• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve NCM to Reserve Officer

dangles

Inactive
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, but I felt like maybe this deserved its own..I accept whatever negative milpoints come my way.

Anyway, I will be completing my degree in May of next year, and in the mean time I expect to be a Pte. at my local infantry reserve unit [barring this summer's DP1 goes as planned]. How would I go about becoming an officer in my unit once my degree is completed? I was told in the past that my unit only accepts people to become officer's who are already in the ncm ranks...so I am wondering what process I'd have to go through?

Furthermore, if I was a Pte., or even waited it out until I was a Cpl, do you guys have any idea if any of the courses I took would be credited on my transfer to officer? I'm assuming that I would probably only get credited for BMQ in replace of BMOQ, but if anyone has other ideas please let me know.

You need to do a occupational transfer which is mostly dealt with by your unit (unless your going reg force then you need to do a component transfer). Any trade specific courses you took would not count towards officer training (as they have a completely different training process). Also your BMQ would not count as your BMOQ either (unless you got really lucky). The only courses that you would actually keep (and be worth something) would be stuff like Driver Wheel and Comms etc.
Otherwise good luck  :)

Eaglelord17 said:
You need to do a occupational transfer which is mostly dealt with by your unit (unless your going reg force then you need to do a component transfer). Any trade specific courses you took would not count towards officer training (as they have a completely different training process). Also your BMQ would not count as your BMOQ either (unless you got really lucky). The only courses that you would actually keep (and be worth something) would be stuff like Driver Wheel and Comms etc.
Otherwise good luck  :)

Really, BMQ would not count for BMOQ? I find that strange because the 2LT on my course was put on a BMQ course and not a BMOQ course [and I am assuming he was DEO]. I would like to stay within the reserve system though so I would not need a CT. But, how would one go about getting an OT?

dangles said:
But, how would one go about getting an OT?

Going officer from NCM is not an OT.

Go talk to your chain of command. Thats where you need to start.

CDN Aviator said:
You get that they are 2 different courses right ?
Yes...
I am saying that my 2LT did not go on a BMOQ, he was put onto a BMQ course, and this was someone who was most likely a DEO. Using logical reasoning I would assume that maybe then my BMQ course would carry over upon switching to officer and negate the need to do a BMOQ, considering a new officer I know did not even have to do BMOQ during his direct entry.

I could always talk to my chain of command, but I kind of wanted to get more info on the matter before I go into my unit as an untrained Pte. attempting to switch to Officer...maybe some information for someone who has done this in the past. Thank you for the help though.

dangles said:
Using logical reasoning I would assume that maybe then my BMQ course would carry over upon switching to officer and negate the need to do a BMOQ,

That person had more training to do afterwards as they are an officer. As i understand it, it is common for officers and NCM to be together on reserve BMQ serials and then the officers carry on to leadership specific training to finish off their BMOQ.

Thank you for the help though.

In the end, you will still have to talk to your chain of command.

CDN Aviator said:
That person had more training to do afterwards as they are an officer. As i understand it, it is common for officers and NCM to be together on reserve BMQ serials and then the officers carry on to leadership specific training to finish off their BMOQ.

In the end, you will still have to talk to your chain of command.

Yeah I would be fine and willing to do the extra officer training one needs to do after basic.  But the thought of going through another basic training, be it BMQ or BMOQ, is disconcerting.

Saw your edit....I understand now a bit better.

dangles said:
is disconcerting.

Well, if being an officer is what you want, you'll have to do whatever it is they tell you that you have to, right ?

So why worry about it.

CDN Aviator said:
Well, if being an officer is what you want, you'll have to do whatever it is they tell you that you have to, right ?

So why worry about it.
Good point.

CDN Aviator said:
One last thing from me:

Good luck.

Thank you, I am sure I will need it if ever I get a commission.

If anyone else has anything helpful to add please let me know!

Contrary to what you've been told above, some of your training as an NCM may equate to partia or completely written off courses as an officer. BMQ, for instance, should satisfy the requirements for some of BMOQ; Inf DP1 and DP2 may write a mod of BMOQ-L and PLQ write off some more. Complete your warrant's course and you'll most likely have all your training written off.

BMOQ-L is very much a recruit course, and one you must prepare yourself to do. It is a fair deal more challenging than PLQ. IODP is, dare I say as someone who's never attended, one of the most physically demanding courses the army has to offer. Therefore, I suggest being less disconcerted.

Shamrock said:
some of your training as an NCM may equate to partia or completely written off courses as an officer. 

I never said anything different.

What i did say is "BMQ does not equal BMOQ". So the OP does not get a by on BMOQ as he thought. Parts of it, maybe.

CDN Aviator said:
I never said anything different.

What i did say is "BMQ does not equal BMOQ". So the OP does not get a by on BMOQ as he thought. Parts of it, maybe.

You're typically on my ignore list - I can assure you my comment pertained to the comments above yours. 

Just out of curiosity, say for example my BMQ wrote off some portions of BMOQ-L. Would I then have to be put on a BMOQ-L course and then only show up for the stuff that I would have missed, or would something else be done through my regiment where perhaps an officer would train me on parade nights?

I just commissioned after 7 years as a reserves NCM

here's what i got equivalency for

BMQ = BMOQ part 1

nothing else counted.

I'm currently on BMOQ part 2 and have to redo everything even though my SQ/BMQ-L covers most of the field work.

nothing in BMQ/SQ/Trades training is equivalent to anything on BMOQ-L when I inquired

This is a former infantry cpl on my course as well who has completed everything up to PLQ including winter warfare and machine gunners course and he still has to be taught how to light a stove and lantern again on BMOQ part 2 cause the course isn't broken up in a way where you can skip certain PO/EOs

To clarify:
BMQ - common for all reservists
BMOQ part 2 - field work as per BMQ-L plus leadership bits and small party taskings - 3 weeks full time
BMOQ-L - some more BMQ-L bits but a lot more leadership bits and how to lead section attacks/offensive/defensive - 10 weeks full time
Phase 3 trades course

Globemaster said:
I just commissioned after 7 years as a reserves NCM

here's what i got equivalency for

BMQ = BMOQ part 1

nothing else counted.

I'm currently on BMOQ part 2 and have to redo everything even though my SQ/BMQ-L covers most of the field work.

nothing in BMQ/SQ/Trades training is equivalent to anything on BMOQ-L when I inquired

This is a former infantry cpl on my course as well who has completed everything up to PLQ including winter warfare and machine gunners course and he still has to be taught how to light a stove and lantern again on BMOQ part 2 cause the course isn't broken up in a way where you can skip certain PO/EOs

To clarify:
BMQ - common for all reservists
BMOQ part 2 - field work as per BMQ-L plus leadership bits and small party taskings - 3 weeks full time
BMOQ-L - some more BMQ-L bits but a lot more leadership bits and how to lead section attacks/offensive/defensive - 10 weeks full time
Phase 3 trades course

Very informative, thank you Globemaster.

Hello, so up front, I have researched the following questions as much as I could. I received some answers, most were mixed or outdated and I've checked with my CoC who also seem unsure so just wanted to see if anybody else here knew.

Currently a Reserve Sig, MCpl who completed PLQ-A last year. I plan to start on working on my degree (I already have a 3 year technical diploma and will be doing a one year program to get my degree) this year. I wanted to OT to reserve officer, particularly Log O. Here are where my questions come.

My degree will be a Bachelor of Technology. Although it sounds more towards science, the degree is more focused around management, business and stats, etc. Would it be a suitable degree for a Log O?

Secondly, if my OT get's accepted before I finished my degree, will I become a Officer Cadet or 2Lt? Not that it matters, but still curious regardless.

Thirdly, where I have PLQ-A, would CAP be written off? Some have told me yes and others have said no.

Lastly, would I be able to do the Log O courses before I finish my degree or does it have to be totally finished before I do the phase training? Also, how long is the log o phase training?

Back