• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve QL2 & QL3 (the old basic traininig)

To my knowledge the cut-off for 16-day QL2 was end of August. So I suppose all basic training this fall/winter/spring will be BMQ.

The goal of 20 days for QL3 (basic trade training) is just a recommendation. I‘ll have to doublecheck my information. Some trades may certainly require longer to impart the "essential" level of knowledge.

What will happen to university sudents, I am planning on joining in april(that is earlyest) how can i be ready for the next school year??

JH

Hey, 7 (don‘t mind if I call you that, do you?), What exactly did you mean by your question? And, just out of curiosity (since we‘re joining the same regiment), are you in you last year of high school now? (And, I take it by you‘re message you plan to goto Uni.. What you taking? (I‘m in Engineering))

If you‘ll still be in high school during May and June, you‘d be doing the July/August course.. The guidelines (these dates don‘t nessecarily guarantee getting on the summer course, though) I‘ve received for that say that you should submit your application before the end of April, so you‘d be good for that.. (May/June basic apps should be in by 28 Feb).. I‘ll most likely be doing the may/june course (and hopefully QL3 too this summer, although that remains to be seen..), but I‘m applying right now, as all the people I‘ve talked to in the Loyal Edies recomend joining right now, soI can parade a bit and learn some skills before basic.. But if you can‘t join till April, that should be ok too..

Yeah last year of High School, im most likely taking my pre pro in dentistry, unless something else tickles me. So basically what you have heard is that High School students can only do QL2 this summer? and have to wait another whole year to be QL3 trained??

JH :cdn:

yeah... QL2/3 combined is supposed to run 3 months, so if out of high school you only get a 2 month summer, you won‘t have time to complete it.... That kinda sucks, but that‘s what most of the people I know in the reserves have done... QL2 out of high schoo,, then they did their 3‘s the next summer..

So are you doing DOTP? I have a friend who‘s going to do that, and he‘s joining the reserves too, although he‘s probably joining a medical company..

Whats DOPT? just a question, say for the summer I get QL3 trained since I will have 3 more months am I able to get para trained that same summer??, Im just goning to go normal INF coy

I‘m still a full-time civie (applying in less than 2 weeks...), who‘s doing roughly the same thing, but about Para, I‘m gonna have to say probably no. From what I‘ve heard from everyone I‘ve asked on the issue, the Para course is really hard to get onto through the reserves (who do you want better trained: the militia or the reg force?).. Spots are available, but only the top couple of soldiers in the unit who apply get it. (from what I‘ve heard). So, basically, you need to parade a lot, and take the job seriously, and prove that you deserve the course more than other people.. This would take a while. But don‘t quote me on this, it may not be entirely correct, it‘s just what I‘ve heard from some people in the LER...

As for DOTP, it stands for Dental Officer Training Program.. basically, they pay for your dentistry schooling (not your pre-dentistry, though) and you have to be a dentist in the army for a set amount of years after you finish dentistry school..

Heres a part answer.As of Aug 01.
1. QL 2 is only basic training, and most summer contracts are gaged to only one course per.
2. QL3 can be run by the REGT if it can run a full course.
3. Most Res courses are cut down for school reasons.
4. In Jan 02 all courses will be set to the new standard, for the reg force and summer 02 for res.
5. This is to prevent repeat training that costs money.
6. For para courses for Res are hard unless you are with a jump unit. ie Loyal Edmonton Regt, Queen Own Rifles, Regt de Sagania.
Sgt J. CD,CDS com :tank:

1. QL 2 is only basic training, and most summer contracts are gaged to only one course per.

yeah.. I thought (by the way an e-mail was worded) that there was a may-june AND a July-august basic, but that (from what I‘ve heard from everyone else) might (and probably is not) correct.

6. For para courses for Res are hard unless you are with a jump unit. ie Loyal Edmonton Regt

The Loyal Edies are a jump unit? wow.. i never knew that.. AND, What exactly is entailed by jump regiment.. Just that many are trained for para, or do they do other stuff too? (I was told by a member of the Loyal Edies that I‘d be doing tactical stuff in a chopper in 3 years of service.. this apply to other (non-jump) units too?)

The Loyal Eddies used to have a para tasking but not anymore. The only reserve unit that still does that **** is the QOR in Toronto.

I wouldn‘t mind hearing how the process is going for all the other (potential) recruits. For all the bitching I hear about how terrible it is to get in, my experience has been, thus far, excellent. The office here in Ottawa must have better resources. Either that or all the talk I‘ve heard about the CF improving it‘s recruiting process has actually turned into something.

So what kind of waits have you had so far? I‘m still on the ‘hurry up‘ part of ‘hurry up and wait‘. Getting my applicatin forms/package tomorrow. I‘ve already gone to ask for reference letters, and am sending out a transcript request form.. Should be getting all that a week from monday, then a week from thursday (I get off class early that day) I should be dropping it all of, and getting to the ‘wait‘ part of application.. :)

I went down to the recruiting office on Sept. 13, I think. I picked up all the application forms and such and went back on Monday after I got everything together. I go back on Oct. 10 for the medical and interview. Initially the recruiter told me that the Cameron‘s are starting a QL2 on Oct. 12, but 2 days seems like a really short time between getting tested on starting a QL2. I‘ll have to clearify that when I go back.

Considering I‘ve heard people say that they applied in Sept. and got in around Jan., I think it‘s pretty good.

supposedly medicals are supposed to take like a week to process the paperwork afterwards or something...

I hope mine recruiting process goes smoothly.

Just to clarify, cause I keep messing up my questions. I will most likely take Ql2 this summer ( i am in high school and only have a 2 month summer) . Next summer 2003 I will be in Uni and will have a 4 month summer. Does this mean I can take my QL3 and then my QL4 of some other course in that same summer??

JH :confused:

once again, don‘t quote me on this.. Anyone who‘s acutally gone through the process, please correct me if I‘m wrong, or elaborate..

From what I gather, you need to serve with the unit for a year after QL3, before you do your QL4 (which qualifies you for Corpral)..

Roko: That is not true. I took my QL4 just a month after I graduated QL3. There is a program in LFCA where troops complete a QL2 during the training year, and then get sent on a QL3 and 4 that summer.

That I didn‘t know. I read somewhere that you had to serve a year first, but I guess that was a bit inaccurate.

I applied Aug 20th. I have done aptitude and physical. Waiting for security check to come back to be able to schedule medical and interview with officer board. This opportunity to schedule should happen in the next day or two.

Here is a little chuckle. After doing my aptitude testing and handing in all my paperwork for OF infantry, I received a call from the recruiter, two days later, telling me that there was a snag in my paper work. It seems my University transcripts, although listing all the courses I took and the marks, did not actually indicate that I had been conferred a degree (as it had been originally printed off prior to graduation). Thus I could not proceed with the PT testing. Fine I said and had the degree couriered up overnight from the parent‘s house, took 1/2 day off work and brought it in to the recruiting center and had them make an official copy of this degree. "Can I now schedule my PT test", yes came the reply. That being done, a week later I took another 1/2 day off work to do the PT test. Passed. Two days later I get another call from the recruiter, there has been another snag. Seems that although an official, signed copy of my degree lay beside my transcripts in my file, the transcripts, not actually saying that I had been conferred a degree, was now causing my file to be delayed again for the security check. "But", I said, "you know I have a degree because you can see it right there in the files." The recruiter paused, "yesss...I see that", but we still need the proper transcripts and we can‘t proceed until this happens. "BUT...", then I shut my mouth, smiled into the phone and said. "Of course I understand perfectly". Took another full day off work to drive to the university get my transcripts, drive to the recruiting center and wait for an appointment to hand them in. "Can my file now be processed onward" I asked. "Yes" came the reply...of course I‘m skeptical and I will be phoning them everyday from now until I‘m able to schedule my medical. The moral of the story? a) If everything in the recruiting process seems to be going along fine, something is wrong, so check. b) be persistent, If they tell you that you will be contacted, ask them when you can contact them and do so. c) In the face of mind-boggling beauracy that seems asine, remember that in essence, it‘s your fault for not following the instructions to the letter, or in reverse, following them to the letter, either way nothing will be accomplished by blustering, just smile and say yes sir/ma‘m. You can‘t fight the man, he‘s too strong ;) . See I‘m not even a CF member yet and I have already experienced my first brush with red-tape. The bastards haven‘t got me down yet! :D

PS - Anyone know how long it takes the Officer board to make a decision. I hope to be able to sign on the dotted line in mid-Nov so that I can take a short vacation in advance of Jan 2002 BOTC

B.

aaagh!!! You‘re scaring me.. don‘t say that ‘b‘ word again! :)

So, I‘ll be applying in the next couple of weeks, for reserve infantry (NCM), and I‘ve got some questions.. What‘s the physical test like, and what‘s the medical test like, to those who have done it recently.. What do they look for?

I am still in the application process (passed my aptitude test and interview with highest recommendation! Have my medical/phyiscal wed. night) and trying to get my training this summer.

Do you know how long the QL2 and QL3 will take and what I should expect?

Back