only had time to explain to me what QL2/3/4 etc. were and not enough time to answer how long.

I spent 4 months every other weekend, plus 6 weeks in the summer when I joined. Now, as I understand it, things are done in "blocks", BMQ etc... I don‘ really know anymore.

My BMQ weekend started from end of march, going usually every other weekend planned to end early/mid june.

SQ and MOC Infantry at Meaford July/August, from what I heard.

Apparently there is also BMQ at meaford in June also, but that‘s out for high school students, I guess.

My unit recruiter has told me:

BMQ - 3 June - 29 June (4 weeks), or,
1 July - 27 July (4 weeks)

SQ - He didn‘t give dates, but said it also lasts for 4 weeks also and starts immediately after both BMQ‘s, which would mean: 1 July - 27 July, and 29 July - 24 August.

MOC (Infantry in my case) could then be done on weekends during the fall, if I recall.

So I may take the early session for both BMQ and SQ and take August off from work, so I still get some sort of holiday this summer.

In other news, I got to see first hand the state of affairs at ASU Downsview, when I went to pick up kit yesterday. The staff were helpful and knew their part, unfortunately the most important kit was out of stock ... combat trousers! They only had size 40... I‘m a 33! And, I‘d probably get in s*** if I buy my own in the correct size!

Im a little worried about my aptittude test. The spatial problems mostly. I took the test last year and I didnt do so well, so I worked harder in math (improved to an 85% average) but I have no clue how to prepare for my spatial part. I cant afford not to get in becasue I have to contibute to my university education somehow and I really would like to avoid selling hamburgers at the local Mc****s.

JH :(

From what I heard about the new system, is that it would almost impossibe to do the following over the summer BMQ/SQ/MOC.

First you do BMQ (Basic Military Qual) which is 20 training days. Here you learn drill, FA, C7 handling, etc. The "basics" that everyone needs. Then you do SQ (Soldier Qual)which is another 20 days where you do the fun stuff like machine guns, patrolling and section attacks. Then you go on to your MOC course which is another
20 training days. And you cannot take out of sequence training (ie. you have to do BMQ, SQ, and then MOC). It sucks because it will essentially take 2 summers to get a fully qualified soldier.

PG, I don‘t think you can do your MOC training over the weekends (I could be wrong) but your MOC requires lots of field time for patrols/section attacks/etc. this would seem to be impossible to do over the weekends.
WRT to the combat pants, who cares if they aren‘t your size :eek: that‘s what a belt is for!!
:rolleyes: . I spent my entire QL2 with size 40 pants (I take a 34) and a 7050 combat shirt!!

Your in the army now PG and the QM has only two sizes in stock..... too big or too small.... :p

Chimo!

:cdn: :cam:

Your in the army now PG and the QM has only two sizes in stock..... too big or too small....
Or in my case, none at all...damn pogues

Glad that‘s sorted out then, about the sizes.

My next question is this:

I know the army gives you ABSOLUTELY everything you need <grin>... they keep telling me so. But, is there anything they might have forgotten anyway that a PTE(R) would be able to get away with adding on BMQ/SQ anyway? I am thinking about a thousand feet of para cord and a a couple rolls of electrical tape for starters, and some elastics to blouse the pants properly... anything else? Like anything more extravagant?

I‘ve heard that suring SQ or MOC, whichever, when you‘re doing advance to contact in full fighting order, the knees and elbows can take quite a beating. Would some low-profile sports-type elbow and knee pads worn under the combats go unnoticed? Or would it result in a beating of a different kind .. from the instructors?

Anyone have a recommendation on a good set of insoles for the boots?

Don‘t listen to any of these guys, I‘ll give you the real gouge.
They take about ten days to show you cam and concealment, how to fire and maintain the rifle, and some basic first aid. Then they set you loose into a 10km x 10km grid that is fenced in by a 30‘ electrified razor wire fence with mines and rabid badger enclousures all the way around. You get your own C7 (C9 if you‘re lucky) issued along with some grenades and claymores. The instructors get live rounds, as do you, and your formerly friendly instructors turn into ministers of death praying for war. If you manage to either a) fight your way past the perimeter and live or b) survive 76 straight hours of having the instructors hunt you down like a puppy inside ‘The Death Grounds‘, then they give you your unit‘s capbadge and then let them train you in your chosen MOC. Sometimes they let the Jedi‘s and sniper types use you as living, breathing, carbon based training aids in lieu of the instructors riddling your body with FMJ rounds.
Still wanna join?

Live rounds, interesting??? And where would you carry a 1,000 ft of para cord????

Sometimes, I am truely amazed at the "quantity" and "quality" of information by this means. There is enough bull to fertilize Alberta.(Which already has enough of its own.)

As to the BMQ/SQ/MOC, each are 20 trg days in lenght and you need all three to be condered a "trained soldier". As to sequence you must do BMQ first, but the other two in any order. As far as I know, the SQ CTP is not completed yet and from what I understand won‘t be out until Jan 2003 at thge ealiest (someone correct me if I‘m wrong.) From my understanding., if you complete BMQ/MOC before the SQ starts up, themn you will be grandfathered and considered trained. If true this shoud make ELOC (or whatever it is now very interesting.

Why is it that that the only ones on here with a friggin sense of humour are the blackhats? Well, and a few fellow infantry privates.
I guess the rumour that you have to foreswear any sense of mirth and jocularity to graduate from JLC is true. Go figure.

I still wet my bed because of the Death Grounds. Wait no, I just have bladder problems.

Se7en: My school has aptitude tests that you can take through guidance, spatial included. That will prepare you for that section.

Portcullis Guy.
From an old Portcullis Guy, the army always appreciates initiative, go to the surplus store across from Moss Park I‘m sure you will find what you need ask for Julie. This may suprise you but your present Brigade Commander was one of the biggest mavericks in the 48th particularly when it came to dress.

Aye Dileas

Thanks for the tip, Art.

And to the others... apparently only the blackhats and the fng infantry (like me) ARE the only ones with a sense of humour! Not only was I kidding about the 1,000-feet of para cord (I meant to say 2,000 ft...) but I thought the Death Grounds bit was a riot.

I hear it‘s riddled with Horse guards‘ ex-tanks!

Agryll: is there any way I could be able to get my hands on those practice tests??

thanks.

Sometimes I should look before I jump and follow the sage advice of fools rush in where angles fear to tread, but...

After you‘ve been at it for awhile, the sense of humour gets rusty, but to prove gunners have a sense of humour, just see who we have to hang around with.

Sometimes after seeing some of the crap on here it is sometimes difficult to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

I still stand by statement about the "quality" of info that is passed on here as fact when in actual fact it is pure unadulterated bulls*** .

pure unadulterated bulls***
Of course it is sir, just like everything else on the internet. I just pretend it‘s a mess, and we all know the stories that get tossed around the mess.

Its not the stories is what bothers me. Anyone and everyone who has done anything has their war stories and that is what mess talk is all about. Most of us could probably write a book.

What I‘m talking about is those that are on a quest for information, and because somebody thinks they know, steer these people in the wrong direction. This includes the good old rumour net. The fastest means of communications in the Army. (In the old days, within 4 hrs of the checks arriving, so did the troopies.)

Rumours and supposition should be stated as such not fact.

Back